Author Topic: Help me diagnose driveline noise  (Read 15013 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Help me diagnose driveline noise
« on: Jun 17, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
This has been happening more and more frequently lately. Especially when I first start driving the truck, I can hear kind of a rattely noise from towards the back (although it's hard to tell). Often when I shift, I hear a popping noise. So if I'm accelerating, and shift from 1st to 2nd, I'll hear a pop.

When I notice it most is when I'm driving along around 2500-3000 rpms, and it gets a little worse sometimes when I let off the gas slightly. I notice it in 3rd, but mostly 1st and 2nd, driving slow up around the rpm range I mentioned, but I probably notice it more then just because there's less road noise. What do you think? Bearing in the rear diff? D-shaft? I didn't notice any play in my rear d-shaft and it's lubed. The rear diff pinion seal is not leaking. I got underneath and shook the exhaust and other stuff I could think of to see if that's what was rattling, but I couldn't find anything loose.

Any ideas? Seems to be getting worse.
Zach
I like Yotatech

BrotherGrim

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • NorCal4Wheelers
Re: Help me diagnose driveline noise
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
Sound like U-joints going. Go under and see if you have any lateral movement. :twocents:
Proud member of Cal4Wheel, BRC, UFWDA, FOTR, and SEMA Action Network.
One of the founding members of NorCal4Wheelers.
Custom '89' 4 door truck, 36's, daul cases, ARB F/R, bla...,bla....,bla
'KI6ZFZ'

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »
Check the nut that secures the rear t-case flange to the driveline too. Sometimes it will work itself loose over time. This happened to me. I tightened it up and all was good. Heres hoping....
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
Rear d-shaft seems tight. I do have a leak at the rear t-case output. Or at least I did...seems to have gone away but I know leaks don't fix themselves, so...fluid level is fine though, I checked.

Ok thanks, I'll check some more stuff out.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »
Crawl underneath and grab your drive line and rock it back and forth in your hand.
I like to Drive!

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
Mine was making a similar noise as yours, I shook the driveline in place and it didn't seem loose but after taking it off and putting it in a vise I discovered the front u-joint on the rear driveline was toast so changed both front and rear joints, no more noise.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »
do you have a locker in the rear?
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »
Ok great, thanks, I'll take a closer look at the rear d-shaft. It really has been my first thought all along, but it just seems solid. I'll make sure.

No, no locker in the back. I guess I should mention this is an '83. Rebuilt engine & L52HD, but the t-case & 3rd members are still the originals.
Zach
I like Yotatech

DFWFO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
its sounds like your bearing on your pinion is out, lay under you pile and see if there is any play going into your rear end, if there is any play, thats your problem, you really have to give it some elbow grease

When you let of the gas you feel that vibration the most?
All Im lacking is a flux capacitor and the ability to hit 88.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
Maybe someone put pop corn in your tranny.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »
Maybe someone put pop corn in your tranny.

That's what my "new rebuilt" L52HD sounds like. I'm waiting for my 3rd one......
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
I hate it when the Gremlins put pop corn in my tranny. It so hard to get out.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2009, 06:29:30 AM »
Yeah, don't think it's my tranny! I'm guessing it's the rear d-shaft or rear diff. I'm going to spend some time under my truck this weekend and hopefully I can figure it out. Not sure that there's any noticeable vibration going along with the noise.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Ghtoyrunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 117
  • Member since Nov '08
  • runna
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »
I'm having a similar noise in my drive line as well. it happens the most when i turn or am off the gas. also in 3rd about 2500 rpm its pretty bad. I'm in the middle of doing dual t-cases now. I'm going to put new u joints in the drive shaft and see if that helps. 
When in doubt throttle out!

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2009, 09:29:39 AM »
At one time this is what happend to me besides the other issue on a previous post of mine. http://www.gearinstalls.com/rob2.htm

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2009, 10:30:54 PM »
Any vibrations w/the noise?
Does it sound like someone is smacking the drive line w/a wrench when you take-off/back-up from a stop?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2009, 06:48:23 AM »
No noticeable vibration. Sometimes there is a little "ping!" when I first let the clutch out.

Never found the time to check things out over the weekend...hopefully this week.
Zach
I like Yotatech

DFWFO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »
take 30sec before you get in you truck next time, don't drive it till you know what the issue is, no tools are needed, just lay under the rig and grab drive shaft and shake it around, find out where there is play, it takes 30sec!!!!

