Author Topic: DTB's ANGRY TREE HUGGER (Now pulling an angry pop up camper)  (Read 287744 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: DTB's ANGRY TREE HUGGER
« Reply #990 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:58:23 AM »
Im sure Ill get smacked for this but what advantage would there be to a marlin clutch?  What sets them apart?  Hopin for an answer other than supporin the site?
i asked Marlin this same question  and here is what he told me

at  idle aka  taking off, the centerforce  is basically  the same as a stock clutch,  it required rpm  to make those little weights  move out  and increase   "load"  on the pressure plate,  the Marlin clutch  uses  heavier springs, (actually dual springs like in the  valve train)  to  practically double the clamping force on the disc  to  increase  take off performance 

so if  i had a  22RTE in a  2wd sport truck i would run a centerforce,   but for a 4wd  with big tires  you want the Marlin,  the NON ceramic,  the ceramics GRAB  and thats not cool for a dd  or  a truck that might  tow something
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:08:48 AM »
my buddy got one and he said it blows for his truck... :dunno:
got one what
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #992 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »
I've never used a Centerforce clutch, but I almost did when I replaced mine about 3 years ago. I went with MC The Super Heavy Duty clutch kit with a 1600 ft-lb pressure plate instead cuz of the fact that it had the dual springs so it would give me more bite on takeoffs on the street and when rock crawling. Plus I believe it was cheaper, but I don't quite remember. It's still holding up. I will definitely buy another one when needed.

got one what
I'm guessing he's taking about a MC clutch.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2008, 11:40:12 AM by DeadlyPeace »
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:19:42 AM »
i think it was the marlin ceramic... i dont remember ill ask him and post back in here

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »
i think it was the marlin ceramic... i dont remember ill ask him and post back in here
if it  was the ceramic  and he was daily driving,  they i can definetly see why he didnt like it

ceramic  and daily driving  = :yikes:

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:47:30 PM »
I have the ceramic, and it's not bad at all. But if I had to drive in the city a lot I wouldn't gave gotten it.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:21:45 PM »

at  idle aka  taking off, the centerforce  is basically  the same as a stock clutch,  it required rpm  to make those little weights  move out  and increase   "load"  on the pressure plate,  the Marlin clutch  uses  heavier springs, (actually dual springs like in the  valve train)  to  practically double the clamping force on the disc  to  increase  take off performance 

so if  i had a  22RTE in a  2wd sport truck i would run a centerforce,   but for a 4wd  with big tires  you want the Marlin,  the NON ceramic,  the ceramics GRAB  and thats not cool for a dd  or  a truck that might  tow something

Sounds good to me.  Didnt know their was an issue with the ceramic ones? I always heard they were great! 
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #997 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »

at  idle aka  taking off, the centerforce  is basically  the same as a stock clutch,  it required rpm  to make those little weights  move out  and increase   "load"  on the pressure plate,  the Marlin clutch  uses  heavier springs, (actually dual springs like in the  valve train)  to  practically double the clamping force on the disc  to  increase  take off performance 

so if  i had a  22RTE in a  2wd sport truck i would run a centerforce,   but for a 4wd  with big tires  you want the Marlin,  the NON ceramic,  the ceramics GRAB  and thats not cool for a dd  or  a truck that might  tow something
that is 100% correct...a centerforce clutch only increases clamp load as RPMs increase.  At idle/where you take off, it is a stock spring providing clamp force, at least with a CF stage 1 clutch...I think the stage 2 has more weights and at the stage3 the increase spring(static) clamp load.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #998 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »
that is 100% correct...
Not 99.9%? :dunno: :gap: 246 toothpicks

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #999 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »
Not 99.9%? :dunno: :gap: 246 toothpicks
every now and then, DA RAINMAN needs a mental break, which I am currently taking :boozer:

:rofl2:

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »
I have a centerforce single friction in my rig and I really like it. It is easy to drive like a stock clutch. I don't see why anybody would need any more power. I have never noticed it slipping at all on me. Even dumping the clutch hard with both cases engaged in thick mud has never show any signs of slipping. I would be curious to drive a rig with a dual friction clutch to see what the real difference is. If the single is good, I'm sure the dual friction is better unless it sacrifices driveability.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »
I have a centerforce single friction in my rig and I really like it. It is easy to drive like a stock clutch. I don't see why anybody would need any more power. I have never noticed it slipping at all on me. Even dumping the clutch hard with both cases engaged in thick mud has never show any signs of slipping. I would be curious to drive a rig with a dual friction clutch to see what the real difference is. If the single is good, I'm sure the dual friction is better unless it sacrifices driveability.

