Author Topic: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna - Rebuild 1.0  (Read 159602 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile

Today I tweeked my steering stops and drag link length. I'm much happier with the steering capabilities. I'm still perplexed, though, as it seems that I still have more "turn" in my box when my knuckles stop. It actually pulls the axle to one side when the knuckles and steering stops kick in. Is that normal?

Thanks to friends, I avoided a novice mistake. I was reading through my Toyota Factory Service Manual (FSM) and read something about part of the steering box requiring gear oil. I panicked thinking I had run the box dry for a long time. So, I called Glen and Dennis and they confirmed that the box only required power steering fluid (ATF) as I had been running and suspected. I guess the FSM thought I had a manual gear box or something... I don't know...
 I know many people don't, but I'm looking for info. on running a sway bar up front. I think I might be able to get the factory bar to work, but I don't know. Any thoughts on front or rear sway bar?

Sorry I don't have any pics and that my post is quite lengthy. I'll link up pics as soon as they're available.
......yes..this is normal...the box turns more than your knuckles do....

Yup...ATF only.....power steering fluid will make your box leak

Crawlers don't have sway bars....I have never seen one or heard of anyone running one...They limit flex in a major way. If your truck is set up right you should never need one
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco