Author Topic: Rearend-Driveline noise, & Problems  (Read 1028 times)

Old Man from FL

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Rearend-Driveline noise, & Problems
« on: Apr 20, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
Hello folks, 
I've had  4x4 Toyota pickups since the early 1980's.   My third on is a 1995, 22RE, 5 speed, extended cab, bought new, 150,000 miles.  Unlike the other two I have been kind to this one!  It has developed a bad clunk in the rearend.   Been running synthetic lube for years and it looks clean with no metal showing in the fill plug.  Have a huge (3/4 inch rotation of the pinion flange) amount of pinion backlash (or spider gear-axle gear slop).  Shifting gears, getting off the gas and back on it,  rocking the truck in gear, engine off results in CLANK-CLANK.  As loud as an old Mopar rear end from the 1970's.

Last year I replaced the driveshaft center bearing.  It is gone again.  (My fault, old grease had hydraulic locked the rear slip yoke.)  Recent greasing lengthened the drive shaft and killed the center bearing.  (I had to remove the zerk from the slip yoke, releasing pressure to get the shaft out.) Dug out all the old, hardened grease today.  Some red, some black, some white and some yellow grease that was as hard as candle wax.

I get clunking noise's when pulling and pushing the right rear in and out of the housing.  A slight clicking when rotating the right rear tire, with the left tire blocked.

Plan to drain the rear tomorrow and look for metal on the magnet.

NOW, should I order a new third member? 

Axles and pinion have no apparent vertical play only slight "in and out play" on the drivers side rear wheel.  Yea, I know I need to pull the third and look at it.....  Kinda have a slight health problem and may be sidelined for a few months.

Thanks in advance!

Old Man from FL

Old Man from FL [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Rearend-Driveline noise, & Problems
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
The gear oil came out looking like metal flake paint.  Strangely, very little was stuck to the magnet on the drain plug but lots of fine filings floating in the oil.    I guess I'll start looking for a new third member.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Rearend-Driveline noise, & Problems
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
Sounds like a loose pinion to me, you will note scaring on the carrier from the pinion that's your shavings. In rebuilding or replacing the 3rd get a crush sleeve eliminator kit and that will fix that from happening again.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you