Author Topic: diff breathers?  (Read 3066 times)

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
diff breathers?
« on: May 07, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »
Alright my question is that of plumbin, as I was takin a leak this morning and flushed the toilet I began thinking of the principles of toilet flushing. and then the traps in sinks and was wondering why I couldnt do that with my diff breathers. Couldnt I go up to the engine bay and loop it back down towards the frame? wouldnt that prevent water intake?

I know that their will be a certain amount of vaccume when you cool a diff off however I dont know if it owuld be enough to suck water up 2 feet of tubing?

What are your thoughts?
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: diff breathers?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
A diff breathers real purpose is to let the axle "breathe" air from thermal expansion (usually caused by water crossings) not keep water or debris out....that is a secondary function...

Without a breather, or if your breather is clogged, the pressure that builds up inside the axle housing will most likely push gear oil past your pinion or axle seals.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:15:38 AM »
A diff breathers real purpose is to let the axle "breathe" air from thermal expansion (usually caused by water crossings) not keep water or debris out....that is a secondary function...

Without a breather, or if your breather is clogged, the pressure that builds up inside the axle housing will most likely push gear oil past your pinion or axle seals.

I  wouldnt remove or plug the diff breather however my thought is the down section of the breather would prevent water from coming up the tube, when you enter the water the diff will cool rapidily and the inside air and outside air should neutralize then when the rest of the rig enters the water the air in the diff will prevent the flow of water in. 

So that you wouldnt have to worry about plugin the diff breather for crossings, the desighn would allow for free pressure equalization and still protect auto...

WILLYNILLY

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »

I  wouldnt remove or plug the diff breather however my thought is the down section of the breather would prevent water from coming up the tube, when you enter the water the diff will cool rapidily and the inside air and outside air should neutralize then when the rest of the rig enters the water the air in the diff will prevent the flow of water in. 

So that you wouldnt have to worry about plugin the diff breather for crossings, the desighn would allow for free pressure equalization and still protect auto...
My diff breather is hooked up all the time...its just a hose with a small fuel filter on it. I just keep my filter above the air intake under the hood....if I have water that high I have other problems!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
Yes, works great and can't spill even in a rollover.  Many ATVs, snowmobiles, and other vehicles come equipped with loop type vents.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
 yep, my breather has a length of fuel line that wraps around the frame and has a cheapo fuel filter on the end.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:32:09 AM »
i recently discovered  the diff breathers  are the same thread size and pitch  as the brake lines

SOOOO

you can use  a couple  old  rear brake lines  for a diff breather, then  put the stock "filter thingy"  on the end and zip tie it to the frame
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

boobap

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
i ran all 4 (both axles, tranny, and t-case) lines with just 3/8 clear tubing into an old chevy valve cover vent (you know that chrome thingy that looks like a mushroom on the drivers side valve cover) and then mounted that to the firewall...
An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »
Hey Skipin, I ran the rear axle vent through a stainless steel braided fuel line to inside and above the tail light and the front through another SS.braided line to beside the wiper motor. I'm still trying to figure out how to vent the 5speed std. trans and the gear driven transfer case.
Any way you got your rig back  :headscratch:
Later young fellow, DanS   
Hey Skipin, thought I'd get back to you. I ran both my diff's to the engine bay beside the wiper motor to mini K&N filters, Also I tapped the shifter plate with 1/8"NPT fitting and ran a vent line to the engine bay also. DanS
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2008, 06:07:46 PM by DanS »
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »
I ran vacuum line up to the engine compartment from both differentials and have a breather on the end in the engine compartment.   

I figure if water gets that high, I'll have other problems.........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »
Yea prob the best way to go!

WILLYNILLY

spc mike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »
i have a hose going into my engine bay with a mini filter at the end and it works fine..