Author Topic: Gun recommendations  (Read 10229 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Gun recommendations
« on: Nov 27, 2005, 10:49:04 PM »
Well, seeing as I'm gonna be turning 21 pretty soon, 'm thinking I might buy myself a little birthday present.  I'm looking to buy my first handgun.

Was curious to see what all you would suggest, avoid, own, what you like about what you have, etc.

Aslo, price range is essentially as cheap as possible, but I don't wanna sacrifice quality, so lets hear what ya'll have to say :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Gun recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2005, 11:22:56 PM »
I love my Sig Sauer p220.  It's a semi auto 45mm that I picked up with night sights and a couple clips for $450.00.  They had a bunch of these on sale and I was told that they were all factory re-conditioned and were former Louisiana State Trooper sidearms.  A brand spanking new one will set you back about $800.00 and mine looks and operates like new so I figured for the amount I would use it, it was a good trade off.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2005, 11:29:44 PM »
oh, yeah.  If you're thinking about a larger bore weapon, stay away from glocks.  With the amount of kick they have and how light they are, it's hard to hit the side of a barn with one.  I have a freind that collects 45's and I went to the range to shoot all 12 of his and shot his Sig Sauer the most accurate - that's why I got one.  My suggestion is to find the calliber you want and then go to a shooting range that will let you try their guns and see which one you are most accurate with.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

flourman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 333
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Got Body Damage??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2005, 05:23:50 AM »
Aslo, price range is essentially as cheap as possible, but I don't wanna sacrifice quality, so lets hear what ya'll have to say :thumbs:

If you want a cheap handgun/shooter, I'd say go for a Ruger .22cal pistol.  It's not a big pistol, but very fun!!  You can shoot all day for about $20 in ammo.
Doin' it FULLSIZE style!

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2005, 05:45:12 AM »
I like my S&W 4006 .40 cal.  Very reliable and accurate.  I prefer the .40 over the less powerful 9mm and the larger .45 with it's heavy wallop.  It gives you the best of both worlds.  Heavy and fast bullet.   :twocents:   PS-I also own a 9mm and a .45 so I am speaking from personal experience.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2005, 07:20:29 AM »
my buddy has a 9mm,  i think its a smith,  it is a really good and accurate,  my ex had a rossi 357  ,  couldnt hit jack with that peice of crap,  357 ammo had so much blowby  you would have burns on your knuckles,  it wasnt bad with 38 cal ammo,  but :thud:  anything over 25 feet away you might as well throw a rock
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2005, 07:55:12 AM »
Avoid glock like the plague, they're well balanced when the clip is full but it goes downhill quickly.  Post up what calibers you are considering and we can help more.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

uzaho

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:07:47 AM »
Alot of it depends on your size and strength too. If your a smaller guy you probably wont wanna go with a .45 and a .40 still might be a little powerful to start with but you can learn quickly.  A 9mm is a good starter if ya just wanna shoot. 

Im 6'2'', 225lbs and I think a .45 is a little strong.  I prefer the .40 cuz it doesnt kick like a .45 but has enough power to stop a good sized person with 1 shot unlike a 9mm.

I have fired a S&W .40 and I loved it when it comes time for me to buy my own and not just shoot friends thats what Id probably buy.  I also really like the sig sauer P226, which I shot in 9mm and .40 and preferred the .40, but as mentioned before sig is mucho expensive.

Glocks are cool if you wanna swim with em but theyre so light they can give you trouble and besides that they just dont have that quality feel that comes with the weight.

A .22 is cheap but I dont think theyre that much fun.  Hey, my wife (5'6", 106lbs) really enjoys .22s  :stopit:

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:19:46 AM »
+1 for a SIG (aka, the Toyota of handguns) They are very high quality and not overpriced.  I have p220 in .45 and it is awesomely smooth, tough, accurate, and reliable.  The p226 is the same thing in 9mm or 40 and carries a whole lot more. 
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com
1976 FJ55 SOA, 36"s, Hysteer, Power Steering, Aussielocked rear, Rhino Lined exterior, some other sweet stuff.
1997 FZJ80 3x Locked, OME, 33's, Nat Luna Dual Yellow Tops, Warn E 12.0, other junk

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:36:07 AM »
I love my Colt mkIV officers ACP stainless .45 cal!  Perfect size, doesn't kick too bad, just a mild pop up, easily manageable!  My second favorite is my Ruger MKII 6" bull barrel .22 cal!  A blast to shoot all day long!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2005, 03:26:45 PM »
   I had a ruger P89 9mm. It's a good gun for home protection and inexpensive I think I paid somewhere around 325.00 for mine with a locking case and two clips. For target shooting or anything at a long distance don't go with anything under a 45. My uncle had a ruger 45, far better gun than the 9mm for target shooting. :thumbs: 
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2005, 03:53:56 PM »
Well I do like my S&W 629.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2005, 04:15:52 PM »
I'd say go with a desert eagle, don't get a taurus I shot a .45 one yesterday and it jammed almost every other shot.  I really like glocks myself though

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2005, 04:28:07 PM »
I like the .357 sig.  But bang for your buck (pun intended) A .22 is a blast :yupyup:
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2005, 04:33:46 PM »
I owned a Taurus .380, never really had a problem w/jamming......good price weapon tho.  .380 was nice weight and not too much kick.  For the price it was a great all around weapon....i think it was around 300 bucks   happy shooting!   :biggthumpup:   http://dealerease.net/catalog/product.asp?pid=56595&ret_id=139995
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2005, 05:47:23 PM »
Don't go Desert Eagle.  Very expensive and a notoriously shotty reliability. 
The ruger .22 pistols, both the semi-autos and the single six revolvers are WELL worth their low price.

