Author Topic: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets - trust it or not?  (Read 13483 times)

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets - trust it or not?
« on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:35:40 PM »
I bought this Lincoln AutoHelmet at Home Depot for $100.
I look inside and crap my pants to read "If helmet does not darken, check battery or refer to owners manual".   ???  WTF, these things aren't reliable?  Am I gonna go blind?

You're the pros, let's hear your take.  If you seasoned guys tell me that you use standard helmets only, I'm taking this thing back.

Thanks a million, I appreciate it.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I have to say I have use an auto darkening helmet for years and can still see.

So long as you get the right shade and it darkens when it is supposed to you will be OK.

When the batteries go weak or there is not enough light going to the sensor it will sometimes flash you, but for the most part they are great. It sucks to go back to a standard helmet after using one.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
yeah, they work great.

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
They work well, if it does not darken you will know right away and be able to check it out and get it fixed.

Wayne

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i trust an autodarken helemt to darken faster than me with the hood up flipping the hood down once i strike the arc ;)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
they work well...i'd suggest the solar rechargeable helmets :)

I need a new lense for one...it fell off the hood of the truck :(
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
This is the one I have and love it http://millerwelds.com/products/weldinghelmets/elite.php

The only time I get blinded is when I forget to turn it on  :shocking:!
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
is it true that miller owns hobart now? I'm trying to get a replacement lense for my helmet
MY BUILD UP THREAD

welder2000

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
I've been a welder for 15 years and have tried them and don't like them at all, you go to use them and the batery is dead or it does'nt work I just stay old school it never fails to work.
83 toy Clovis, CA

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
I have to say I have use an auto darkening helmet for years and can still see.

So long as you get the right shade and it darkens when it is supposed to you will be OK.

When the batteries go weak or there is not enough light going to the sensor it will sometimes flash you, but for the most part they are great. It sucks to go back to a standard helmet after using one.

X2  I love mine!  My brother in law who welds for a living is not allowed to use an auto darening hood at his job and dosen't like my hood. He says its not dark enough for him.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
Get a Hobart with adjustable sensitivity, delay, and darkness.  Now that I have one I can't stand using a regular helmet.  Most of them have around a shade 4 lense even if it is not tuned on so if it isn't working you will know right away but it shouldn't damage your eyes too badly if you quit right away.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
I use my miller auto darkening unit every day at work.  5 months straight since i got the helmet and it hasn't failed me once.  mine has the easy light/darkening nob on the outside of the helmet so i can adjust it while welding.  going back to the oldschool ones while welding at a friends house just plain sucks.  i have flashed my self counltess times because i forget to turn it on but i can still see pretty good.

kentuckyken

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 107
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Gotta start somewhere!
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies
I've been welding for 34 years and I've had 4 eye operations. 2 cataracts (4 yrs ago) and 2 to remove film/scar tissue (3 yrs ago) that came back. I take care of my eyes now and I have been using this helmet for 14 months with no problems and it's 5 thousandths slower turn on than the Miller link above. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91214
I shy away from their brand of welders but I love the helmet.

Yota85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Deep Sea Diving
    • View Profile
I used auto darkening all through welding school they are great. They work so good I wish they had them for underwater welding.
83 SR5 short box  5.29 detroit rear aussie front 3inch 33bfg mt's

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
It sucks to go back to a standard helmet after using one.

:yesnod:  Going back to standard after autodarkening is like going back to solo love making after being in a relationship.  It'll get you by but it's not near as nice!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
loki, miller has owned hobart for awhile
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I bought this Lincoln AutoHelmet at Home Depot for $100.
I look inside and crap my pants to read "If helmet does not darken, check battery or refer to owners manual".   ???  WTF, these things aren't reliable?  Am I gonna go blind?

You're the pros, let's hear your take.  If you seasoned guys tell me that you use standard helmets only, I'm taking this thing back.

Thanks a million, I appreciate it.

Even if it doesnt turn on and you stop pretty fast, you should be fine.  I've gotten flashed plenty of times at school and I never got arc flash.  Maybe its just me, or maybe it'll catch up with me later on in life...I dont know.  But I prefer the traditional style helmet too, because I use a gold lense.  It helps you see your puddle MUCH more clearer, and they're not that expensive to upgrade your regular helmet.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007, 10:21:11 PM by toyotman22r »

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
loki, miller has owned hobart for awhile
then where do i get a replacement lense for my hobart hood? hobart's website doesn't list this hood anymore and it's only 2-3 years old
MY BUILD UP THREAD

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
then where do i get a replacement lense for my hobart hood? hobart's website doesn't list this hood anymore and it's only 2-3 years old

How about a welding shop that carries the miller/hobart line
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
I have had mine for 3yr and love it. It sucks using a flip down now
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
How about a welding shop that carries the miller/hobart line

Well i went in there and the guy was a little shady. he told me that it would cost more than a new hood. He also didn't sell new electrodes or tips for the plasma cutter, so i went to another welding shop and picked those up. i guess i can go back to the guy i bought the tips from and see what he can do. i just couldn't believe that it was going to cost that much. I might as well buy a new hood if this guy tells me the same thing.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
I gots ta HF one too...solar like...never flashed me yet...much easier to use than a std helmet.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Doosty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i got a nice miller one for my bro for x mass... and hes been welding 14 hrs a day with it since and has had no problems.   you get what you pay for as i say...   the only thing i dont like about them is that i had arc flash befor and damaged one of my eyes pretty bad.. and there is like a 1/100th of a second befor it darkens or w/e and i can still feel the flash.. but i like using them allot. no problems yet
You Haven't Seen Cold Till You Lived Here

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
I've used a HF for several hours.  Seems to work for the limited time I've spent welding.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
if  you do burn your eyes  from flash  cut a potato  and squeeze the juice from it into your eyes  instant  gravel remover  it really work

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
if  you do burn your eyes  from flash  cut a potato  and squeeze the juice from it into your eyes  instant  gravel remover  it really work
you know i've actually heard this before about something similar, but i thought it was BS
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
Get a Hobart with adjustable sensitivity, delay, and darkness.  Now that I have one I can't stand using a regular helmet.  Most of them have around a shade 4 lense even if it is not tuned on so if it isn't working you will know right away but it shouldn't damage your eyes too badly if you quit right away.

X2!!!  Hobarts are the way to go, especially due to the many adjustable features.  These auto-darkening masks have a built in lithium-ion rechargeable battery, that recharges automatically with light.  Where do you find a light source that is closest to the sun?  Right in front of our faces!  Someone was thinking when they made this one.
***  SAS'ed '94 ext. cab - V6 auto - 4.88's - TrueTrac front & rear  ***

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
X2!!!  Hobarts are the way to go, especially due to the many adjustable features.  These auto-darkening masks have a built in lithium-ion rechargeable battery, that recharges automatically with light.  Where do you find a light source that is closest to the sun?  Right in front of our faces!  Someone was thinking when they made this one.
x3 this is the hood i have and it is awesome...i just need a replacement lense...stupid me, dropping it off the hood of the truck. I just found out it's going to cost me 224 for a new auto-dark lense for the Pro-VBX XVI Hobart Hood :( ouch :smack:
MY BUILD UP THREAD

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
:headscratch: You're supposed to wear a helmet when welding??? ???
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
:headscratch: You're supposed to wear a helmet when welding??? ???

DAMN YOU!  I was scrolling down here to say the same thing. you beat me to it.
oh well, damn funny man.

I use the HF helmet and couldn't weld w/o it  ;)
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.