Author Topic: what do I do? head studs stripped block  (Read 2227 times)

Fillsrunner4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
what do I do? head studs stripped block
« on: Mar 17, 2007, 07:49:37 PM »
Ya so i bought the head stud kit from LC engeneering for the 5VZ-FE. They call it the 5VZ Pro Head Stud KIT for $200 .  It sereously stripped out one whole side of my block without even knowing it, I followed all of there instructions and it stripped the whole side. I called them after one stud had stripped on thursday. it cost me about $30 shipped for one stud. Know after putting the rest in i found it ended up stripping the entire block. WTF i dont know what to do. Im thinking of getting a tap and tapping the block out and putting in some V8 studs or something bigger/stronger. I called them and they said they sell 2 sizes? Not according to their web site. Dont buy from them online it is not the first thing they've sold me that royaly sucked :maddest: :maddest: :maddest:

Any ideas on what to do for new studs or bolts for the heads? or is it new block time?
 :down:
94' Runner
3 Gens yota
More to come soon

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Re: what do I do? head studs stripped block
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2007, 12:40:45 AM »
Find what the thread pitch is & buy a heli-coil kit. It comes with the tap & new threads. You will have to drill slightly larger, run the tap in, then thread in the new threads. Or get another block.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2007, 02:09:26 PM »
I watched a mechanic do a head gasket job on a 3.0 toy motor, and I saw what he was torquing them too.  And then he took out a cheater bar and gave them another 1/4 turn on top of that!  I was like what the fudge you doing?  He handed me the paper work and I read what he had done!  I was amazed the bolts didn't strip out!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Fillsrunner4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2007, 04:27:36 PM »
I watched a mechanic do a head gasket job on a 3.0 toy motor, and I saw what he was torquing them too.  And then he took out a cheater bar and gave them another 1/4 turn on top of that!  I was like what the fudge you doing?  He handed me the paper work and I read what he had done!  I was amazed the bolts didn't strip out!
Well you are supossed to do that but mine sripped all of them out .  I guess that they sent me the wrong size but it didnt show any sign till after i took them out.  If i hadnt then who knows what might have happend real quick.  I thought about a helicoil it just think it may be easyier to just tap them out a bit. Easyier may not be best though.  Any more ideas?
94' Runner
3 Gens yota
More to come soon

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2007, 04:32:32 PM »
how much can you try and tap them out and still fit the stud through the rocker arms?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Fillsrunner4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »
how much can you try and tap them out and still fit the stud through the rocker arms?
what do you mean? there are no roker arms its not set up like that.  The holes in the heads could be drilled out maybe a bit i guess but I dont think it will be neccesary.  I think what I need to do is drill out the block and tap it a bit and uses a standard thread bolt the right length insted. 
94' Runner
3 Gens yota
More to come soon

Fillsrunner4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »
Oh ya F the studs im just gonna use head bolts
94' Runner
3 Gens yota
More to come soon

Fillsrunner4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2007, 06:46:55 AM »
So I have decided to just bring it to a local Machine shop to have them fix it for me.  LC wont return me any money  :thumbs: got to love them but enough bashing.  Ill post some pics as soon as I get the block back and also with my new set of 37x14x15 IROKS :king:
94' Runner
3 Gens yota
More to come soon