Author Topic: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets - trust it or not?  (Read 13466 times)

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
i bet if you used the hood i use, you'd be saving money for one...that hood is the poop
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
:headscratch: You're supposed to wear a helmet when welding??? ???

:dunno:  I wear my motorbike helmet when welding.  Everybody points and laughs, but I'm not sure if it's the normal pointing and laughing or the "look, he's welding with a motorbike helmet on!" pointing and laughing.  I dunno though, I can't even see what I'm typing now....my eyes feel all itchy, kinda like they have sand in them...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
The Auto-Darkening welding shieds work great.  I haven't done much welding but the first time I welded I used a relly old one that didn't have the Auto-Darkening and I couldn't even see what I was doing.  Once I used a Auto-Darkening sheid and it made all the difference.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
The Auto-Darkening welding shieds work great.  I haven't done much welding but the first time I welded I used a relly old one that didn't have the Auto-Darkening and I couldn't even see what I was doing.  Once I used a Auto-Darkening sheid and it made all the difference.

that's where the whole Pre-position your stick, neck flick, and pull the trigger method come in. I use a standard hood too, but it's nice to have one that allows you to not pop the hood up all the time as well.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
That really doesnt' work when your using a stick welder....which is all I have used.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
sure it does...plant your wrist and then use the flick method :) do you have a foot pedal?
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Well I still think that it makes everythink mutch easier with the Auto-Darkening Shield.  I have always used the Auto-Darkening sheid except for my first time.  And that is probably why it was so much harder.  My friend's Dad had to leave for a bit and my friend and I were working on an exhaust piece and my friends Dad just say to play around with it and to try not to burn a hole in it.  I couldn't see anything.

Oregon Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 197
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
  the 200-300$ autos are awesome to weld with, not sure about the one U got, but the last shop I worked at, one of the guys bought a cheapo one, he sees spots all the time, hes not blind yet but give it time. So if u start to see spots I would use something else!!!
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I think the one I use at work is a speedscreen??  It's a really nice hood, probably way outa my pricerange!

Edit: speedglas!
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2007, 10:12:17 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
1/11,000 sec from pop to dark...now that's quality
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
I bought one of the early ones, about 12 years ago...no solar panel but for $280 it has a really big lense...tint, sensitivity, and delay controls...1/25,000 second switching speed...still works fine.

About 10 years back i didn't have my welder set up, i had to make a quick stop to get the bipod on my .50cal welded before going to the range. I brought my helmet with me so i could watch, but the guy at the shop had an old-type lens, so i offered to let him use mine, he declined...started welding with his old-type and i watched...he stopped...i look up to find out why, without lifting my helmet...he asks to switch, we trade and he starts with his helmet raised, i have to tell him how to use it...he welds a few seconds, looks at me in surprise, then welds the whole thing.

He really wanted to get one...he was amazed at how easier it was. I want to upgrade to solar with the external tint-control knob, but mine still works good so  :dunno:
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
 I have a Miller elite flame hood. I am a welder by trade and weld 10 to 12 hours a day 5 days a week. When i'm not using it at work I weld for my dad in his machine shop on the weekends. I've had the hood for over a year now and have had zero trouble with it. I think it's bar none the best investment i've made as far as welding equipment. I would recomend it to anyone.
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda

well that explains it...
you should have see how much he welded my exhaust! it was a monster...it went from about 1/16 of an inch thick to 2.5 inches thick :yikes: ! i guess that works cause no one has to look at it...LOL
i don't think that piece is breaking off anytime soon! :flamer:
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Stinky

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 636
  • Member since Aug '05
  • my wifes vagine, it hangs like a sleeve of wizard
    • View Profile
the miller elite is the way to go...i started weldin w/ the old-school-flick-ure-head-down style...its nice cuz of the bigger window...but once i started usin an auto lense, it was a whole new world....i have the jackson nexGen hood...its $300 and it was a graduation gift almost 2 years ago...its one of the best $ can buy...but the cartridge is heavy and the window is small...

but if u can get used to the old school style, run the gold lense(i forget who mentioned it on the last page), but its AMAZING how clear the puddle looks...alot of guys that run dual shield or high production( as in 40-50' beads at a time) SWEAR by the old school style, just cuz of the big window(4 1/2" x 5 1/4")...

when my batteries went dead last year at work, i borrowed a co-worker's miller elite, WOW, it weighs practically nothing and the windows just a tad bigger and the headgear is alot more comfortable...especially after a 10 hour shift... 6 days a week.... just my $.02

as for trusting it, i would, since their designed so that even if they dont start right up, u just get a minor flash...which shouldnt phase you for more than a minute or so...my jackson, if you forget to turn it on, its a shade 12-13...
87 p/u SAS, 22RE, built, then cut up and scrapped

94 ex cab P/U, SR5, fully loaded, 3.4 swap, r150f, a/c, bumpers, 33s, glass fenders...sold

00 Stoopid Duty 250, ex cab, lariat, v-10,000

94 reg cab, 22re, duals, 38.5 boggers, sas, 4 link, tube bed, build underway... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967836

