Author Topic: Transmission jumps out of First gear  (Read 2518 times)

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Transmission jumps out of First gear
« on: Apr 13, 2006, 04:34:38 PM »
OK.  Just like it says.  (yes i tried searching to no avail!)  :yesnod:

It is an 84 pu with a G52 5 spd.  Every runs and shifts smoothly, no grinding noises or anything, but it will just jump out of first gear when I start moving from a stand still.  Not everytime yet, it has been intermittent but is starting to happen more often.   Is there something simple I can check like maybee the shifter mechanism, or do I need to plan for yet another new Tranny?

thanks for any help.   :thumbs:
I like to Drive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission jumps out of First gear
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2006, 04:50:32 PM »
Wermz, I've been driving my r150 with it like that for a LOOONG time.  I fixed the shifter bushing, but that only worked for a little while.  I don't know if it was a quality part or not :dunno: I may try to get one from marlin, but I really don't care that much.  MY tranny jumps out of 1st and 3rd, does it all the time, but other than that, no sounds or anything, so I just hold it in while I take off :yupyup:  also, don't leave it parked in 1st, it will fall out  (ask me how I know)  I've been told its my synchros, but there is no bad noises at all, and no excessive metal in the oil, so I'm just living with it right now.  Good thing is, I'm so tall my knee actually holds it in place, so I don't even notice it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2006, 04:50:52 PM »
:aaa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Wermz84 [OP]

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2006, 04:59:26 PM »
:aaa:
:think: Is that you jumping out of first??
I like to Drive!

Wermz84 [OP]

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2006, 05:05:55 PM »
Wermz, I've been driving my r150 with it like that for a LOOONG time.  I fixed the shifter bushing, but that only worked for a little while.  I don't know if it was a quality part or not :dunno: I may try to get one from marlin, but I really don't care that much.  MY tranny jumps out of 1st and 3rd, does it all the time, but other than that, no sounds or anything, so I just hold it in while I take off :yupyup:  also, don't leave it parked in 1st, it will fall out  (ask me how I know)  I've been told its my synchros, but there is no bad noises at all, and no excessive metal in the oil, so I'm just living with it right now.  Good thing is, I'm so tall my knee actually holds it in place, so I don't even notice it.

BD, thanks for the info.  That's good news that at least it's not on its way to blowing up. haha. 

I'll try holding it in gear right now, see if that helps.  I do want to try and fix it soon, it has already happened at inopportune time, like merging into traffic from a right hand turn at an intersection.  scared me a couple of times..  Plus the noise is loud, scared the crap out of this girl in my truck the other day. :yesnod:

I like to Drive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »
I'd give the shifter bushing a good look, it might be bad :dunno: I need to, I just haven't got around to it.  I'm so used to holding it in first and 3rd, I do it in every vehicle I drive.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »