Author Topic: recommendations on lockers  (Read 5834 times)

trax28to

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Male Posts: 312
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
recommendations on lockers
« on: Jan 20, 2006, 03:03:20 PM »
85 4 runner time to spin both wheels......thinking about a trd electric...what year do I need to get this from...or does someone reccomend something different?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: recommendations on lockers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2006, 06:24:34 PM »
elocker is the best you can get

i have one from a 05 tacoma,   but i think they came in some 4runners as early as 97

if it has TRD on the rear fender you can bet it has one
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2006, 06:31:25 PM »
 :yesnod: TRD electric  :thumbs:

Or Aussie
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -97
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2006, 09:13:23 PM »
i agree.TRD or aussie

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2006, 12:05:51 PM »
would you recomend the trd electric for wet areas with deep water
 :dunno:  i'v head the have problems with water

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2006, 12:54:21 PM »
would you recomend the trd electric for wet areas with deep water
 :dunno:  i'v head the have problems with water

Convert it to the manual  engage and that issue goes away.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »
Convert it to the manual engage and that issue goes away.
Explain... is it like a cable or sumthing, your getting me excited.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2006, 01:53:48 PM »
Explain... is it like a cable or sumthing, your getting me excited.

Yes there is a conversion kit to convert it from electric to a cable similar to an Ox Locker.

bruiz05

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Make it or Break it!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2006, 06:48:53 PM »
If you seal the motor and run your vent lines up high you will never have a prob.  Once the locker is 100% engaged the indicator switch opens and shuts power off to the system so you will never have to worry about a short or it not working.  Toyota had already thought about this issue durring extensive testing. Plus for the cost of coverting to cable its way more than to stay with electric.  100' spool of 6-16 is $58.00 vs cable conversion at $150. Here is the diagram and all you need is a few things like a switch led and about 15' of 6-16 trailer wire, some conectors and zip ties.   
1984 toy, e-lockers f/r, 5.29 yukon gears, 30 spline longs, custom 5" suspension, 37-14.00x17 bias Iroks,17x9 spyder locks, marlin bumper and sliders, T-Max 10,000lb winch, mc07-r10 dual cases w/4.7's in the rear, flat bed, GOT PROPANE, six states .250 wall drive lines and custom 2 1/4" exaust

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:01:36 PM »
100 foot spool of cable ? what the hell are you smokin ? you dont need that much cable ..  ive heard and seen nothing but problems with having it still electric. id rather convert to cable and have peace of mind knowing that IT WILL engage and disengage.  for the price of having to do wiring. switches   and making sure the motors are good.. chances are you get a bad motor.  you can go have cables made at a boatshop for much cheaper and KNOW that it will work.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »
I don't have one but a friend does and he prefers the cable over the electric too. That is a terrific schematic of the way to hook the electric. Personally the less involved the better, I too would say cable since I know it will work and not blow a fuse or burn a wire etc, etc. My friend did have an issue when he first went to cable but we would just move it in and out by hand underneath, it turned out to just be an adjustment issue.

bruiz05

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Make it or Break it!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2006, 08:05:52 PM »
hey man no need to get all up tight about the way people build there sh*t, this board is to help, teach, and talk about what you have, not critisize.  I know my sh*t works top knotch and maybe the cable dose for you but its all about what you perfer.  I am just throwing out the idea!

And for Ironclad if you read the whole ariticle you would know what i am talking about, I know you dont need 100' of 6-16 its there just as a price compairison. In fact i belive i said that you only need 15'.

And for those of you that have HEARD of nothing but problem with the e-locker, If you have never had it or experienced it you have NO room to talk.
1984 toy, e-lockers f/r, 5.29 yukon gears, 30 spline longs, custom 5" suspension, 37-14.00x17 bias Iroks,17x9 spyder locks, marlin bumper and sliders, T-Max 10,000lb winch, mc07-r10 dual cases w/4.7's in the rear, flat bed, GOT PROPANE, six states .250 wall drive lines and custom 2 1/4" exaust

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2006, 09:32:39 PM »
I know a guy that has an OX locker in his rig and my dad told me that he won't use one again because the cable requires constant adjustments that are driving him nuts.  I suspect that he will go back to the ARB setup that he had in his last rig.

I don't have any idea if this would be similar to a cable E-locker or not.  :dunno:

I just put an Aussie in the front of my toy so I can't really say how I like it quite yet, but I love the Detroit in the rear.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -97
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2006, 11:32:27 PM »
never seen a problem with a elocker.must be in the setup.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2006, 11:58:42 PM »
hey man no need to get all up tight about the way people build there sh*t, this board is to help, teach, and talk about what you have, not critisize.  I know my sh*t works top knotch and maybe the cable dose for you but its all about what you perfer.  I am just throwing out the idea!

And for Ironclad if you read the whole ariticle you would know what i am talking about, I know you dont need 100' of 6-16 its there just as a price compairison. In fact i belive i said that you only need 15'.

And for those of you that have HEARD of nothing but problem with the e-locker, If you have never had it or experienced it you have NO room to talk.

