Author Topic: DC Fab Tacoma. gotrocks TACO LIBRE *Lots of updates 2-18-08*  (Read 30434 times)

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Last Thursday night we went up wheeling in the snow/mud and were having a great time when my buddy got stuck in his tacoma. We were in my wifes 99 tacoma thats lifted with a easy locker up front on 35's, and had to pull him out. I ended up breaking a CV shaft inside the diff. Instead of tearing it down I said screw the IFS we're going to SAC this rig. So on friday in about an 1:30 I torched the crap off the front and started to grind.

I had the 87 4Runner that I SAS'd a while ago thats about to go under the knife again with 60's and a different engine but it has 2 built toy axles under it. I have a 85 housing with less than a 100 miles on a complete rebuild. It also has brand new MarlinCrawler 4inch leaf springs and ubolt flip kit.

It has
30 splines
v6 ARB 5.29 Yukons
Marlin steering studs
FJ Rotors and IFS calipers
Dust shields eliminated
Knuckle gussets
Marlin High steer (billet)
and OEM bearings/seals

I think its a great axle and I know other guys have done this as well so I decided to put it under the front of the truck. Here's my delema though. I obviously have the wrong side diff and I don't want to have to buy a diamond right now. I will eventually but I would rather not do it right now. I have 2 gear drive cases sitting around and I would like to just use them. I called Marlincrawler today and they are back ordered 2 months on the adapter to the gear drive case. I haven't called inchworm yet and the only thing I can see on their site is a crawler box and the adapter. I don't want anything but an adapter and a dual case adapter.

Those of you that have a pass side drop how well is it working for you with the exhaust there and is anyone running a stock width (and 1.5 wheel spacers) Toyota front end? I will eventually link this rig but not until I have another DD for my wife.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2008, 11:40:37 PM by gotrocks »

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
Re: DC Fab Tacoma. (aka mrs. gotrocks Tacoma)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2007, 10:13:37 PM »
ya the adapter isnt on inchworms site but its $400 and clockable.  If I were you for ease of install i'd put a waggy d44 in the front so you can just keep your push button 4wd and not have to worry about spacers and a narrow front end, custom crossmembers, driveshafts, exhaust, cel's, blah blah.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »
I already have the stock front end tacked in place and its sitting on its own tires.  I like the shift on the fly 4wd but I don't like the strength.  I called Marlin today and they confirmed what I thought about the stock Taco case being weaker. 

Btw what custom crossmembers are you talking about.  I just put a allpro sas front spring crossmember in that I had sitting around and it works fine.  You'd have to do the same for a waggy front end.  Besides I would have to completely build a wagoner front end and could easily dump $3000 into a D44 when i already have a built toyota axle.  I also want 5.29's and I'm not going to put 5.38's in the front with my 5.29's in the back.  Besides who wants to put dana axles under when you can run OEM and try to keep it all toyota.  I know that sound dumb to some people but this truck I would like to build with toyota parts.  My 4Runner will get a chevy drivetrain soon enough.

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »
Sounds like a awesome build gotrocks :beer: Don't know to much bout the adapter's your talkin bout but I think they be strong enough. don't know bout everyone else but I prefer havin a top shift 4 wheel drive compared to a push button :crossed:

PS; can't wait to see  :snapshot:
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:45:30 PM »
the tacoma isn't a push button its just shift on the fly.  I like that a lot about the stock case but  I think I am going to go with a dual gear case setup.  A lot stronger and gearing options.  I will probably just do stock 2.28's for right now and put 4.70 in later.  The new t100 oil pan should be here tomorrow or friday so I should have it driveable by this weekend. 

I also just got a Rotary 2 post car lift in my shop today and it should make working on this a lot easier and faster.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2007, 09:55:32 PM »
here's a few teaser shots for you guys.  I already have it sitting on tires but just to make you guys drool a little more I'm setting it up to fit the 42's for the winter and my 39" Krawlers for the rocks.  I'm also planning on a internal rollcage, bob bed and custom sliders and bumpers all from DC Fab (thats my new company that I started hence the name of the build).

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4173
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007, 09:57:50 PM »
here's a few teaser shots for you guys.  I already have it sitting on tires but just to make you guys drool a little more I'm setting it up to fit the 42's for the winter and my 39" Krawlers for the rocks.  I'm also planning on a internal rollcage, bob bed and custom sliders and bumpers all from DC Fab (thats my new company that I started hence the name of the build).

Good Luck with the new business!!!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:00:54 PM »
here's a couple more

I had this crossmember sitting around and decided to put it to good use.  It saved me some time in fabing up a new one.  I will have plenty of things to fabricate later on this rig. 

here of course is the rear shackle mounts.  I wanted to do something different but I don't have time right now.  I am suppose to get my buggy together for moab in 3 weeks and right now its torn down as a bare frame so I gotta get cracking on putting that back together.

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:03:20 PM »
 :biggthumpup:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »
awesome work Christopher, can't wait to see this thing finished!

So how long until your wife takes over the buggy and leaves you with this?

Of course.. I wouldn't complain driving either!  

Keep up the good work bro, nice to see your still around!   ;)

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:46:43 PM »
Here's some pictures of tube work that I've done recently.  It came out really nice.  Its on a 65 Jeepster for a friend of mine.  Its linked f/r with 18" fox airshox and 2.5's up front and 2.0's in back.  A buddy of mine did the suspension and I've done the tube work and aluminum tig welding.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:48:43 PM »
Thats my 42 on the back.  We were test fitting it to make sure it was going to work with the fender tube I bent up. 

The Tacoma won't be anything this extreme right now but maybe someday who knows.  If you guys want to see more of the Jeepster I'll make another thread because I don't want to clutter up this one.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:55:57 PM »
Here are a few more SAS pictures

Here's the poor 4Runner.  Its so stripped now its ridiculous.  But I should be building it better then ever within a year or so.  It will get full links.  On 1 tons with either the v6 4.3 from my buggy or a SBC with MPFI.  I love my first gen and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.  When we have kids I want to have something that we can take the whole family in and have either the air or heat on and be able to wheel the crap out of it.

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4173
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:58:38 PM »
So where is the new shop at in WA.???

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:00:14 PM »
In Walla Walla WA

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:03:40 PM »
There isn't much wheeling around her accept for snow wheeling (fun but not rocks IMO).  My wifes family lives in Colorado near Denver and her grandparents live in Cortez CO.  We're going down there for Thanksgiving and doing some wheeling in Moab before we go the last 1:30 to their house.  I try to get at least 1 wheeling trip in around Colorado a year theres nothing like slickrock 4wheeling. 

Poowoo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 144
  • Member since May '05
  • What is the jeep thing?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »
Dude that will be sweet when you get that runnin... I didnt know you were going to Solid Axle it... Very nice :)

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »
Yeah I had no choice.  Well I did but it would've taken me longer to get the front ifs diff fix instead of doing the SAS.

Whats the status on your rear diff?  Have you pulled it apart yet.  Kinda sucks to ride the bike in the rain and cold right now.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:07:52 PM »
 :eye: :eye:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:20:38 PM »
OH EXCITING!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2007, 10:42:56 AM »
I hope to get this thing running before the new year.  I cut it all apart then didn't have the money to get the parts I needed.  But now I have the parts and heres whats going in it.

-MC07 23 spline
-4.7 23 spline TS gears
-Inchworm (because marlin was backordered) Taco tranny to gear drive cases adpt.
-Blue extended brake lines.
-Triple Drilled Flanges
-Marlin 4in front and rear USA springs
-Marlin Shock hoops
-Bilstein 14" front shocks
-Dye Custom Rock sliders
-Dye Custom Bumpers F/R
-Front ARB v6 3rd, with 30 Spline Longs, 85 housing, Knuckle Gussets Diff armor, FJ rotors, IFS Calipers,  Dust shield eliminators, Rock Rings, Marlin Billet High Steer, 3 inch Wheel spacers
-Rear Open Tacoma for now with 5.29's

Soon to have
-Bobbed bed
-Bucket seats
-Bed cage and probably a interior cage from DC Fab
-Diamond housings f/r
-Rear ARB locker
-Rock lights
-Spare tire carrier

Hopefully someday I can link this as well.  But for now it will be as streetable as possible.  My wife needs to be able to drive it until we can afford to buy her a car.  She loves the truck but would like to drive a car again and I won't mind taking it over as my DD.  My goal for the truck is to keep it street driveable no matter what goes on it.  I don't want to trailer this truck we want to be able to drive this truck to Colorado and back and wheel it when we get there.  My wife's parents live out there and I would love to just drive instead of tow sometimes.  I've always loved the Tacoma's and hope I can keep this around as long as possible.  Keep checking back because there should be some updates throughout the next 2 weeks. 

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2007, 02:59:17 PM »
:popcorn:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »
Nice, i bet the wife is excited about her taco  :yesnod:

Looks like a sick build. I am going to be watching this one. Also good luck with the new business. Are you specializing in 4x4s/offroading only or going for a broad range of fabrication?
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:30:48 PM »
Nice, i bet the wife is excited about her taco  :yesnod:

Looks like a sick build. I am going to be watching this one. Also good luck with the new business. Are you specializing in 4x4s/offroading only or going for a broad range of fabrication?

Thanks.  I'm excited for this build too.  I will be trying out a few new things I've been wanting to build and hopefully can build for other people.  I plan on doing more 4x4 but I will do fab for other projects.  There are a ton of toyota guys in my town and hopefully they can keep me busy.  I am doing the business as a part time thing right now and I'll see where it goes.  I know a lot of drag guys in my town that would love to have a cage built for their vehicle also so I probably will do a few of those and do some custom car stuff.  My passion is 4x4's and so I will push that side of the fab more. 

HumboldtMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »
i;ll b watchin too . my good friend put 60's under the same year 2wd taco
when in doubt..gas it out!

HumboldtMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:45:23 PM »
by the way. i grew up in longview wa. i wish you the besy of luck w/ your new buisness this year.. :beerchug:
when in doubt..gas it out!

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2007, 06:06:04 PM »
I know a lot of drag guys in my town... 

Feel free to rephrase.   :smack:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2007, 11:07:25 PM »
Feel free to rephrase.   :smack:

dragsters :thumbs:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:50:40 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.  We don't need rumors to start.  :shake:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.  We don't need rumors to start.  :shake:

no problem
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8