Author Topic: 20r smoking from exhaust  (Read 5636 times)

Yotaoverland

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
20r smoking from exhaust
« on: Mar 27, 2017, 10:05:04 AM »
My 20r was rebuilt about a year ago by a local japanese engine shop. Even after the rebuild it had a bit of blowby at higher rpm. I eventually got
tired of oil coming out of the front breather filter on the valve cover pictured below

A few weeks ago I took the breather filter off and routed a hose in place to circulate the excess oil back into the intake.. as shown below...

Since then the engine seems to have deteriorated. I've experienced some weird symptoms. Vibrations at certain rpms and recently its began
smoking (burning oil). Did I completely trash an already :pokinit: motor?
Here is a short video of it idling.
https://youtu.be/dcp683OZyZg
I've thought of reinstalling a breather filter and hoping that its just the excess oil thats getting burned.. Worse case scenario is I burned up the rings somehow..
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: 20r smoking from exhaust
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
I may be wrong but I think the only thing the oil would do is foul up your plugs.  I would check out your plugs and see how they look, replace if they are crusty.

My 1980 pickup is original and a lot of oil makes it past the really worn out rings.  I switched to one step hotter plug on that engine and it makes the plugs last a bit longer.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
I may be wrong but I think the only thing the oil would do is foul up your plugs.  I would check out your plugs and see how they look, replace if they are crusty.

My 1980 pickup is original and a lot of oil makes it past the really worn out rings.  I switched to one step hotter plug on that engine and it makes the plugs last a bit longer.

Gotcha. I'll check that out. In the mean time, I went to autozone and got another breather filter and put that back as it was.. now it appears the front main seal is dumping oil... sheesh..
it's 22r time...
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »
The shop could have not offset a set of rings on a piston, or mic'd the cylinder bore wrong or thought it was close enough to be left alone, a partially closing valve can also cause it to smoke some. 

I would do a compression test/leak down test, and see what the cyls. are doing, if low or off, do a valve adjustment and see what the results are..

The amount of smoke you have, is that on start-up or all the time, just when cold, or even when hot?  What does it smell like?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »
The shop could have not offset a set of rings on a piston, or mic'd the cylinder bore wrong or thought it was close enough to be left alone, a partially closing valve can also cause it to smoke some. 

I would do a compression test/leak down test, and see what the cyls. are doing, if low or off, do a valve adjustment and see what the results are..

The amount of smoke you have, is that on start-up or all the time, just when cold, or even when hot?  What does it smell like?

After removing the front hose and placing a breather filter back on the pcv valve, it seems to have stopped smoking. I assume that hose was routing excess oil back into the intake and burning it.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
After removing the front hose and placing a breather filter back on the pcv valve, it seems to have stopped smoking. I assume that hose was routing excess oil back into the intake and burning it.

Are those filters K&N?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2017, 12:37:32 AM »

Is this back to the first pic, or is the current set-up the 2nd pic?  The first pic with the breather is correct, it is supposed to draw in filtered air from the air cleaner.

With oil being pushed out the front filter, that is usually a sign the PCV valve isn't working correctly, have you checked the PCV?  The valve is cheap, under $5.  You might also check to make sure air flows between the two ports on the valve cover.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:23:37 AM »
Are those filters K&N?

Gnarls.

Nope, just some crappy one from autozone.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:24:48 AM »
Is this back to the first pic, or is the current set-up the 2nd pic?  The first pic with the breather is correct, it is supposed to draw in filtered air from the air cleaner.

With oil being pushed out the front filter, that is usually a sign the PCV valve isn't working correctly, have you checked the PCV?  The valve is cheap, under $5.  You might also check to make sure air flows between the two ports on the valve cover.

Oh, I haven't checked the pcv valve actually. I'll look at that. I have wondered about that though.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:40:11 AM »
When I ran a weber my base plate for the air cleaner had a fitting in it and I ran a hose from the front vent on valve cover to it and the blow by would be drawn through the carb like the factory air cleaner would. By you tying the vent and pcv valve together you were not allowing the crank case pressure to properly vent. Therefore you now have a front seal leak. The little filter you put on there will always have oily residue on it. Just route it to the air cleaner (not a vacuum port on the intake) and you should be just fine. :thumbs:
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

MrFatEggs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
I would install an oil catch can on it as well. They catch alot of oil on the worn out 20/22rs. They are cheap and you can get them on eBay for about $10.