Author Topic: Toyota vs. One Ton Axle Setup what 's your opinion?  (Read 14519 times)

lostbuckaroo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Toyota vs. One Ton Axle Setup what 's your opinion?
« on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
Hey guys I'm sure this has been talked about to death but, being relatively new I wanted more opinions.

I'm planning a new build on a 93 4runner... The runner will be linked all the way around, coil overs, etc. I plan on keeping it road worthy, and registered although it won't be a daily driver. I know i wlil build custom bumpers, and possibly a full exo or some sort of exo/internal roll cage combo.. I'm still debating on tire size, and I'm leaning toward doing a 3.4 engine swap. Will also being doing full hydro or hydro assist from PSC

Now to the questions.

I currently have an 84' Truck with 5.29's, wider 4runner axle , spooled rear, spartan and RCV's up front, high steer,  Stock Knuckles and everything outward is stock.
I also have a new Ruff stuff housing which I had planned on using in the 84' but I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet due to the new 4runner project.

Given all that's said above - Would you stick with the toyota axles or would you go with tons on the runner?

I'm planning on a slower build on the 4runner.. so I will be wheeling the 84 till it's done.
Thanks in advance.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
What type of wheeler are you, skill and finesse, or throttle jockey?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm definitely not a throttle jockey.... I will use the throttle if necessary but I'd rather pic lines carefully and crawl..

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I would go with tons man. They look so good with the full widths. Kinda like a preymantice hope I spelled that right  :hammerhead:. Both are just as expensive to build. Why not go bigger. You might kick yourself in the  :moon: Later if you change your mind......just my  :twocents:.
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Do tons on the runner.
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
ive owned both setups under a runner, and ill say if its gonna be more of a trail rig, do tons, but be prepared to spend some coin on them, having a built set if toyota axles will also be just as strong as a stock set of tons.

if youre on tons too you might as well go 40" and above tires to make use of them.  :twocents:
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
having a built set if toyota axles will also be just as strong as a stock set of tons.

100% do not agree with this statement.  You still have a weak 8" diff, and if you are going to compare strength, it isn't even comparable if you put chromo shafts in the one tons.  Sure one tons are a big chunk of change to build, but on the flip side if you build them right the first time then it will be the last axles you build. 

I had built toyota axles.  The only thing i ever broke were trunion bearings, and the differentials.   Most of you know my luck with toyota diffs and that was the reason i ditched the toyota axles.  Not sure why i broke so many ring and pinions.  It could have been from improper setup since a lot of those were bought already setup. It could have been the fact that i had a 3.4L swapped second gen 4runner  that was heavy and i also ran 36-39.5" tires on it all the time.  I know it was a lot of stress running 37" toyos on the road everyday since it was my daily driver, and yes i did drive like a jackass with too much throttle.   

With that said, i sold off all my toyota axle parts, and now have a dana 60 front/14 bolt rear.  They are geared to 5.38s (compared to 5.29 toy diffs) and i think i can tell a difference with having one tons, it feels slower to me, honest.  However, there was quite some time passed between driving with toyota axles to driving with tons so my memory is probably not too great, but i do feel like i can tell a difference with excess weight.  It is still drive able though, don't get me wrong.  I haven't really wheeled it since i put the tons in so i can't really comment on much in that aspect, but as far as having ton's, my tires stick out a bunch more which is a total cop magnet now.  I don't even drive it cause i don't feel like getting any more fix it tickets (i had mud flaps on last time i got pulled over, but CHP said i needed flares as well).  But

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thank you for your opinions guys. I just want to plan this build out right and have no serious regrets.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
I'm definitely not a throttle jockey.... I will use the throttle if necessary but I'd rather pic lines carefully and crawl..
Then you should be fine with built stock axles, a buddy had basically your same build plans with this 3rd gen Runner. 

After that Runner he went to a Rover on portals w/40's, then to an '87 x-cab on full widths running 42's.  After selling the '87, he said he would never go that route again, said tires that big took all the fun out of wheeling, plans to build another 3rd gen Runner, or 2nd gen and do a 3.4 swap.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I'll just share how I am planning to solve this problem. For a front axle I am going to have a diamond housing built with 9.5" diffs and FJ-80 outers it will be narrowed to stock width so that it can still maintain daily driver duty. The rear axle will be a narrowed and centered FJ-80 full float Diamond housing.  :twocents:
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wow a full set of diamond axles especially with fj80 high steer is gonna cost some major $$$$. I have that front rough stuff housing which would be plenty strong, I guess the major weakness being the 8" 3rd.

