Author Topic: Lawn experts!! I need help!  (Read 2693 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Lawn experts!! I need help!
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
Anyone here a lawn expert?  I need to replant my lawn, as it is completely dead.  Also, I've got a lot of weeds (seems to be the only thing living after the bank shut off the water to the house a year ago  :maddest:

I've poked around on the intardnet, but all the information seems to be contradictory.  I need a good grass that doesn't need a lot of water, does well in sandy soil, and can handle a lot of heat and a lot of cold. 

Any ideas? 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn experts!! I need help!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »
I heard this stuff grows pretty much anywhere :dunno:

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »
get a good playground grass, k-mart used to sell the best, would grow in any soil and took hardly any water. you cant beat playground grass they use like more than 4 varities of grass.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:37:53 AM »
I here thats this grass U get in plugs that $$  but it's hard core grass       says on the box  2 walk on it/ kick it and stuff and it likes it/grows      just got plant a few plugs here ans there and in a yr you got grass
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:25:02 PM »
Jason,  bermuda grass,   once  it gets started  you would have to spray it with diesel fuel to kill it
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

907yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »
I heard this stuff grows pretty much anywhere :dunno:

Not in alaska!!!not out door anyway
86 reg cab turbo,99runner,95pickup all 4x4
09 honda rincon 680cc 4x4
2000 yamaha badger 80cc (for the kids)
Chicken nutt bread!!!

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 01:55:42 PM »
Astroturf.........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »
River rock :yupyup: and stock up on Roundup... it works.

But really... Don't listen to the east coast guys.. what is good for the east coast is not the same for the west coast.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 05:35:11 PM »
Astroturf.........

Acutally, there was a modern marvels show on some new sort of astro turf like thing you can get for your yard that looks and feels real but it is :bling:

I WANT IT!
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
theres a house about 40mins away that have a beach sand yard and big boulders looks 
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »
River rock :yupyup: and stock up on Roundup... it works.

But really... Don't listen to the east coast guys.. what is good for the east coast is not the same for the west coast.

Yeah, I need to get some roundup, but I want to stick to grass. I'm not a huge fan of yards full of rocks, unless they're big enough to wheel :gap:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28:27 PM »
Yeah, I need to get some roundup, but I want to stick to grass. I'm not a huge fan of yards full of rocks, unless they're big enough to wheel :gap:

Rocks  :reg: Tucson turf!

Buy a load or two of composted manure, mix it with the sand and lay some sod down. If you get some friends to help (and provide the brew) you can get a lawn laid in half a day.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »
Just pour concrete, and paint it green!  Don't have to water, mow, or fertilize!  You can drive on it and it will be fine!  :rofl2:

Just look for a farm and garden store.  Usually, they can help out with what grows well and what weed and feed to use.  And in your area, water lots of it!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 10:52:21 PM »
And in your area, water lots of it!

Yeah, something we don't have a whole lot of around these parts :gap:

-Ronald Reagan

toby

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 05:38:18 PM »
you need 4 - 6 " of good top soil, water it really deep about every 3 days once it has started. If you water daily your roots grow near the surface because all the water is there. The deeper you water, the deeper your roots grow, making it sturdier, more resilient. Also when it does grow enough to mow it, mow to a longer length. Hold moisture in and actually shades itself. Fertilize with a starter fertilizer when you plant, in the early spring put a pre emergent on it, this will kill the weeds before they grow. I would probably wait until fall to plant it, It will have a hard time growing int he warmer weather. As for what seed to use, go to the local Home Depot ask for someone knowledgeable in ther garden center, and ask what seeds they recommend. If you want a nice lawn don't buy the cheap seed, they add alot of crap into it. While it is starting to grow it will take more watering, you want to keep it wet, but no puddles.
I'm not as good as I once was, but, I'm as good once as I ever was.

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »
I just planted my whole yard with Kentucky blue grass seed.  I airraided the yard then spreed the seeds and watered everyday for about 10 - 15 minutes and withen about two weeks my yard looks great.  I was very surprised since I just cut down 26 pine trees which makes the ground have a lot of acid.  It looks a lot better than I expected.  I am going to fertilize this week.  Then this fall I will airraid again and re seed the yard again just to take care of a few bald spots.  I had tried to seed the yard a few times in the last few years using cheep stuff from K mart/walmart however nothing ever happened.  This Kentucky blue grass is working great.  I live in VA though.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »
Meh.  You don't need all of that fancy lawn care B.S.  Just get a bunch of Bermuda and let it grow like the weed it is.  note - don't cut it - let it grow 4-6 inches tall.  It'll get brown in the winter, but it's about as drought resistant as it gets.

Yucca also works. ;)  Makes a nice barrier as well.