Author Topic: Wet weather operation  (Read 2862 times)

Highwayman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Wet weather operation
« on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:30:25 AM »
 :smack:
Does anyone have trouble with driving in heavy rain. While driving over 50mph on the interstate, my engine loses power in the mid to upper rpm range forcing me to slow down and downshift. When I get home I always pop the hood trying to figure out the problem I have water setting on the aircleaner cover. both battery terminals have water on them also. My fan has no shroud around it. Under my engine I installed a metal sheild off an 82' I have also the frame covers on both sides of the fenderwell. Is there supposed to be a rubber gasket along the front of the hood? Thanks for the suggestions!!!
1980 Hilux 4X4

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: Wet weather operation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2007, 07:53:43 PM »
Take a look under the air cleaner there should be a rubber gasket in contact with carb to air cleaner. Honestly in a heavy downpour the air box could be sucking down the rain, I typically slow down in the pouring rain my toy dosent like hitting puddles at 50 +, just not a heavy enough truck.

You may want to check the distributor as well there is a rubber gasket that goes around the cap to base you may be getting moisture inside the cap as well, carry a can of WD 40 the next down pour your are in.

Check spark plug wire ends as well use a little grease on connections to displace moisture.

check plugs as well if there is a firing problem it should show up on the plug

Good luck
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Highwayman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2007, 08:05:13 AM »
:thumbs:
Thanks for the suggestions I have thought that the air cleaner to carb gasket needed replacing and will try that the distributor gasket is good. Its hard for me to slow down below 55mph as the speed limit on our interstate 70 is 65mph. I'm going to look for some covers for the battery terminals also thanks again!!

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
How wide of a tire are you running? Believe it or not standing water on the highway crossed with a wide tire creates ALOT of drag. Have you ever gone through a huge puddle somewhat fast and felt your truck slow down? Same idea just a constant puddle your driving through.

Kevin

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »
just because the speed limit is 65 -doesn't mean you have to drive 65mph .  if weather condition is bad you have to slow down  
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

Highwayman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »
Regarding my speed I typically drive at 55mph or below allot of the other drivers on that road drive over the speed limit of 65mph I may hit 60 mph on a downhills mountain crossing for about 1/2 mile. Regarding my tire size BFG Allterrain 31/10.50 15 so could they be spraying water into any gaps in between my frame guard up into my engine bay? Thanks!!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2007, 02:43:44 PM »
Regarding my tire size BFG Allterrain 31/10.50 15 so could they be spraying water into any gaps in between my frame guard up into my engine bay? Thanks!!!
no, no water will come in your engine bay....u do have the stock inner fenderwells still right?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2007, 02:53:32 PM »
its normal... its a little thing called too much humidity..... vehicles dont like injesting water.....

the tires arent doing anything.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2007, 03:16:01 PM »
no  its not normal  the  truck shouldnt be loosing power  because of a little water,  i have driven  my truck in torential dowpours   with no skid  and  inner fenders  but the little rubber things have been gone ALONG time

it never sputters  or  lacks power,  but  my distributor  is  sprayed with WD40  every time i  open it  and  my  coil wires  are  sealed  with silicone
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Highwayman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2007, 05:56:44 PM »
Stock inner fenderwells, also I have owned 2 other Hilux 4x4's  before owning this one with this problem never happening? Thanks for all the input I will try spraying the distributor in WD40 maybe.

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2007, 09:21:17 PM »
distributer is probably your problem. it the only thing thats ever slowed me down in the rain.