Author Topic: hysteer question  (Read 3642 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
hysteer question
« on: Jun 16, 2006, 05:14:10 PM »
I just finshed my SAS on my 91 pickup last weekend and today i got around to swaping over my pitman arm and hysteer kit from Trail Gear. When i installed the tie rod the rod end looks VERY close to my tire, right now i'm running the stock 85 brakes/wheel hubs with 36" iroks on 15x8 3 3/4" B.S. wheels.

The wheels aren't totally straight so that could be why it's soo close but i'm not 100% sure and i'd say with my IFS wheel hubs i will have the spaceing i need but that wont come for another couple weeks due to cash.

Also does this look good for a pinion angle? I left the u-bolts loose and jacked up the pinion till it "poped" into possition...is this right? Not sure what the correct way of doing it is.

91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

sof'indetermined

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Re: hysteer question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2006, 05:44:05 PM »
i have pretty much the same setup, went out and looked at my mine. i guess ive never really looked at it before but mine is pretty close too, about 3/4 of an inch away im running 37-1150's but if i had any wider tire it would probably be like yours. i havent had any problems with it though. im sure with the new hubs it will be far enough away. might have to just wait.
83 yota that wheels
04 wrx wagon that hauls butt
assorted crap that mostly doesnt do anything

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2006, 05:46:21 PM »
 1) you need spacers.
2) Set your pinion angle so the pinion flange points straight at the t-case flange

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2006, 06:03:37 PM »
90toyotapu: I'm glad your as close as me....i thought i floped something up :smack:

KYOTA: What about the u-bolts? right now i'm using some crappy re-arched springs that are too short(44" i 2 i) so right now the flip plate sits on an angle as you can see from the pic. I could probally go a little higher with the pinion but i wasn't sure........ i might just wait until i get a set of rears for up front to set everything up.

This is how it turn out with the re-arched springs that came with my donor truck......came out too high so i'd say a set of rears will set it right  :crossed:

91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2006, 06:29:56 PM »
NEVER MIND!  ANOTHER BRAIN FART!!!! I was hthinking that was the rear axle DOH! imadumbass

ok let me try again. either get shims, cut and rotate the balls (too much work to do right) or get a hi pinion 3rd

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2006, 07:05:36 PM »
NEVER MIND!  ANOTHER BRAIN FART!!!! I was hthinking that was the rear axle DOH! imadumbass

ok let me try again. either get shims, cut and rotate the balls (too much work to do right) or get a hi pinion 3rd

LOL i kinda did a double take for the sec as i thought you were talking about the rear but the pic was of the front... i think it'll be fine as it is. Once i get a drive shaft made up time will tell.

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2006, 09:40:59 PM »
rotating the balls realy is not that hard. did mine in a day
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2006, 09:55:05 PM »
rotating the balls realy is not that hard. did mine in a day
I dunno, that sounds like it would hurt. My old roommate had to go to the hospital for that its called "torsion". It's when yer balls get switched up :ack:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2006, 04:09:02 AM »
I dunno, that sounds like it would hurt. My old roommate had to go to the hospital for that its called "torsion". It's when yer balls get switched up :ack:

:yikes:  TMI   :teeth:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2006, 08:15:29 AM »
:rofl:   

dude,  those ubolts and plates  are gonna get you killed
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2006, 12:12:58 PM »
79Coyotefrg: what do you mean? the plates are .5" and u bolts are 9/16......they are only on that angle because of the :pokinit: as springs i'm using and it wont see the road or trial until i get a set of rears as i'm not set up for 51's i have out back.

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2006, 11:45:32 PM »
I don't know exactly what you're talking about with left the u-bolts loose and jacked up the pinion.  Do you not have perches welded to your axle tubes?  It looks really weird in the pic like the spring is not sitting flat on the perch. 

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2006, 08:56:49 AM »
ya i got a set of rears swaped in a it fix the problem, the old spings were stiff as F**K and had a huge arch so they didn't sit flat on the perch but all is good now.

Bender

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »
2) Set your pinion angle so the pinion flange points straight at the t-case flange

I've heard this too, but, when I was talking to someone at a driveline shop they said the face of the pinion flange should be parallel to the face of the t-case flange.  At least on the rear - the front is a different beast.  Any thoughts? 

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2006, 02:04:50 PM »
I've heard this too, but, when I was talking to someone at a driveline shop they said the face of the pinion flange should be parallel to the face of the t-case flange.  At least on the rear - the front is a different beast.  Any thoughts? 

I'm pretty sure you mean the rear should be pointed at the t-case flange and front should be parallel....that's basicly where it is at now

Bender

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure you mean the rear should be pointed at the t-case flange and front should be parallel....that's basicly where it is at now

Nope.  This is an interesting article.  Looks like if you're going with a double cardigan you point it at the t-case.  If you're going with just u-joints you need to keep it parallel. 

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2006, 08:55:53 AM »
bender is right for sure.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!