Author Topic: Annoying Orange, 20r Build for the 1980 Pickup  (Read 58775 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
A little suggestion for when using just FIPG instead of a gasket, comes from building plane engines.  Embed silk thread into the FIPG. Used to do this on my VWs between the case halves using Gaskasinch. A little insurance against leaks. Does a great job.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
...  Embed silk thread into the FIPG....

If I had to fork with "embedding" a piece of thread into sticky sealer, I'd be quickly looking for another sealer!  :smack:

Gnarls.  :gap:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
If I had to fork with "embedding" a piece of thread into sticky sealer, I'd be quickly looking for another sealer!  :smack:

Gnarls.  :gap:

Using silk thread is just a bit of insurance. FIPG was not designed for the interface between the timing cover and block. Differing coefficients of expansion and contraction with such a narrow mating surface is sketchy. I've not used FIPG alone on a 22R timing cover, yet, always had gaskets. In the cases where I have used silk thread with sealer it was well worth the extra hassle.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Using silk thread is just a bit of insurance. FIPG was not designed for the interface between the timing cover and block. Differing coefficients of expansion and contraction with such a narrow mating surface is sketchy. I've not used FIPG alone on a 22R timing cover, yet, always had gaskets. In the cases where I have used silk thread with sealer it was well worth the extra hassle.

Permatex makes a whole bunch of "gasket makers"!!

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/optimum-gasket-makers/permatex-optimum-grey-gasket-maker/

For sealing a timing cover on a 22 - the Optimum Grey should be more than adequate.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2020, 06:42:15 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
The FIPG is still working good on the timing cover.  My cheapo valve cover gasket and front main seal are leaking though :).  Might replace those soon.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
The FIPG is still working good on the timing cover.  My cheapo valve cover gasket and front main seal are leaking though :).  Might replace those soon.

Hey H...

Good to read from you again!!

For the rocker cover, I like Beck/Arnley.  The front main, Toyota or Timken.

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
So after running this thing a while this is the favorite motor I have built so far.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K