I have a dual friction in my 85 4runner, and i put a single friction in my girlfriends 93. They are both nice IMO. Honestly it is hard for me to explain the difference without you actually driving them both at the same time. the only thing i can say is the dual friction i prefer for offroading over the single friction, THOUGH the single friction does a lot better than a stock clutch offroad. The DF just seems like it is meant for larger tires and the single seems more meant for stockers. The main thing i notice about both of them is that you can bring the idle down to 300-400 rpms without having to put the clutch in. I was never able to get that low with either of our clutches before i replaced them (both with about 2-3 years of driving on the stockers of unknown mileage, but mine wasnt going out, just upgrading). That could just be because both of the clutches were really old. i dont know. I think they are a great, albeit a little expensive clutch. I got mine through my buddy's shop rate so it wasnt as bad as i have seen some places charge though. Over all I would say they both engage very smoothly and predictably and neither one has ever slipped on us yet. I would not say the DF sacrifices any driveability. If I ever run into you on any trails around nor cal I will let you drive my truck around :)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »
and you wont,  try dumping the clutch on pavement in 2 hi

or better yet Cole,  try towing a  2000-4000 pound trailer  thru town,  then  we'll talk :yesnod:

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:50:05 AM »
If I ever run into you on any trails around nor cal I will let you drive my truck around :)
U might regret saying that to me!  :talkingn: :talkingn: :talkingn:

some good info and opinions here...thanks....

Toyminator helped me get the clutch in last night...went pretty smoothly...

All I can say is WOW....what a difference..there is actually a nice stiff pedal feel and the thing ENGAGES quick...I like it alot..havent taken it off road yet...just driven on the street about 100 miles.....

The true test will be next weekend at Was hita
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: Feb 06, 2008, 01:41:31 PM »
and you wont,  try dumping the clutch on pavement in 2 hi

or better yet Cole,  try towing a  2000-4000 pound trailer  thru town,  then  we'll talk :yesnod:

If I was towing a trailer it would be with my F-350  :greengrin:

I also have a heavier flywheel. I am not sure how that effects clutch performance but my rig is real easy to drive.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1006 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:56:19 AM »
:rofl:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »
:rofl:
:shake: dont u people have anything better to do than annoy me?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:12:22 AM »
:shake: dont u people have anything better to do than annoy me?
:nope:

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »
 :rofl2:
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

Doosty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:20:39 PM »
hey dtb hows it going? havent talked to you in forever!
You Haven't Seen Cold Till You Lived Here

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
Doosty! :wave:  how've you been man? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 1,029
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: Feb 10, 2008, 10:38:26 PM »
So, I was thinkin of going with the heavy duty ceramic..
But after reading some of this people are saying its not so good for DD...
Makes me think now...
Wheres the pics???
Baller Status: Coming Soon To A Toyota Near You!...   :afro:

My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game... -Me

90 ext. cab v6, SAS'd, 37's

94 4runner -work in progress

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38260.new#new
'94 4Runner
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53882.new#new

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:02:27 AM »
hey dtb hows it going? havent talked to you in forever!
Yo! Big D! :wave:

RIP KYOTA

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:43:45 AM »
:drool:
I like to Drive!

Doosty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »
i see ur gettin some work done to your truck..  i kinda regret selling mine
You Haven't Seen Cold Till You Lived Here

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1017 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:01:21 PM »
.............. no marlin
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

toyspider81

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 81 Toyota "The Spider"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: Feb 17, 2008, 09:41:18 AM »
no marlin ??????
RUN IT!!!

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: Feb 17, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »
no marlin  :gap:
RIP KYOTA