Author Topic: accoridan style differential breathers  (Read 4081 times)

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
accoridan style differential breathers
« on: Jan 29, 2005, 12:55:54 AM »
Any of you guys seen the accordian style differential breathers in Peterson's 4 wheel and offroad? They look like accordians and expand/ contract with the air in your diffs. I thought they were cool and seem a no brainer to install.(like the standard ones are hard :greengrin: )
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: accoridan style differential breathers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2005, 07:10:36 PM »
I have seen them, but I don't know if I trust them...I sure as hell wouldn't put one on the rear...how much can they expand, you know?  I'm just more comfortable with lines run up to a small filter, like I have already.

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2005, 12:11:16 AM »
where do u buy that yellow air hose most people use?
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8461
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2005, 12:17:42 AM »
Harbor Freight for the hose.
I used a fitting off of an EFI manifold, tranny line & a cheap filter in the engine compartment.
I don't know if I would trust the bellows thing or not. I know I have not had a milkshake in either axle even after being in water to the door bottom.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2005, 04:08:10 AM »
I am about to pull mine off and just run black baloons on them.  They will expand if need be and will hold the water out you dont have to run any hose, lines or filters.

Oh, that is just to go wheelin.  THen I would pull them off and chuck em and stick new ones on next time I went wheelin.

85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010, 01:11:56 PM »
I put the trial-gear accordian style breather on my rear end and now I am reconsidering.  My rear end has been leaking out the companion flange for a while and I think its the seal but I think the leaking is also due to excessive pressure.  When I removed the filler bolt it sucked in a whole bunch of air.  I plan on getting some hose and running it up higher and putting a filter on the end.  I don't trust the stock breathers eithe(at least for keeping junk out).

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »
I have seen them blowseals, get ripped off, break off when snow wheeling. The same thing will happen with balloons. IMHO they are both junk, stick with the hose.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:13:47 PM »
I agree x3 with Duffil and OOPS. I tried those breathers, they dont work, that make more leaks than they are worth. Plus the front breather was so big it hit the frame.
I got fuel line and vw fuel filters to fix mine, in the rear I ran it all up inside the taillight as high as I could get it, then in front up to the engine compartment, again as high as I could get it.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58674.0

85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:23:43 AM »
The object of the breather is to relieve pressure not create it. The accordian bellows does not release the pressure but in fact contains it within the diff.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

GotMyYotaBack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Apr '09
  • "I like Turtles" Google it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2010, 02:42:12 PM »
The idea is that it expands and contracts with the presure, and keeps anything from ever contaminating your diff, or your diff from ever contaminating mother nature, they are mandatory in most rock crawling events. I just bought some, havent installed them yet but I like the concept. The air in your diff doesnt need to breath, it just needs to expand and contract and solid metal wont let it.
Trekker Build- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64943.0

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So dont tell me I spelled it wrong! You knew what I ment.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »
If I had to run them in comp I would still run a tube off the diff and adapt one of those on the end of the tube. I have seen them get ripped off the housings and then you have nothing.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
long tube/hose with a filter.... only way to go
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:44:34 PM »
comp rules are retarted if they are mandortory i would be like well whats wrong with my homemade ones? I seen the fuel filter and long hose setup on a comp vechile at Jimmy's 4x4, so not sure of thats true or not.
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2010, 11:28:23 PM »
comp rules are retarted if they are mandortory i would be like well whats wrong with my homemade ones? I seen the fuel filter and long hose setup on a comp vechile at Jimmy's 4x4, so not sure of thats true or not.

oil will still come out of that filter whe you roll it. thats why

i had the TG breather and the day after i put it on the gasket sealer blew out of the diff. i use hose with a filter although i seen alot of the KOH racers with the acordian style
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

GotMyYotaBack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Apr '09
  • "I like Turtles" Google it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2010, 12:50:37 PM »
oil will still come out of that filter whe you roll it. thats why
  Yep, thats why
[/quote]
i had the TG breather and the day after i put it on the gasket sealer blew out of the diff. i use hose with a filter although i seen alot of the KOH racers with the acordian style
[/quote]

If thats true, then I think I'm out. If they arnt big enough to handle regular expansion then screw that, I dont needs to blow the new axle seals I just put in. If it blew RTV out from the diff, then there is alot of presure. I cant afford the risk. Looks like tubes and filters for me. If I roll it I will just flip it back over real quick like :)
Trekker Build- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64943.0

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So dont tell me I spelled it wrong! You knew what I ment.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2010, 12:59:31 PM »
I had the Accordian style in and my driveline input shaft was leaking.  But It hasn't leaked since I put fuel line extention in. ( Removed the Accordian style).  It's been in about 2 weeks now.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:21:59 PM »
I do not think the rules state "Accordian style". I would think they would state "Contained" which could be a hose into a "catch can" set up. Mine vents into one of the tubes on my flatbed.