You can have knowlege without experiencing something. Personally I have never owned an ARB locker but I know what problems they have through others. I have fixed several ARB's on the trail and know what fails on them without ever owning one and through that would never own or suggest that someone buy one. The same issues do come up with the electric portion of the e-locker and have had several people complain that water got inside the unit through the actuator of the system. I would imagine there is a way to seal it but the cable eliminates that issue all together. I have seen several e-lockers that have never made even a creek crossing have rust inside the unit. So if anyone ever asks me I say cable over electric. Until the e-locker and the Aussie showed up I was a Detroit only person even with the bad things that can happen when you snap and axle with one inside your diff. So when my buddy said he was getting and e-locker I told him to toss the "e" and convert it, and guess what the "e" part of his locker was junk.

bruiz05

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Make it or Break it!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2006, 12:06:22 AM »
like i said its all peoples own opinion, you have yours and i have mine.  But remember most of all the problems that happen are human errors, ie: installed incorrectly/assembled incorrectly.  But hey if the cable works for you or anyone else thats great as long as we all remember that we are all in the same sport "wheelin" and just out to have fun.  Thats what is so great about this sport everyone has something a little bit differant and what could work for one wont for another.  Its all trial and error. 

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:46:27 PM »

reread my post   i said heard AND  seen.   all of  my buds that have elockers have had absolutely nothing but problems with the motors   and now they have all converted to cable.  sure i havent experienced it myself.. but i also did away with toyota axles because i broke to much and i needed the width.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »
like i said its all peoples own opinion, you have yours and i have mine.  But remember most of all the problems that happen are human errors, ie: installed incorrectly/assembled incorrectly.  But hey if the cable works for you or anyone else thats great as long as we all remember that we are all in the same sport "wheelin" and just out to have fun.  Thats what is so great about this sport everyone has something a little bit differant and what could work for one wont for another.  Its all trial and error. 

Might I refer you to the little tag line under your avatar??     Keep it simple.......... j/k  I live by that motto :greengrin:

How manys wires, switches, relays, fuses, etc, etc.  Compared to 1 small lever, 1 cable and 1 rod.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2006, 07:56:17 PM by Rocksurfer »

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:31:37 PM »

Might I refer you to the little tag line under your avatar??     Keep it simple.......... j/k  I live by that motto :greengrin:

How manys wires, switches, relays, fuses, etc, etc.  Compared to 1 small lever, 1 cable and 1 rod.

Sounds like you should run spools front and rear? :pokinit:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:54:13 PM »
Sounds like you should run spools front and rear? :pokinit:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

......OK, and functional. I run limited-slips f/r and know how to make them work properly but I have considered putting a Aussie, Spool or Lincoln locker in the rear. Personally I wouldn't put an ARB or e-locker in my truck but I know what people like and most of the guys are swearing by the Aussie and e-locker with the conversion and cursing the electrics due to seepage into the housing. If I were to go with a selectable it would be the e-locker and would never ever ever go ARB.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:01:40 PM »
ya know I bought a e-locker for my rig and so far I really like it.  But you know something funny.  I haven't even hooked/setup the switch yet or done a cable conversion.  I just built a plate to cover the hole and put a plug in the hole.  I know it sounds stupid but hey right now it works for me and I'm not driving my rig at this moment.  Once I get it driving I'm going to put a switch in and see how it work for now and then if I need to, I'll convert over to a cable actuator later.  But for the time being I really love mine because whenever I'm going to wheel I pull up to the trail, crawl under my rig unbolt the cover and slide the fork over to lock it.  Then I never even give it a second thought about it coming unlocked while I wheel.  Thats why I love my locker because unlike the ARB's once locked always locked. 

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:09:24 PM »
I have seen way too many issues with the ARB's, sure you can't get any more positively locked, when it works. Those relief valves suck bananas, for a product that is designed for offroad they sure are sensitive to dirt and dust.

superfly

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Jan '06
  • 4wheeling is not a crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:45:07 PM »
ive had arb before, i bought one of mine used so i had all of the seals replaced then intsead of useing a compressor i went to the local EVCO air store and got a bunch of supplies and conveted my paintball gun into my air source i used a paintball co2 tank, a pressure regulator, one valve to turn to put pressure into the arb and one to release pressure when i wanted it turned off, this worked very well and i recomend it to anyone running arbs, my buddies jeep had the compressor and he seemed to have more problems with it every time we went wheeling, co2 is the way to go.
ill post pics of my mechinism, if any one would like to see it. only problem is ive heard the co2 will make your seals wear out prematurly, although i never had a problem with it.

on the e-locker, my experiance is that a buddie got a 4runner with the cable conversion already done, he hasnt ever had the cable working right since he got it and we dont know what it is(hes only had it for a few weeks)
Robby Flandro
Mountain Yoats Vice President
www.mountainyoats.com
join Mountain Yoats, go 4 wheeling

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:51:22 PM »
ive had arb before, i bought one of mine used so i had all of the seals replaced then intsead of useing a compressor i went to the local EVCO air store and got a bunch of supplies and conveted my paintball gun into my air source i used a paintball co2 tank, a pressure regulator, one valve to turn to put pressure into the arb and one to release pressure when i wanted it turned off, this worked very well and i recomend it to anyone running arbs, my buddies jeep had the compressor and he seemed to have more problems with it every time we went wheeling, co2 is the way to go.
ill post pics of my mechinism, if any one would like to see it. only problem is ive heard the co2 will make your seals wear out prematurly, although i never had a problem with it.

on the e-locker, my experiance is that a buddie got a 4runner with the cable conversion already done, he hasnt ever had the cable working right since he got it and we dont know what it is(hes only had it for a few weeks)

My buddy had a few issues in the beginning too, turns out it was the adjustment, he would make too big of an adjustment. Make very small adjustments to the cable.

PAPACASEY

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »
I've got an Aussie locker and love it. I installed it in one day and have never had a problem. The're inexpensive and bullet proof.