Author Topic: Tylers 1981 Toyota Trekker Build  (Read 53788 times)

GotMyYotaBack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Apr '09
  • "I like Turtles" Google it
    • View Profile
Tylers 1981 Toyota Trekker Build
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Bought my son, Tyler, a 1981 Toyota Trekker for Christmas. Gonna start rippin into it next week. Heres what we have planned so far:

- Rears Up Front
  - SAS Ft Hanger (much beefier then stock+ 1" lift, and better pinion angle
  - 6" Ft Shackle
  - Chevies in the Rear, conventional shackle length unknown yet
  - Hi-Steer and IFS box (Thanks Judd)
  - U-Bolts Flip Kits (Thanks Judd)
  - Late model rear Housing (Thanks Judd)

Thats what we know we are doing, the rest is up for debate  :gap:

I'm not sure what size tires this set up is going to allow, input would be great. We want 35" or bigger. The truck needs to make threw the hard trails, but will also (someday  :crossed:) be his DD. We have the obvious plans of gutting the interor and making it pretty again, aswell as full Cage and Armor, but thats all after I get it sitting correctly, and running correctly   :smack:.........wich brings up my big delima, I was told its a Federal Vehicle, the hoods been replaced and the emissions sticker is gone. My Haynes Book skips this model, it has a 2wd Fed but no 4wd. Best I can tell the emisssions vacuum tubing is all gone, so I need to replace it if I want to pass smog, They are all differant, I need to know which it originally was before I start buying parts.
   The trucks has what looks like 150k and when we started it it idled and then would fall on its face if givin a load, but sounded great. No engine noise, so knowing these engines I assume its a keeper. The carb smells like turpentine and it has sat a long time, so rebuild or R&R+ add smog is what she needs to stay under the hood. Pland B, I have a 22RE on the stand, it only has 10k on it, survey say's an aftermarket harness will cost me $300, and then its plug and play. I could even go to a ref and get it smogged. The 2 problems I have with plan B are 1- I hate to put a good 22R out to pasture just cause some tool yanked the smogg equiptment. and 2- that 22RE is my spare for my Runner that has 227k on it, still runs great but will likely poop out the day after I bolt the spare into my sons truck.  :smack:

Heres a Pic of the truck on Christmas morning. All  :twocents: are welcome.

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009, 04:40:06 PM by GotMyYotaBack »
Trekker Build- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64943.0

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So dont tell me I spelled it wrong! You knew what I ment.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Re: Tylers 1981 Toyota Trekker Build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
sounds like a great build and what a lucky son
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
back in the 80's theyhad a Toyota commercial that the Toyota owner would jump like that :yupyup:

I know I did when i bought my 79  back in 94

since those bodies are RARE  please dont cut it

ok, now,  I'd shoot for 4 inches lift,  this will easily allow for 35's (i'd keep it low so young son keeps it rubber side down :thumbs:

i would say go F150's in the back those chevies will be a HUGE anchor hanging off the back
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
i have a 81 with a crap load of emmissions junk,  send me $25 and i'll send everything that will fit in a flat rate box
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »
cool! lucky kid!!

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
back in the 80's theyhad a Toyota commercial that the Toyota owner would jump like that :yupyup:

I know I did when i bought my 79  back in 94

since those bodies are RARE  please dont cut it

ok, now,  I'd shoot for 4 inches lift,  this will easily allow for 35's (i'd keep it low so young son keeps it rubber side down :thumbs:

i would say go F150's in the back those chevies will be a HUGE anchor hanging off the back

Yea, those were the "Go Toyota" Comercials, thats what he was doing. What do mean anchors? I run them on my Runner and they work well, what lenghth and advantage do the F150 springs offer, I've not heard of them in a build yet. And yes, I am looking for Min. height without cutting body but still clearing at least 35" prefably 37". We wont cut the rear of the body, but it is geting the standard 1st gen fender clip up ft.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:12:20 AM »
i have a 81 with a crap load of emmissions junk,  send me $25 and i'll send everything that will fit in a flat rate box

Where are you located? How big is a standard rate box?

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »
should be a good build, that's quite possibly the best Christmas present ever, lucky kid.

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »
 :clap2: Got some parts yesterday, still need Chevies, and rear shackle set up.  :wave:
Tyler and I want the Black Ft. Grille w/ new bezels, and Halo Lights- anyone need a Chrome Grille?

Front Hanger

Front Shock Hoops

Rear Hangers

Front Shackles

IFS Steering Box Mount

Almost took me longer to put these on the internet, as it will to put them on the truck  :smack:

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2009, 11:58:57 AM by GotMyYotaBack »

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:40:41 AM »
your pics don't work..... in the last post.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
flat rate box is like 12x12 and 4 or 5 inches deep

Ive got F150's on my truck,  and Lilbuddy runs them,  several of my friends run them, shorter than the chevies but longer than stock almost the same length as Marlin or AllPro springs, and give a truck about 4 inches of lift

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »
These pictures are making me nuts!  :shocking:

I preview the post, pic by pic and all is well, then I load the last one and the 1st couple get red x'd?

I was using webshots, As soon as I take them off my screen they go red x. Looks like I will go back to Facebook as my web hosting site.