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Then you should be fine with built stock axles, a buddy had basically your same build plans with this 3rd gen Runner. 

After that Runner he went to a Rover on portals w/40's, then to an '87 x-cab on full widths running 42's.  After selling the '87, he said he would never go that route again, said tires that big took all the fun out of wheeling, plans to build another 3rd gen Runner, or 2nd gen and do a 3.4 swap.

That's a sweet lookin rig! I can see where 40's on full widths can make it much easier to just go over stuff. I've got a buddy with an 81 toyota truggy on tons and 40's and he makes :pokinit: look easy..although there are some areas where his width doesn't help.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
You just have to decide what your goals are with the rig.  I had so much fun when i first got my stock runner. Thats why i built it because i got hooked.  I kepted upgrading because i wanted to go further and to harder places and i wanted a badass rig.  I had a lot of fun on toyota axles and i thought my rig wheeled really well for what it was.  I just personally couldnt keep toyota diffs together.  I got tired of swapping third members out so i went the one ton route.  After i got a new daily driver though it seemed my toyota thirds lasted a lot longer though because i wasnt driving it near as much.

I think it just all comes down to how you drive and your luck.  Lol.  Thomas on here has 42" iroks on toyota axles and i think he has only broken one ring and pinnion, but thats just his wheeler so it doesnt see much road time.  I also know plenty of people on 39.5"s on toy axles and they dont have problems like i ever did.  If i didn't blow out so many diffs i would have never went to one tons.

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You just have to decide what your goals are with the rig.  I had so much fun when i first got my stock runner. Thats why i built it because i got hooked.  I kepted upgrading because i wanted to go further and to harder places and i wanted a badass rig.  I had a lot of fun on toyota axles and i thought my rig wheeled really well for what it was.  I just personally couldnt keep toyota diffs together.  I got tired of swapping third members out so i went the one ton route.  After i got a new daily driver though it seemed my toyota thirds lasted a lot longer though because i wasnt driving it near as much.

I think it just all comes down to how you drive and your luck.  Lol.  Thomas on here has 42" iroks on toyota axles and i think he has only broken one ring and pinnion, but thats just his wheeler so it doesnt see much road time.  I also know plenty of people on 39.5"s on toy axles and they dont have problems like i ever did.  If i didn't blow out so many diffs i would have never went to one tons.

Thanks for the info/opinion.. I was reading through your build thread did you ever get it finished with the Tons?? If so how much have you wheeled it?

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Its driveable but i havent really wheeled it.  ive litterally put 550 miles on it driving on the street.  Maybe one mile in 4wd offroad Lol So basically the rear end is just broken in.  i need to fix my front suspension because i had to set bumpstops so stupid in order to stop my steering from hitting my frame. 

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yeah mines not gonna be a daily driver but I want to keep it SMOG/Street Legal.. mostly for Sale-ability/Resale Value..

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
I think alot of people want tons because they like how they look, or they have heard how strong they are.  They have their advantages but in the end, neither is perfect.  Toyota axles have alot of downsides, so do one tons.  You just have to decide what you want, vs need.  One tons built right to whatever width you choose would be ideal.  But then you have more money in axles than your whole truck is worth.  Driving style, tire size, and budget.  Those determine your axle choice. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

4runner17

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 315
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
Most people I know broke t case parts after tons.. Always a weaker link. Depends on drive style also

boomtacoma01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
I got tired of busting up 8in ring and pinions. I wish I would have built tons right off the bat. I'm doing that now. If you build them right it's a no brainier on overall strength. Built Toyota axles are strong but the 8in diff has always been my weak point. When I upgrade my engine down the road, an atlas and an auto tranny will be going into my 85. I will have a fairly small investment after I sell my built Toy axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
85 Ext Cab 22RE, 3 Linked front D60, 14B, Full Hydro and 40s
IG @boomtacoma01