Hey notajeep, what are you shootin your 357 sig out of?  I been thinkin about getting a p229 for so I can shoot .40 and 357 sig.  Easier to CCW than a thingy-eyed p220.
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com
1976 FJ55 SOA, 36"s, Hysteer, Power Steering, Aussielocked rear, Rhino Lined exterior, some other sweet stuff.
1997 FZJ80 3x Locked, OME, 33's, Nat Luna Dual Yellow Tops, Warn E 12.0, other junk

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2005, 06:54:12 PM »
I'm lookin in the .38, .40, or .45 calibur.  I'm 6'6" 250, so I'm not to worried about not being able to hold onto the gun.  Last handgun I fired was a glock 9mm, and that thing was a piece of crap IMO.  I personally felt the gun was too light, even with a full clip.  Also, that thing was all over the place as the clip emptied

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

toada

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -167
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2005, 07:48:25 PM »
glock 10mm .
nuf said

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:15:41 PM »
i personally am a fan of the glocks
Im an OG

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:15:55 PM »
... I'm not to worried about not being able to hold onto the gun.... that thing was all over the place as the clip emptied

Gun control is being able to hit what you think you are aiming at
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

Anthony

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 476
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:37:04 PM »
I like my Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag.  Light loads are fun for play. Load heavier loads and it it a great gun for hunting.

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:37:40 PM »
In truth, the BEST thing to do is go to the gun store and handle a bunch.  Find out what feels good in your hand.  Then go to a gun range that has rentals and try some out and see how they feel when you operate/shoot them.  Pay attention to how they load, feed, trigger pull, recoil, and all that good stuff.  For me, how the safety mechanisims work is a big issure too.  Personally I don't like Glocks, but they are good guns, just like all the other big names.  Beretta, Sig, S&W, HK, Colt, Glock, are all plenty reliable guns, just find out what YOU like and think is fun.
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2005, 09:18:13 PM »
Gun control is being able to hit what you think you are aiming at

I've got that.  I've shot some handguns, and a lot of rifles :yupyup:  Most of the time I'm pretty accurate :hahaha:

-Ronald Reagan

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:16:36 PM »
Well I do like my S&W 629.

:yesnod:  my dream gun indeed.....and I second going to the gun store and handling as many as possible.  I had a certain ruger .357 in mind but thought the frame was too big for my little girly hands, went to check it out and it still looked too big, but when I picked it up it couldn't have fit my hand any better.  If you're set on an auto though I'd stick with the .40 cal for all around shootability and everyday usefullness, small enough to shoot a lot of loads and big enough to cure what ails ya.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:39:19 AM »
I own a 22/40 Glock and love it.  it a 40 cal.  tough, and very dependible you can shoot cheap ammo and they don't jam.  My friend has a sig I like it also, that would be a good choice also.  If you want a really good gun then go with teh Kimber (but expensive).  Also you will have to decide what size you are going to want, do you want to conceal and carry or not. 
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2005, 12:59:41 PM »
http://www.mkssupply.com/handguns.asp
cheap, but i have not really heard any bad about them.
for $179 i have been thinking of getting one, so i dont have to worry if i drop it into a bunch of mud or something.

derek

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »
What is your purpose for owning the piece? Fun, protection, both etc etc...? I have autos and wheel guns. My  :twocents: would be to get a good hammerless double action  wheel gun in a .38 that will handle +p loads. For fun you can shoot less powerfull inexpensive loads all day long. For your protection you can shoot +P loads that will ruin anyone's day. I would recommend a 4" or 6" barrel. This would be a good all around pistol.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:23:33 PM »
What is your purpose for owning the piece? Fun, protection, both etc etc...? I have autos and wheel guns. My  :twocents: would be to get a good hammerless double action  wheel gun in a .38 that will handle +p loads. For fun you can shoot less powerfull inexpensive loads all day long. For your protection you can shoot +P loads that will ruin anyone's day. I would recommend a 4" or 6" barrel. This would be a good all around pistol.

both.  You just about hit the nail on the head with what I was kinda thinkin.

-Ronald Reagan

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:12:24 PM »
I think the best "all around" hand gun cal. to have is .357 mag.

you can shot a low load .38, and then step up to a load that can reach out and touch some one.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »
I think the best "all around" hand gun cal. to have is .357 mag.

you can shot a low load .38, and then step up to a load that can reach out and touch some one.
I am not going to touch that one...where is Glen when we need him! :shake:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit: