Author Topic: Advanced Theology II  (Read 31060 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Theology II
« Reply #210 on: Jul 24, 2007, 04:46:27 PM »
If you say that some things are sin to one person but not another... then who is the judge??? I could say that flirting as a married man is not a sin to me.. but maybe its a sin to you?? Or what about fighting... fighting to me is a sin... but to you its not?? Who is the ultimate judge? Does God say to us... listen here.. for you this will be a sin.. but for you.. its not a sin.. no.. that makes no sense! God determines sin.. and sin is sin.

On the surface I agree with you, but in practice it's difficult to apply.  I believe that the Bible contains an absolute truth and we as believers need to be constantly working towards discovering that perfect truth.  I also believe that we are held accountable for the knowledge that we have and the knowledge that we had the opportunity to learn and chose to ignore.  To a certain point man has the ability to judge actions, but only God can judge the heart and a persons motive.  Let's take an example:

Exodus 20:13 "You shall not murder." NKJV

Now the question is what is the absolute truth containted in this commandment?  Obviously, it is a sin for me to walk into a place of business and shoot a random person, but is it wrong to kill someone in war?  Are there situations in war where it would be wrong?  Am I justifed to kill in time of war simply because a superior officer gives the order?  Christ expands on this verse and tells us that hate (i.e. wishing someone was dead) is the same as murder.

Discussion like this can go on for ever, and this commandment is probably one of the most simple of them all.  This, I believe is where the gift of grace is so amazing and important.  We are only accountable for what the Holy Spirit has convicted us and the rest is covered under grace.  I believe that we are responsible to ask forgiveness for the sins that we know about, but it is impossible to ask forgiveness for every sin we commit.

This is partially why the Mosiac laws were so complicated, they were setting the boundaries in such a way to create a buffer zone to ensure they didn't error.  The end result was extreme legalism that can also rob a person of the freedom that God brings.

When we get to heaven it will be eye opening and amazing to spent eternity learning about God, His Love, His Mercy, and His Law.

Does this make any more sense?

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved