Author Topic: Gun recommendations  (Read 10218 times)

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Re: Gun recommendations
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:36:30 PM »
Wow, with a topic like this I can't belive nobody has recommended Springfields 1911

The tightest hand gun I ever fired was Springfield Armorys MIL. SPEC. .45, absolutly no play in the slide and great saftey features...you can actually carry this side arm (holstered) with a round chambered and off safe with out ever having to worry about it going off. Works great for a back up hog hunting. Has all the knockdown power you need.

Well, whatever you do, I just would recommend NOT getting a 9mm... those are more likley to kill a crack head by feeding it to him than shooting him.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:38:44 PM »
Well, whatever you do, I just would recommend NOT getting a 9mm... those are more likley to kill a crack head by feeding it to him than shooting him.

9mm and .38 = bounce off windshield, piss off whatever you're shooting at.  I like the idea of the 1911, but most of them are a little big.  The upside to them is a nearly unlimited aftermarket and tons of manufacturers.  Competition shooting has really helped the progression of the 1911 a lot.  Not to say the early ones weren't good, but you can get a really sweet one now. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:40:24 PM »
I think the best "all around" hand gun cal. to have is .357 mag.

you can shot a low load .38, and then step up to a load that can reach out and touch some one.
That is a good suggestion bf. My favorite piece in my wheel gun collection is my 6" S&W 686. He  has a valid point BD.
Wow, with a topic like this I can't belive nobody has recommended Springfields 1911

The tightest hand gun I ever fired was Springfield Armorys MIL. SPEC. .45, absolutly no play in the slide and great saftey features...you can actually carry this side arm (holstered) with a round chambered and off safe with out ever having to worry about it going off. Works great for a back up hog hunting. Has all the knockdown power you need.

My 1911A1 is an excellent piece. Probably a little looser than yours toynorcal, a little looser the better for field use  :crossed: It will shoot any .45 ACP you put in it. I use my 686 as a back up for hog  ;)
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:20:32 PM »
That is a good suggestion bf. My favorite piece in my wheel gun collection is my 6" S&W 686. He  has a valid point BD.
I like this point.  This is actually what I was leaning toward, and more so now. 

Thanks all :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:47:20 PM »
My first question would have to be  how many handguns have you fired up to this point ?
if none 22 cal revolvers are fairly cheap and easy to handle. then ask friend and those around you that own handguns to let you fire what they have . some gun ranges even have rentals tryout several to find one you feel comfortable with.

if several think back to what felt good or natural even better because if you have to fight to handle a hand gun it isn't the right one for you
bottom line if possible don't buy a gun without firing it first trust me  fire before ya buy ER

my first handgun was A S&W model 24 44Spl with a 2" barrel . it took me months to get any accuracy at all with that gun because it kicked big time and has a hair trigger. it was the backup gun for a highway patrolman who carried it in the 8" barrel version as his side arm and just loved the gun so he put the 2" barrel on it when they made him go to an auto  needless to say it was a bad first handgun but it's a get gun now after  15 or 16 years of shooting it

just my  :twocents:
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2005, 01:24:13 PM »
Get a CZ-52 in 7.62X25.  Accurate as hell, cheap, reliable, easy to maintain.  Only pregnant dog is that ammo can be hard to get @ small shops.

Here's mine:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »
My first question would have to be  how many handguns have you fired up to this point ?
if none 22 cal revolvers are fairly cheap and easy to handle. then ask friend and those around you that own handguns to let you fire what they have . some gun ranges even have rentals tryout several to find one you feel comfortable with.

if several think back to what felt good or natural even better because if you have to fight to handle a hand gun it isn't the right one for you
bottom line if possible don't buy a gun without firing it first trust me  fire before ya buy ER

my first handgun was A S&W model 24 44Spl with a 2" barrel . it took me months to get any accuracy at all with that gun because it kicked big time and has a hair trigger. it was the backup gun for a highway patrolman who carried it in the 8" barrel version as his side arm and just loved the gun so he put the 2" barrel on it when they made him go to an auto  needless to say it was a bad first handgun but it's a get gun now after  15 or 16 years of shooting it

just my  :twocents:

I've fired several different caliburs, don't really remember the specific guns.

.22, .357, .38, .44

I;m thinkin a trip o the shooting range is in order, place in my folks hometown has gun rentals of all sizes, guess I'll have to go back there.  Oh darn :hahaha:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:51:22 AM »
I have a Colt Defender .45 It is made just like the 1911 but it is on a .380 frame  :thumbs:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2005, 03:01:27 PM »
My colt defender is older, I love mine.  Perfect size to pack.  What grips you got on yours FATBOY?  Pachmyr?  Mine still has the stk wood side panels. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #39 on: Dec 03, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
My colt defender is older, I love mine.  Perfect size to pack.  What grips you got on yours FATBOY?  Pachmyr?  Mine still has the stk wood side panels. 
I have the Houge grips that came on it :thumbs:       

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2005, 07:31:55 PM »
Ok heres the beast I spoke of
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2005, 11:13:18 PM »
h&k usp 45acp. glocks are poop no safety and no hammer
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:35:18 AM »
The 7.62X25 Tokarev will also penetrate level 2 body armor if within 15 yards.  That can either be a bad thing or a good thing. 

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 423
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2005, 12:49:49 PM »
when i bought my first gun i went to the range and tried 8-10 different guns.  I liked the  sigs and h&k. I have a 9mm glock, sig p229 in .40, a sig-pro in .40, and a Hammerli (distribute by sig) trail side .22.  i love all the sigs.  i carry the p229 with knight sights on the trail.  it is fun to shoot and very reliable/acurrate.

here's sigs page.  www.sigarms.com

I also like H&K's however have not been able to justify the cost. 