It may be the pinion nut, drop your drive shaft, make sure the nut is tight, but don't turn it!! you may over crush the crush sleeve, there is a notch in the pinion shaft if the nut notch is aligned then your good, the only thing left to check is u-joint, mine pops/pings also, thats prob my u-joint    :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
All Im lacking is a flux capacitor and the ability to hit 88.

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 23, 2009, 06:20:56 AM »
No I'm not being that lazy.  :therethere:
I've been under there and shook it around and there isn't play, but I figured I could really shake it around all directions one more time to make sure. I have a rear t-case output leak, so I've been to that pinion nut (cannot get the damn thing off but I finally built a breaker bar that should get it), and I know it's not loose, believe me. Haven't checked the diff side nut, though.

Actually, on my '83, there is no crush sleeve. There's just a spacer, and you can overtighten it without hurting anything. I think they switched to the crush set up in '84. So unless somebody's been in there already and put newer parts in, I should be ok. Ran into that with my front diff pinion seal when I replace it and was worried I overtightened, but learned that the 1st gens have a different set up and nothing to crush.

I'll get under there tonight and shake the driveshaft with a bit more enthusiasm than I did last time, just to make sure, and hopefully drop it, too, and check the rear diff pinion nut.

Thanks again!
Zach
I like Yotatech

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 23, 2009, 08:09:28 AM »
I may be way off but on my 83 the spring thingy that keeps the front brake pads from rattleing are gone and I get a similar noise (but no vibration) that sounds like it is the driveshaft, kind of like the "tink" of popcorn in a metal pot.  It started real faint and as the pads wore got progressivly worse, I was under the truck doing the same thing you are doing until I had a buddy drive it up and down my street while I walked beside it.  You may want to try that.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 23, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »
These toys can be like life "a box of cho-co-lates, you never know what your gonna get"

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2009, 08:47:44 AM »
Interesting, I'll check that out.

Yeah, my truck is 26 years old, so even though a lot of it is rebuilt, there's a lot of weird stuff that's starts happening once they get this old. 
Zach
I like Yotatech

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2009, 08:23:47 PM »
The ping is usually an early warning of u-joints needing to be replaced.  Next time you drive it, try and see if you feel any vibrations coming through the seat when you back off the throttle.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 24, 2009, 06:22:01 AM »
Ok, I'll do that. There may be a little when I let off the gas. The truck is pretty smooth, but not so smooth that I would definitely notice a small amount of vibration unless I was really feeling for it, so I'll pay more attention. I climbed under yesterday and shook the d-shaft but didn't spend too much time...got caught up getting my mudflaps on & starting to finally add power steering.

How much play is acceptable in the d-shaft? I can get it to rotate a bit less than 1/4". Doesn't seem to be u-joints, though, since I see it moving at the back of the t-case and the rear diff. Is a little play there ok? Otherwise I couldn't get any more movement. I'll get some u-joints and see where that puts me.
Zach
I like Yotatech

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 24, 2009, 07:58:59 AM »
If your truck is a long bed i believe that it has a two piece rear driveline... and if so the first thing i would check would be the carrier bearing.... those things suck ass
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 24, 2009, 09:02:36 AM »
Yeah that's what I've heard and luckily I have a short bed. So Marlin only sells 84-95 U-joints? Guess I'll have to go through the dealership.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 24, 2009, 11:33:05 AM »
The rotational movement is about right, the movement you are looking for is up/down and side-to-side movement.

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 24, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
Ok good. I couldn't get it to move up & down or side to side. Somebody mentioned a bearing in the rear diff? I guess it's part of the diff but right up near where the d-shaft attaches? I've never been inside there before so I don't know...

Once I figure out what I need for u-joints I'll try that and go from there. JC Whitney is the only place I've really checked, but there are a ton of options...talks about "rear shaft at rear axle w/2 joints"...Ok, so that's the very rear joint at the rear diff, but "2 joints"? Another option is 3 joints. Do they mean for a d-shaft with 2 or 3 u-joints, or are they referring to the u-joint itself having 2 or 3 joints? Sorry I've never torn into my u-joints before.
Zach
I like Yotatech

wingdaddy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 24, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »
I've owned my '81 since new. Every time I had that pinging noise, it was u-joints. First time I let it go too long. Ended up having to replace pinion bearing.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 24, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
Some are two peice and some are CV, if yours is stock like mine(83 short bed) you have a 2 joint rear driveshaft. I don't know if you have a driveline shop near you but I had my rear shaft balanced and two new joints installed for $80. Just a balance was $45 and it made a world of difference on my DD. It only took them a day and I just used front wheel drive until I got it back.