Author Topic: Quick question, Birfield speed limit  (Read 3675 times)

toy4crawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
Quick question, Birfield speed limit
« on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:32:50 PM »
Is it nessesary to Re PACk my allready newly rebuilt / new grease birfields if you accidently drive in 4 wheel drive at 60mph ?

Does all the grease get flung out of the joint or what ?

My front end is 90% rebuilt or least it was
I was working late late last night on center console and accidently left my 4x t-case in 4 H,. this am I got on freeway and noticed a slight vibration and looked down to realize it was in 4H . Ahh Crapo 

thanks
4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question, Birfield speed limit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:40:29 PM »
I'm gonna say no, ever drivin with your hubs locked not in 4wheeldrive,everything is spinning then. so you probably don't. if you had made a sharp turn that would have been bad. wich maybe you did  :disturbed:

rattlecanpaint

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -35
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:33:11 PM »
Yea, I wouldn't think it would hurt them.  Sometimes you drive 50-60 on snowpacked roads in 4WD.  At least I've done it on the innerstate.
 Edit:  You probably don't see much snow where you're at but It really shouldn't hurt them.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:09:27 PM »
Is it nessesary to Re PACk my allready newly rebuilt / new grease birfields if you accidently drive in 4 wheel drive at 60mph ?

Does all the grease get flung out of the joint or what ?

My front end is 90% rebuilt or least it was
I was working late late last night on center console and accidently left my 4x t-case in 4 H,. this am I got on freeway and noticed a slight vibration and looked down to realize it was in 4H . Ahh Crapo

thanks

if they were packed with grease properly  your fine,  ive run at 70  for 20 miles with the hubs locked,    the FJ80's  have the same axle but dont have hubs so they run all the time
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2006, 03:35:49 PM »
Yea they are bropably ok,  just want to be sure and see/ hear some TECH on the birfields , I have never broken  one and certainly do not want to contribute any excessive wear on my new rebuilt ones.

I though I read in the manual or the little card in the visor not to drive over 40 mph in 4H  :dunno:  :-\\
4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2006, 03:39:40 PM »
well  most people wouldnt drive that fast  on dirt anyway  or snow,  i have run with the hubs locked on snow at 50-60 so if i slipped i could stab it in to 4h and get thru

not a big deal as long as the hubs werent locked and running on pavement with it in 4 hi  :yikes:  that would be bad
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:15:45 PM »
same here, out by the mountain pass, i lock the hubs if i see sighns of snow comin down to also shift on the fly in case i slip. never had any problems driving it with them spinning at highway speeds.

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2006, 10:47:28 AM »
Considering "birfields" (CVs) are standard on most passenger cars like hondas, camry's etc...I think you're fine.
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2006, 12:17:07 PM »
I though I read in the manual or the little card in the visor not to drive over 40 mph in 4H  :dunno:  :-\\

I would expect that to be related to the front drivetrain being balanced.  My 85 front driveshaft isn't balanced and everything starts to rumble about 40 mph.  My 04 Tundra is balanced and doesn't know the difference.   :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2006, 12:46:50 PM »
thats why i run a balanced shaft :thumbs:

AKDuramax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • hondas R like tampons... every pu$$y has one
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:12:52 PM »
my 83' has a little plate that says that the 4 wheel drive is ment to be shifted on the fly at speeds of 50 so no worrys
83' toyota sr5 long bed 31x10.5 bfg mt's -under construction-
86' suzzuki samuri 33x14.5 boggers, 1.6 tracker spap, 4.62's locked trackuri axles, 4.1 transfer, exct.
02' chevy 2500HD duramax 35x12.5 mt's fabtec 6", edge box,k&n intake, mbrp 4" duals, exct.  :)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »
you can do that just make sure your front and rear tires are aired to equal heights  so it dont bind

but then you aint gonna bind if your on snow :smack:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:40:45 AM »
my 83' has a little plate that says that the 4 wheel drive is ment to be shifted on the fly at speeds of 50 so no worrys

45 is the optimum shift point, and that's from 2wd high to 4wd high only of course. There should be a warning in your OM not to shift from High to Low while moving period, that could get real ugly.

As to the intended topic, I drive in 4wd at high speed all the time, never have had an issue in doing this,  4wd was not made with offroad in mind but driving in adverse conditions onroad too. Not that I've driven at 70, but 60 sure I've done that.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:48:51 AM »
Thinking more about it, if you keep your front diff full my front will spit some oil out the breather. So if you do it alot you may want to check the level more frequently.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:53:15 AM »
eh i wouldnt worry about it..  alot of trucks around here see speeds in excess of 60mph   in 4wd.. and  your birfs arent packed anymore lol..  anybody who actually uses their toyota axle in 4wd knows all about axle seals..  they are done as soon as that shaft turns.  so you already have gear oil in the knuckles and have oil soup :)   but eh... dont worry bout it none
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

AKDuramax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:47:05 PM »
you can do that just make sure your front and rear tires are aired to equal heights so it dont bind

but then you aint gonna bind if your on snow :smack:

yeah i never do shift at speeds of more that 25 anyway but i know that the plate says i can  :bowdown: the plate knows all haha

45 is the optimum shift point, and that's from 2wd high to 4wd high only of course. There should be a warning in your OM not to shift from High to Low while moving period, that could get real ugly.

As to the intended topic, I drive in 4wd at high speed all the time, never have had an issue in doing this,  4wd was not made with offroad in mind but driving in adverse conditions onroad too. Not that I've driven at 70, but 60 sure I've done that.
yeah im sure everyone knows 4L is for stopped. i mean that would be insanely stupid to try to go 45mph and shift to 4L
86' suzzuki samuri 33x14.5 boggers, 1.6 tracker spap, 4.62's locked trackuri axles, 4.1 transfer, exct.
02' chevy 2500HD duramax 35x12.5 mt's fabtec 6", edge box,k&n intake, mbrp 4" duals, exct.  :)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:36:46 AM »
eh i wouldnt worry about it.. alot of trucks around here see speeds in excess of 60mph in 4wd.. and your birfs arent packed anymore lol.. anybody who actually uses their toyota axle in 4wd knows all about axle seals.. they are done as soon as that shaft turns. so you already have gear oil in the knuckles and have oil soup :) but eh... dont worry bout it none
if you shim the knuckles right they last a long time

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »
yeah im sure everyone knows 4L is for stopped. i mean that would be insanely stupid to try to go 45mph and shift to 4L

Yeah right, you know as well as I do that there is some brainiack reading all this and will be shooting down some fireroad, hit a bumpy section and will try and drop into low at about 15-20 mph. because we said he could shift his tcase while moving.

Personally I never do shift from 2 High to 4 High at very much more than a crawl, and usually I don't use 4 High at all. If I need 4wd it's because the going has gotten tough.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2006, 08:47:10 AM by Rocksurfer »

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »

Yeah right, you know as well as I do that there is some brainiack reading all this and will be shooting down some fireroad, hit a bumpy section and will try and drop into low at about 15-20 mph. because we said he could shift his tcase while moving.

I have personally witnessed a guy taking a run at a hill in 4wd high to get maximum speed and then slammed it into 4wd low once he got slowed down and needed more gears.  I could hear the grinding 40 feet away.  :disturbed:

Gotrocks might know who I'm talking about.  The guy and his brother probably rolleddestroyed at least one toyota per year between them.  One time he rolled a perfectly nice truck in a field doing doughnuts with 5 psi in the tires.  I heard he did a full 1.5 rolls.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

AKDuramax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:01:54 AM »
I have personally witnessed a guy taking a run at a hill in 4wd high to get maximum speed and then slammed it into 4wd low once he got slowed down and needed more gears. I could hear the grinding 40 feet away. :disturbed:

Gotrocks might know who I'm talking about. The guy and his brother probably rolleddestroyed at least one toyota per year between them. One time he rolled a perfectly nice truck in a field doing doughnuts with 5 psi in the tires. I heard he did a full 1.5 rolls.

:clap2:  well there you have it there is officially an idiot for every situation

krawlz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:58:58 PM »
You know your a REDNECK when: 
You drive all the way home in 4H and your hubs locked.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper.....So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.

Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.

Bob Garrett

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Lone Star Land Cruisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:53:48 AM »
Here in the rust belt, back when virtually all 4wd vehicles were part-time with locking hubs, most folks would leave their hubs locked once the first snow started. The combination of slush, salt and cold made it difficult to lock or unlock hubs.

I have an FJ80 with 150k mi and the birfields have been turning the entire time with no issues. They do need to be repacked every 50-60k, tho..
Bob Garrett
95 FZJ80
83 Mini Truck

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2006, 08:50:46 PM »
I have driven 65+ in 4wd with limitied slip front end and hubs locked with no problem. As long as you have everything packed well with grease and have all within spec there should be no problem. I was in the habit of repacking and checking everything yearly or more so when in severe conditions.....
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...