I you like berretta's, I've shot a tarus (i think) copy that had a better safety.  it was very smooth and accurate.  I shot better with it my first clip then i did with my glock which i have had for years.

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:55:56 PM »
Uh-oh...you mentioned guns...LOL

I like everything i own to be as versatile as possible. So i started out with Laama .45's (JUNK), went to 1 Glock 17 9mm (awesome), bought a couple (4) HK-USP .45 autos (awesome but really nice finish, always worried about scratches), traded those for (5) Glock 17 9mm's.

My advice is if you wanna plink, get a Glock 17 or a more concealable 19 9mm, good for plinking and ok for defense.

My current favorite is a Glock 21 .45 with 185gr JHP.

Glocks feed hollowpoints flawlessly, are pretty accurate if you don't limp-wrist it (tends to grab it's own ejected case and stovepipe if you limp-wrist it, due to almost no weight in the frame). I never worried about scratches with my Glocks, they'll fire after being swished around in a bucket of soupy, gritty mud, after being thrown against a wall, frozen, never cleaned, basically the most reliable gun i've ever owned.

And plinking is fun and all, but a handgun in my hand would be used in a defensive role, and for that i want a lightweight gun that will always fire when i need it to, no saftey just means i don't have to fumble around trying to release it in a desparate situation (If you don't want the gun to go off, don't pull the trigger).

In fact, my trigger finger is never on the trigger until just before i fire, it should lay on the side of the reciever/ frame of the gun, pointing torwards your target, for safety.

If you test-fire a Glock and it jumps too much for your liking, you can purchase one with a ported barrel, i hear that reduces muzzle climb very well. I would'nt buy a ported one though, i can fire mine fine without, and porting would negate the effectiveness of the suppres....um, i mean to say, um....barrel extension...lol...cough, cough, tinkle.

If you live in a state that still considers you to be a Free American with Rights and not a Subject with Privledges, you could (hypothetically) install a selector switch in the back of the slide on any Glock to make it select-fire (semi-automatic or full-auto), although in my opinion full-auto would only be used in an extreme emergency when you were being overrun, or for showing off to close friends..."Hey, y'all, watch this!"

For a rifle here's my current favorite. GunBroker.com Item 41141035
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=41141035

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2005, 12:16:42 AM by oddmar »
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2005, 01:23:29 AM »
I have a Sig P228 (9mm) that I absolutely love.  I carried it as my duty weapon for 3.5 years till I left the department I was at, went to another department, carried the Sig P229 (40 cal.) and have shot a P220 (45 cal.) MANY, many times. 

I have one thing to say about Sig.  NICE!!!   They are, IMO, the best handgun on the market for reliability, accuracy, quality and toughness.  If an all metal gun is what your looking for, I would only consider a Sig of any size.

Awwwhhhh, yeah, Glock..........Combat Tupperware, Drastic Plastic.  Would I ever own one?  Hell yeah, they are damn nice guns and I finally got over the part plastic part metal gun thing and decided to shoot one.  Straight outta the box, no practice with it, it is one of the best shooting guns on the market.

Beretta??  I have a Model 96D.  Do I like it?  Hell no but it is my work weapon and I would never own one outta my own paycheck.  I have carried it now for 5 years and still dont like it.  I can take my SIG outta the closet and out shoot this gun anyday, anytime and I havent shot my Sig in at least 3 years.

Smith and Malfunction??  Name says it all.  Every time I have been to the range or at a qualifying course with a Smith & Malfunction owner, it has done just that................Constantly breaking down and they are HEAVY as hell.

I personally would not own a Taurus or Ruger either in a Semi-Auto set up, their revolvers on the other hand may be fine.

Colt......Awsome weapon and I would LOVE to own a Colt Commander or 1911. 

H&K.......Nice gun but cant shoot em worth a crap for me, I have small hands and that really sucks cause I am a big guy and I love a big caliber weapon.  I would definately own one if I could shoot it worth a crap.

This is just my input and I know it isnt worth much.
85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

grandeyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 395
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Apr '05
  • The Gonkulator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:35:30 AM »
I'm a big fan of ruger revolvers. I've got a .357 mag security six and a .44 mag super blackhawk. Easy to clean, VERY durable. Whatever you get, don't think that that is how the gun has to be. You can usually play with different trigger springs and other things like that and find what's best for you. The type of round you shoot makes a huge difference also.

Can't beat a .22 for plinking though. Got a S&W .22 and if I don't use the mini mags, it jams up alot. I thought it was just the spring was tight from it being new, but a few hundered rounds later it still smokestacks the el cheapo rounds.
The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2005, 12:04:30 PM »
The only .22 rifle to ever get is the Ruger 10/22.  So much fun!  Try sage rat hunting with a 10/22 Target model, in three days I used up six 525 round remington boxes!  Alot of dead rats, or was that beers!  The jury is still out on that one and the only evidence, was my avatar! :smack:

This is my absolute favorite rifle of all time, mine has a 3/9x40 scope on it! :cool:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #48 on: Dec 08, 2005, 01:21:55 PM »
The only .22 rifle to ever get is the Ruger 10/22.  So much fun!  Try sage rat hunting with a 10/22 Target model, in three days I used up six 525 round remington boxes!  Alot of dead rats, or was that beers!  The jury is still out on that one and the only evidence, was my avatar! :smack:

This is my absolute favorite rifle of all time, mine has a 3/9x40 scope on it! :cool:

I have one of those too! it's the best. butt I think he was more looking for hand gun ideas.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: