Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 321978 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #630 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »
Moab seats?  Like for the trailer ride?

Yeah the trailer is likely not happening now. Had a falling out with him. He told me to go F$%& myself two Sundays ago....The NFL: coming between friends and family for 95 years.  :talkingn:

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »
Yeah the trailer is likely not happening now. Had a falling out with him. He told me to go F$%& myself two Sundays ago....The NFL: coming between friends and family for 95 years.  :talkingn:

That's a bummer, especially over something like football.  I'm a Packer fan and have been since I was a kid (even though I grew up in Colorado watching the Broncos) and my wife's family are pretty much all Bears fans.  Her dad and sister do also root for the Seahawks which I hassled them about until I realized that they have been Seahawks fans longer than the majority of the bandwagon inflated fan base.  I'm glad most of the bandwagon fans have fallen off the trail and we're mostly back to knowing who the actual Seahawk football fans are.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
you're better off anyway. have you done the calculations on gas costs to tow that far. i used to tow to moab and it was costing me $800 in gas towing my 4runner with my landcruiser. that's when and what made me decide to do the 3rz swap. I tried driving out there once with the 22re and it sucked. it did not like all of the inclines. with the 3rz, no problem and i averaged 17mpg. i probably got 8mpg towing if i was lucky

I don't really mind the trip with my 22RE and get in the 15-17 mpg range.  I've always gotten closer to 17 mpg, but it was down on the trip last March for some reason.  I plan for about $500 in fuel for the trip running premium (it likes it for some reason).  If I towed with my Sequoia I would probably get closer to 10 mph (I have never towed anything that heavy with it) plus I'd have to rent a trailer.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
you're better off anyway. have you done the calculations on gas costs to tow that far. i used to tow to moab and it was costing me $800 in gas towing my 4runner with my landcruiser. that's when and what made me decide to do the 3rz swap. I tried driving out there once with the 22re and it sucked. it did not like all of the inclines. with the 3rz, no problem and i averaged 17mpg. i probably got 8mpg towing if i was lucky

Thats because you were towing with a land cruiser dude... Besides gas is cheap right now  :yupyup:

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »
That's a bummer, especially over something like football.  I'm a Packer fan and have been since I was a kid (even though I grew up in Colorado watching the Broncos) and my wife's family are pretty much all Bears fans.  Her dad and sister do also root for the Seahawks which I hassled them about until I realized that they have been Seahawks fans longer than the majority of the bandwagon inflated fan base.  I'm glad most of the bandwagon fans have fallen off the trail and we're mostly back to knowing who the actual Seahawk football fans are.

You can't really knock anyone for being bandwagon when you are a packer fan who has never lived in Green Bay  :headshake:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:12:47 PM »
You can't really knock anyone for being bandwagon when you are a packer fan who has never lived in Green Bay  :headshake:

I define a bandwagon fan as someone that that becomes a loud overzealous fan when their team become good after never caring before.  Every great team has them so they are a sign of success.  The Seahawks just happen to be a recent/current example.  The year they lost the playoff game in Atlanta the fan base started rapidly expanding.  Every Friday/Monday during the next season I rode the foot ferry that was full of Seahawks gear and people talking about the game.  It just kept getting bigger every week until they won the SB.   For the most part it continued the next year, but the level of excitement had dropped off.  After losing the SB last year and losing the first two games of this season you couldn't tell if the season had started or not based on the ferry ride.  There was almost no Seahawks gear and no football talk.  Keep in mind it's pretty much the same people year in and year out (we're a bunch of lemmings).  Things are still pretty quiet.  Meanwhile, the real fans are still being real fans.

My favorite Seahawk "fan" ever was a lady that I overheard telling someone in the grocery store that she thought the SB would be Seattle and Green Bay...clearly a lifelong football fan!  It was all I could do to keep walking, partly because I wanted to say something and partly because I wanted to fall down laughing.

I started rooting for the Packers in the pre-Favre era when they were not a great team.  The local Broncos were a much better team at the time.  I had a friend that was a Bronco/Viking/49er fan depending on which team was doing the best, drove me crazy...

Back to the regularly scheduled programming...

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
I define a bandwagon fan as someone that that becomes a loud overzealous fan when their team become good after never caring before.  Every great team has them so they are a sign of success.  The Seahawks just happen to be a recent/current example.  The year they lost the playoff game in Atlanta the fan base started rapidly expanding.  Every Friday/Monday during the next season I rode the foot ferry that was full of Seahawks gear and people talking about the game.  It just kept getting bigger every week until they won the SB.   For the most part it continued the next year, but the level of excitement had dropped off.  After losing the SB last year and losing the first two games of this season you couldn't tell if the season had started or not based on the ferry ride.  There was almost no Seahawks gear and no football talk.  Keep in mind it's pretty much the same people year in and year out (we're a bunch of lemmings).  Things are still pretty quiet.  Meanwhile, the real fans are still being real fans.

My favorite Seahawk "fan" ever was a lady that I overheard telling someone in the grocery store that she thought the SB would be Seattle and Green Bay...clearly a lifelong football fan!  It was all I could do to keep walking, partly because I wanted to say something and partly because I wanted to fall down laughing.

I started rooting for the Packers in the pre-Favre era when they were not a great team.  The local Broncos were a much better team at the time.  I had a friend that was a Bronco/Viking/49er fan depending on which team was doing the best, drove me crazy...

