Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392502 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #90 on: Jul 10, 2016, 05:42:46 PM »
Got an O'ring from Ace Hardware...

I'd still like to give the O'ring a very light coat of Permatex Form-a-gasket No. 2?? .... just for poop 'n giggles?

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #91 on: Jul 10, 2016, 05:46:53 PM »
Hey excabswap.... I got that O'ring.  I thank you very much for your kind offer!  You should experience a little deposit in your Karma Bank!!  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls. :spin:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #92 on: Jul 10, 2016, 05:48:24 PM »
Hey no worries. Just be sure that you use the blue permatex.. it says thermostat housing and water pump on it

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #93 on: Jul 10, 2016, 05:58:26 PM »
Hey no worries. Just be sure that you use the blue permatex.. it says thermostat housing and water pump on it

Holy Crapity!!  :yikes:  Another Permatex!!  :yikes: Geez... I need to buy some Permatex stock!!  :greengrin:

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2016, 06:05:15 PM by Gnarly4X »

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Jul 10, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »
I always put some red RTV on that O-ring. No gasket, as it will space the O-ring too far away for a good seal. Been working on vehicles since I was 8, so when you get to tightening that pan gasket (cork) watch the edge of the gasket as you are snugging the bolts down and when the gasket JUST starts to bulge out a Little, THAT'S TIGHT, go no further and you will have no leaks. You're on the right track with being detailed.   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #95 on: Jul 10, 2016, 06:07:39 PM »
Here ya go.. this is a different product..
Yup lots of kinds of permatex haha

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #96 on: Jul 10, 2016, 06:20:26 PM »
I always put some red RTV on that O-ring. No gasket, as it will space the O-ring too far away for a good seal. Been working on vehicles since I was 8, so when you get to tightening that pan gasket (cork) watch the edge of the gasket as you are snugging the bolts down and when the gasket JUST starts to bulge out a Little, THAT'S TIGHT, go no further and you will have no leaks. You're on the right track with being detailed.   :biggthumpup:

Hi S,

Well...... I already did my oil pan.   Hopefully it sealed right.  I was going to use a gasket, and then I decided to try it without one, since the cork gaskets do have a tendency to squish out.  I didn't RTV it and leave it overnight that was recommended.  I used the rest of my expensive the Right Stuff, let it dry for about 1 hour. Layed the pan on the block. Let it sit for about 2 hours, then tighten the pan bolts just barely finger tight. Let it sit for another 2 hours, then torqued them down.  I got a little squish coming out on a couple places.   So.... I will know after I fire it up and check for leaks!!

There's so many ways to do stuff.  I tend to be more anal and cautious just because I don't have that much experience.

I appreciate the input!  I'm making notes from all the hot tips I get here!  :thumbs:

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2016, 04:17:49 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #97 on: Jul 10, 2016, 06:24:21 PM »
Here ya go.. this is a different product..
Yup lots of kinds of permatex haha

Where did you find that?? 

Just so you know, all of Permatex Ultra Series RTV is "sensor safe".

Gnarls.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #98 on: Jul 10, 2016, 06:40:30 PM »
You can find it at O'Reilly auto parts.. the big reason i posted this type instead is because it's made for water pump type seals

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #99 on: Jul 12, 2016, 04:18:23 AM »
Just an FYI,

Not that I had any doubts about the top notch expert gurus here on this forum... but I was curious what Peratex would say...

I got an email response from Permatex Technical Services.  They recommend Ultra Blue or Ultra Gray for the water temp sensing pipes.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016, 04:25:33 AM by Gnarly4X »

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #100 on: Jul 12, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
But those aren't temp sensor pipes, i thought you were doing the heater core bypass pipe...
 🤔

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Jul 12, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »
I actually like the cork gasket on the older style 20R/22R pans.  They are usually flat though unlike the later model 22RE ones.  I used the cork with that spray on copper looking stuff and so far no leaks.

On the later style with the dips in the flange I have used both grey and black permatex with success and the Toyota stuff a few times too.

I have found that whatever I use, I have a better seal if I wipe the mating surfaces down with acetone before application.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016, 03:44:56 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #102 on: Jul 12, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »
I actually like the cork gasket on the older style 20R/22R pans.  They are usually flat though unlike the later model 22RE ones.  I used the cork with that spray on copper looking stuff and so far no leaks.

On the later style with the dips in the flange I have used both grey and black permatex with success and the Toyota stuff a few times too.

I have found that whatever I use, I have a better seal if I wipe the mating surfaces down with acetone before application.

Hi H,

I think probably any of the popular Permatex gasket making products will work fine on the oil pan, with or without the cork gasket. If the cork gasket is allowed to "set up" some before torquing the bolts, I think it will seal fine. 

I bought 3 gallons of paint thinner for my basic degreasing, and 1 galllon of acetone for final cleaning.  I have used starting fluid as well for super cleaning.  For the carbon inside the intake manifold and throttle body, I used a little steel brush and carb and brake cleaner.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #103 on: Jul 12, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »
But those aren't temp sensor pipes, i thought you were doing the heater core bypass pipe...