88 Samurai, soa, buick 3.8, th350, zuki case, 1/4 done... anyone wanna buy it??

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
love them can´t work with out them
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arb´s  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
the miller elite is the way to go...i started weldin w/ the old-school-flick-ure-head-down style...its nice cuz of the bigger window...but once i started usin an auto lense, it was a whole new world....i have the jackson nexGen hood...its $300 and it was a graduation gift almost 2 years ago...its one of the best $ can buy...but the cartridge is heavy and the window is small...

but if u can get used to the old school style, run the gold lense(i forget who mentioned it on the last page), but its AMAZING how clear the puddle looks...alot of guys that run dual shield or high production( as in 40-50' beads at a time) SWEAR by the old school style, just cuz of the big window(4 1/2" x 5 1/4")...

when my batteries went dead last year at work, i borrowed a co-worker's miller elite, WOW, it weighs practically nothing and the windows just a tad bigger and the headgear is alot more comfortable...especially after a 10 hour shift... 6 days a week.... just my $.02

as for trusting it, i would, since their designed so that even if they dont start right up, u just get a minor flash...which shouldnt phase you for more than a minute or so...my jackson, if you forget to turn it on, its a shade 12-13...
I love my elite. I think the Miller hoods are like a shade 9 or 10 when it's not on, so your not going to get flashed if you forget to turn it on. They are a very comfortable hood to use all day. Like I stated before, I use mine daily and have nothing but good to say about it. I paid around $300 for mine also.
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

MT4Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
  • FToy 086
    • View Profile
But I prefer the traditional style helmet too, because I use a gold lense.  It helps you see your puddle MUCH more clearer, and they're not that expensive to upgrade your regular helmet.

Wow--didn't know that.   Thanks for the tip!

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
ya, the other day at school, i tried both the regular lense and a gold lense.  same exact hood, just with different lenses.  The traditional lense was just an orange glow where the puddle was, and i couldnt see anything around it.  but the gold lense makes it look like your not even using a hood and the light isnt brite...does that make sense?  the colors aren't changed at all by the lense, and you can see all around the puddle.  to me, or any other accasional welder, the regular flip down hood makes more sense since its way cheap, and only like 10.00-20.00 more for the gold lense.  but if your going to be welding alot, spend the money and get an auto darkener. 

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
i might have to check out the hold lense...sounds interesting. how much do they run?
MY BUILD UP THREAD

MT4Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
  • FToy 086
    • View Profile
A regular Shade 10 lens is about $10.  A gold lens (standalone replacement) is $18-25, IIRC.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
not the best shot of the hood, but this is the hobart hood i've been using...it worked great til it fell and the lense got damaged :(
MY BUILD UP THREAD

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
i might have to check out the hold lense...sounds interesting. how much do they run?

airgas has the gold lenses for under 15.00

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
cool...there's one about 7 miles from here... that's where i pick up tips/electrodes...i need some new/nicer gloves so i might check some out when i go up there
MY BUILD UP THREAD

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I've got the HF special auto darkener ($49.99 on sale) and I love it.  The reliability of the darkening is somewhat irritating at times though.  I weld outside, and if happen to glance toward the sun or something that reflects it, and I'm not welding, it'll cause it to darken.  :hahaha:  guess thats a good thing.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
that pre position/ flip hood trick never works for me...the time i flip my hood i'm way out of position ha,or sometimes i'm pre positioning and before i flip the hood i flash myself(happened maybe 2 or 3 times) sucks...i've seen harbor freight had some cheap auto darking ones reg for 80/90 bucks and had a sell...think i got it for 40? ...havent used it yet because the time i got it we moved onto oxy...

but  the reaction time is 1/20,000 secs....solor ppowered.....made by western saftey..

was thinking i probly should have kicked in another 10 bucks for the ones that have the rechargable battery.. and also would be able to sport some flames haha..
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
would not weld with out one, saw a helmet the other day that I wanted bad.
a three way helmet. grind, gas, arc. sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :drooling:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
here's my take..  im sorry i did not read through all the psots.. but  auto darkening helmets are awesome, if you do not weld for your career... I feel you will go blind or loose your vision because there is that very quick reaction time form the initial strike to the helmet darkeneing.. if you weld occasionally.. THen the auto darkeneing are brilliant..

sorry if this was already stated.. just do not have time to read through the entire post...
Jeep

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
ive had a jackson eqc hood for about 4 years now and havent had a single problem with it i do fab work for a living and we have 3 of the jackson eqc's at work that we have had for about 5 years and they get the crap beat out of them one even got thrown acrost the shop at a coworker when some one go pissed off and it still works fine, by far the most durable hood ive ever used, id like a new next gen with the new flexable hood but i need mine to die first and i dont see that happening any time soon

toy4x4ota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 468
  • Member since May '05
  • learning how to drive
    • View Profile
another one for the HF 69.99 special. under 100 dollars with a 2 year replacment plan, cant beat that.  my hood hasnt given me any trouble yet and i use it pretty often.
Liqour in the front   Poker in the rear

LIFTED TRUCKS ARE GAY

85 toy, 223:1, welded/welded, 38's, running on PANE

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
ive used the hf hoods and trust me if you ever use a nice one 200-300 doller range you will never go back there is definatly a difference, the hf hood i used had a bunch of lines and black dots in it and it wasent very clear but the nice ones are cristal clear view of the puddle and area sarrownding it