Back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Uhhh huhhh sure. Pre-Favre era. I almost believe you  ;) No you are right there definitely is a bandwagon Seahawk craze going on. I've been a fan from the crib and will be to the coffin. One of the very first pictures of me in this world is my dad wearing a Largent jersey holding me wrapped in a Seahawks blanket.

Thats hilarious about the Packers and the Seahawks in the super bowl. I had a good laugh at that one  :hahaha:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #637 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:37:57 PM »
Life long Rams fan here! I for one can't stand the bandwagoners.

Ok, back on topic! 

Not sure when you were going to need a trailer, or if you still do, but I have one and a tow rig............
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:42:26 PM »
Life long Rams fan here! I for one can't stand the bandwagoners.

Ok, back on topic! 

Not sure when you were going to need a trailer, or if you still do, but I have one and a tow rig............

Yeah yeah I see you and your Rams posts on Facebook all the time :nope:

That is awfully generous of you to offer. I am looking to tow for the Moab trip in April.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #639 on: Nov 06, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »
That is awfully generous of you to offer. I am looking to tow for the Moab trip in April.

I can't commit that far in advance since I don't even know what I'll be doing in April.

Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: Nov 06, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
Uhhh huhhh sure. Pre-Favre era. I almost believe you  ;) No you are right there definitely is a bandwagon Seahawk craze going on. I've been a fan from the crib and will be to the coffin. One of the very first pictures of me in this world is my dad wearing a Largent jersey holding me wrapped in a Seahawks blanket.

Thats hilarious about the Packers and the Seahawks in the super bowl. I had a good laugh at that one  :hahaha:

I don't know where my football card collection is anymore, but I had a Favre rookie card from his days in Atlanta and I sent a card to Don Majkowski for him to sign. It was his 1989 card.  It pretty much started with he and Stirling Sharpe.  I think there is still a 1990 team poster in my room at my parents house.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: Nov 11, 2015, 07:03:27 AM »
Found a waterproofing solution that I think will be a better choice than RTV (sorry mike  :beerchug: ) for my E-Locker plugs

http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-SL57589-Liquid-Electrical/dp/B007PKBCAA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446834261&sr=8-2&keywords=liquid+electrical+tape

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #642 on: Nov 11, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
That stuff works great. I've been using it for years.
Time to go wheelin!

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #643 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Sorry but I have too since we are finally good again RAIDER NATION!

Anyway just drive her there your have a 3rz.
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »
Sorry but I have too since we are finally good again RAIDER NATION!

Anyway just drive her there your have a 3rz.

Yeah you guys are looking good for sure.

The drive to and from California was taxing on me to say the least. Yes it has a 3rz however my truck is loud as hell and I'm too big of a guy for 80s Toyotas. I just suck it up and hunch over because I love them. Its not a big deal when I am not in the truck for that long but 16 hours of driving sucks in it.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #645 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »
Time to get a cummins...
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »
Time to get a cummins...

Not in the cards. My next big purchase is going to be a house and even it is a ways out. If I can't bum the tow rig from the father in law then I'll just suck it up and drive it.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #647 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »
If I can't bum the tow rig from the father in law then I'll just suck it up and drive it.

My offer is still open. I can tow if I can bum a ride with you on the trails.
Time to go wheelin!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #648 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:46:06 AM »
Ugh, house... as much as I like having my own house I wish I still lived at my parents place. I could afford to do fun stuff then.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »
Ugh, house... as much as I like having my own house I wish I still lived at my parents place. I could afford to do fun stuff then.

I heard that. I look at a lot of these kids living at their parents house into their late 20s and just shake my head. Must be nice.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »
My offer is still open. I can tow if I can bum a ride with you on the trails.

Sounds like a plan. You wouldn't want to bring your truck?

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #651 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:52:39 AM »
Sounds like a plan. You wouldn't want to bring your truck?

Not sure if it'll have a enough time to have the bugs worked out by then. It's close to running now, but I have other issues + I'm going to Hawaii during the Boeing break.
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
Not sure if it'll have a enough time to have the bugs worked out by then. It's close to running now, but I have other issues + I'm going to Hawaii during the Boeing break.

Fair enough. Well you can ride with me whether or not I need to use the tow rig. I have a seat in the truck and its yours until you tell me you don't want it anymore.

I swear that the company should just rent out that whole damn island during the break. So many of us go there during it.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #653 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:59:31 AM »
Well you can ride with me whether or not I need to use the tow rig. I have a seat in the truck and its yours until you tell me you don't want it anymore.

I'm in!
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: Nov 11, 2015, 11:02:03 AM »
I'm in!

K I'll reach out to you on Facebook with more information.

catpirate911

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: Nov 11, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »
H
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2015, 04:42:16 PM by catpirate911 »

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #656 on: Nov 11, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
Yea That makes sense man you are pretty tall
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: Nov 11, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
I'm in!

Having a passenger in Moab is a huge benefit.  It's more fun, but sometimes you just need eyes on that side of the truck.  I often ask my passenger to confirm that I'm not about to drive their side off a cliff!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: Nov 29, 2015, 05:40:43 PM »
So my crawl box's bad gears have gotten worse and worse. Especially when coasting. Gonna try and source a replacement and swap it in.  :dunno: Was originally considering rebuilding it but I can find transfer cases for $100 or less and the rebuild kit from Marlin is over $300.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #659 on: Nov 29, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
We have a few local bearing shops and they carry koyo bearings just like the oem at a fraction of the cost. You can't find one close to you?
06 tacoma street truck