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »
 :thumbs: Pictures Fixed.  :driving:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:21:06 PM »
Wow! Lucky boy you have there. Wish my dad would have bought me a Trekker for Xmas... :(

Looks like a sweet project, I will definitely be watching this. I agree about the 63s, I run them and love them though I have seen the F150s in action and they do work well too.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »
Picked up the Chevy rear springs today (Thanks Raymond)  :thumbs:

Long suckers on this short little truck, I can wait to start cuttin!  :willynilly:

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »
That's how I woulda reacted today if I had gotten a Trekker and I'm 40. Kid, you did your Dad proud with that response.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »

Ive got F150's on my truck,  and Lilbuddy runs them,  several of my friends run them, shorter than the chevies but longer than stock almost the same length as Marlin or AllPro springs, and give a truck about 4 inches of lift

I'd like to take you up on your offer, can you post a picture of what you have. I would hate to waste your time, or my money :)

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:20:23 PM »
Picked some more parts this week. but left my Camera in my 4runner after snow run, will take pics this weekend. Spent some time tinkering with running condition. The Vacuum Advance was disconnected, so I was sure that was the no accel problem. After reading tons of diagrams, I think I have it hooked up right. Still no go though. Checked fuel system, replaced filter. The truck will idle by itself, as soon as I crack the throttle it falls flat and dies, I add Chemtool and walla we have acceleration in RPM. I have all vacuum either capped or attached and still....So I have a new Holley on the bench but really didnt think I needed it. Now I'm thinkin maybee I do.

Side note, maybe related, the fuel filter isnt filling all the way up, and the Fuel Pump is leaking oil. I wonder if I have a volume issue (bad pump?) but the float bowl is full (sight glass) wouldnt that have to empty before she fell on her face like lack of fuel?

I think I need to swap carbs and see wtf?

studentwheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 121
  • Male Posts: 382
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
Picked some more parts this week. but left my Camera in my 4runner after snow run, will take pics this weekend. Spent some time tinkering with running condition. The Vacuum Advance was disconnected, so I was sure that was the no accel problem. After reading tons of diagrams, I think I have it hooked up right. Still no go though. Checked fuel system, replaced filter. The truck will idle by itself, as soon as I crack the throttle it falls flat and dies, I add Chemtool and walla we have acceleration in RPM. I have all vacuum either capped or attached and still....So I have a new Holley on the bench but really didnt think I needed it. Now I'm thinkin maybee I do.

Side note, maybe related, the fuel filter isnt filling all the way up, and the Fuel Pump is leaking oil. I wonder if I have a volume issue (bad pump?) but the float bowl is full (sight glass) wouldnt that have to empty before she fell on her face like lack of fuel?

I think I need to swap carbs and see wtf?

I think ya figured that one out tonight  :beer:

Do you have snow runs pics? (post them here or fb)

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2010, 11:12:14 PM »
Well, It was the Carb, it was loaded with mud, this backs up last owners story that it got subbed in mud, and then never ran agan. Changed carb and were runnin! Changed oil, and all filters and we are ready to  :driving:

Tyler and I decided (On Andy's recomendation) to take it out stock 1st, before swapping the suspension/gears. Off to La Grange today, about an hour before the down pour. Note to self, dont teach a 16yr old how to drive a stick at an off road park, in the rain and cold, without a defroster  :smack:

We made it, had a great time and Tyler got about an hour and a half of wheel time. Here are some pics.

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »
More.......

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2010, 11:39:36 PM »
More...

Andy had alittle help..

It got ugly on the way home

studentwheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 121
  • Male Posts: 382
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2010, 11:49:59 PM »
Fun little outing! gotta get the defroster workin! Angela driving through town was a challenge...when you caught up with us at the light that was our second cycle, haha....

Tyler impressed me out there today...not sure how much yelling there was going on back and forth but from the outside all looked smooth.

yoda87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2010, 01:10:51 AM »
wow thats really awesome to see that theres still trekkers still out there in that good of condition. very jealous, good luck on the build man
Theres only one way to find out... Boom!

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:11:24 AM »
Yeah, nice lookin trekker!  lookin forward to following the build!

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:16:56 AM »

Lilbuddy hasn't ran F150s for years now...

There's also a reason people run 63's verse F150's, Chevys will last forver if you leave the overloads on and they keep it lower. F150's make your rig way tall, are wayyy soft, and flatten out way fast.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 10:32:39 AM by 79coyotefrg »
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »
On another note, the truck looks clean. Can't wait to tech him how to bash it up! hahaha jk
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
Lilbuddy hasn't ran F150s for years now...

There's also a reason people run 63's verse F150's, Chevys will last forver if you leave the overloads on and they keep it lower.

Yeah I bought my 63s off a guy who had them on a buggy with 42s for years, then I swapped them into my 4runner 4 years ago and they still have perfect arc, and they are nice and flexy.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

GotMyYotaBack [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:43:58 AM »
Yea, I am a Chevy fan, this truck is being built identicle to my Runner, why fix it if it aint broke  :greengrin:

slacker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 796
  • Member since May '07
  • Master Mould Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
should post up on http://toyotatrekker.com .. they LIKE Trekkers too  :)

TREKKER PARTS
86  "shop truck"  lots of fiber parts . 
84 2WD wide body "hotrod"  1GZ
83 3.4L S/C Trekker SR5
82 Mirage  #001
83 Mojave #465
86 3.4L twin turbo Mojave tribute