Hi e,

I called it a water temperature sensing pipe because there is a temperature sensor that sits on top of the port where the pipe flange and rubber O'ring sit.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016, 07:22:58 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #104 on: Jul 12, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »
Update:  7-12-16

I was going to temporarily use my stock exhaust manifold, but discovered a micro-crack  :ack: where it was obviously over-heated when the engine ran out of coolant.

So... now I'm going to spend about $1,000  :yikes: for a Doug Thorley header and new 2.25" exhaust pipe, and will most likely have to buy a new cat and muffler.   :smack:

Gnarls.  :spin:

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #105 on: Jul 12, 2016, 07:40:28 PM »
My Doug thorley Tri Y was only 300 and i think i only paid 100 for the header back including the flowmaster... hope you find a good deal

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #106 on: Jul 12, 2016, 07:46:23 PM »
My Doug thorley Tri Y was only 300 and i think i only paid 100 for the header back including the flowmaster... hope you find a good deal

Hey e,

Yeah... back when I started my spreadsheet and plugged in estimated costs, I did some quick research on sources and costs, but I'll search for a good deal.

I'm now considering"fundmyproject"!! for some public benevolence. :sad2:

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #107 on: Jul 14, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »
I know you're on the tail end, but LCE is having a giveaway on their facebook and instagram account... a nice shiny header is one of the prizes! I'm not a big LCE fan for their header, but free is free!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #108 on: Jul 14, 2016, 08:01:30 PM »
I know you're on the tail end, but LCE is having a giveaway on their facebook and instagram account... a nice shiny header is one of the prizes! I'm not a big LCE fan for their header, but free is free!

Hi e,

Gee, it would be nice feel like I'm at the "tail end".  I would like to get the engine back together this week end, and then prep the engine bay and get it ready to drop the engine back onto to the motor mounts, remount the A/C compressor, pulleys, alternator, etc.  I'm not going as fast as I thought I would.

Yes, I went to the FB and saw the ad.  I'm not a FB expert, so I won't tag any friends.  The LCE header is a 4-into-1 style and is known for it's high quality.  I don't think it would be any better than a Doug Thorley, but I don't have anything to compare it to.  From my understanding it's good for top end RPM but may trade off some lower RPM torque.  For my current build, cam & OS valves, I think the DT header is a better choice, BUT..... a free $400 header would be awesome.

It would be fun to chassis dyno the two headers and see the results.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Jul 14, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
Double check everything when reassembling. Just got mine fired up this week...and I have problems with the number 4 cylinder. I'd hate to see something like that happen to you Gnarly.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Jul 14, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »

Look up lce vs doug thorley header.  Lots of stuff out there where people felt like they wasted their money on thorley, bought lce and were much happier. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #111 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »
Double check everything when reassembling. Just got mine fired up this week...and I have problems with the number 4 cylinder. I'd hate to see something like that happen to you Gnarly.

What happened to #4?

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #112 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:26:31 AM »
Just make sure you use REMFLEX gaskets for the header and you'll be fine. Most all the problems were because they didn't get a good seal at the head

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #113 on: Jul 15, 2016, 04:45:11 PM »
Look up lce vs doug thorley header.  Lots of stuff out there...

Hi k,

Yeah, the problem for me is that I can't find anyone willing to share certified dyno test data.  So I can take from what
 LCE says and I take from DT what they say, and I cab take what everyone says who has an opinion, or has installed one, or both headers.

I'll do some more research.  It's been years since I was very actively involved in these 22s, so I'm a little behind.

I appreciate your input.

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2016, 05:52:12 PM by Gnarly4X »

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #114 on: Jul 15, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
I've ran both, honestly could not feel a seat of the pants difference.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #115 on: Jul 15, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »
I'll bet either is better than stock though lol

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #116 on: Jul 15, 2016, 08:31:33 PM »
I've ran both, honestly could not feel a seat of the pants difference.

Hey r,

Well, I installed a DT on my first '86 long bed automatic 22RE, I installed DT on my 22R 1985 short bed, 5-speed, and both times it was VERY noticeable for me.

My old butt dyno maybe a tad more sensitive?  :gap:

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2016, 08:37:32 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #117 on: Jul 15, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
Look up lce vs doug thorley header.  Lots of stuff out there where people felt like they wasted their money on thorley, bought lce and were much happier. 

Hi k,

Well, thank you for your post and poking me to do some research.  I spoke to LCE this afternoon.  I also did some web searches.  I still want to talk to a couple other 22 "experts" and get some more opinions.  But.. at this point I'm leaning heavily towards buying an LCE header!!... I'll go 2.25" on the exhaust pipe with free flow cat and muffler.

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2016, 04:17:03 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #118 on: Jul 15, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »
Just make sure you use REMFLEX gaskets for the header and you'll be fine. Most all the problems were because they didn't get a good seal at the head

Well... I have read posts on a car forum that the Remflex gaskets are no good????

I'll probably go with the gasket that is supplied with the header from LCE.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #119 on: Jul 15, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
They have a 50% crush rate, 100% graphite and no re-torque needed