Author Topic: Just bought a first gen- pics and question  (Read 4647 times)

toyotafever

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just bought a first gen- pics and question
« on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:38:44 PM »
hey im new to the forum, but not new to yotas, i also own a 87 sr5-22re on 31s, but motor needs a rebuild and i need something to drive while i do that.

So earlier this week i bought a 81 pickup with a rebuilt 22r. i think the carb needs a clean.. but i dont have a air compresser at home and havnt swapped my insurance yet, there is also a few vacuum hoses plugged, one i think should go to a switch which isnt there then to the intake- been looking at the diagram in hayes manual, cant make sence of the other.
 it has flooded abuncha times at the bottom of a hills on me, then its really hard to get started... 20 minuits and a jump later i got it running...
and is also really hard to start in the morning, will usualy fire first try with a couple of pumps on the gas, but if i let it die ( it usualy does) then it is reallly hard to get started again.. and when i bought it it would die when i breaked, the guy said he couldnt get it so it stays running in morning but i easily did.. well it stays running sometimes dies sometimes... im not sure, hense why im posting here.

... okay i have pictures if someone can tell me how to post pictures here....
thanks

and wtf is the answer wanted for verification:  what are your bumpers made out of... i tried everthing logical i could think of...

Slowdave777

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought a first gen- pics and question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »
Check for vacuum leaks, while running spray starter fluid all around any possible leak areas, carb base, etc, Especially check the intake manifold gasket area, I have an 83 that had similar issues and it turns out the intake manifold gasket was leaking when up to running temp. Drove me nuts! If its dying when you hit the brakes its probably the brake booster sucking air. Im new here too but if you read, you will see that you need 11 posts before you can put up pics, list on classifieds etc, Let me know what you find. Dave.

Slowdave777

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
uh, bumper are made of steel :gap:

monyman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
 :welcome: I think you'll find mostly respectful, helpful folks on here. Getting past the first posts can be a drag tho. Keep at it, it's a good community. :twocents:
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, Diamond axles, 5.29s, duals, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:09:36 PM »
thanks for the feedback, will try starter fluid tommorow, and will clean the carb. ill let yall know what happens, im eager to swap my insurance and get this truck running reliably,

the other things are one of the spark plugs (#4 cylinder) wont thread in all the way, and by the looks of the cobwebs over the crush washer( crush washer was loose) its been like that for a while...

and even though this motor was " rebuilt" i want to check the valve clearances- im tempted to pull the head and replace the studs with new ones( as some on intake and exaust are missing..) and replace head gasket with a oem toyota one, new plugs, etc, throw on headers and a weber carb while im at it, it seems like it was rebuilt- just kinda half ass

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
It may have an insert on that plug or may need one. The #4 is the worst for cross threading or pulling out the threads.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:54:45 AM »
thats what i was thinking, as i have almost cross threaded #4 on my 22re before, there a pregnant dog! ill figure it out next time the motors out..  im thinking i mayaswell do a compression test tommorow, guy i bought it off said 170 each cylinder, so well see.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
You'll love the 1st gen when you get the bugs worked out...  I picked up an '80 lonbed a few years back and it is my favorite Toyota by far! Post up some pics of it when you can.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:15:41 PM »
You'll have to give us photos once you can.  And if you plan on crawling with your rig, most people find the factory Toyota carb works better.  But a good old Weber does wonders just in daily driving, on hwy or gravel.  But check your local area, cause if you have to DEQ/Smog, they won't like the Weber. 

There are some people on here that have gotten a Weber to work in off camber situations.  And I miss my Weber I had on my old Nissan.  It was a screamer, and doubled my gas mileage, and increased my power!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
yes ill upload pics asoon as i have 11 posts, and i havnt heard that... i hear all bad things about stock toyota carbs.. and good about weber.

my carb wont idle less then 2500, and u cant adjust air/fuel mixture, nor can i take it apart due to FUCKED bolt heads...
i plan to crawl yes, this will be my 4x4, my 87 is my DD. i am confused why i couldnt crawl at a idle with a weber carb tuned right....
either way with my idle stuck at 2500- so im not doing any sort of crawling untell i get a new carb anyway :/

the weber would be good for me, as i can actualy dissamble and clean it/ and its in my price range, a remanufactured stock carb is nott in my price range.

if i buy a weber im getting a single or dual plane intake manifold aswell, would a duel plane intake manifold make a diffrence crawling? or should i buy the single plane for mid/top end ?

thanks for all the help, ps took the beast for a 4x4 yesterday, had a ear to ear grin the whole time, i am defantly in love!!

chandogg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Steady as she goes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
Welcome to the family

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:56:03 PM »
.. guess im getting a duel plane intake and a weber 32/36?  :)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
I hate my weber and have never had good experience with them, and after 14 years of running it I finally gave up and bought an adapter to run a stock 22r carb on my 20r intake.  They are given far too much credit and are picky, finicky bitches!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
Try this thread for used parts.  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39620.msg1042965;topicseen#new 
Or post up in the "Wanted" section.  Hit up Tgmaul88 on here, I've gotten some really good deals from him.

I agree Nate, they are picky little bastards.  It took me over 6 years to finally get mine dialed in.  And I still had to mess with the choke set point in the spring and fall.  Once in a a while, my idle screw would back out.  But locktite took care of that.  I miss the power that it had.  Way more than my 22RE has!  And it loved long steep climbs on the road.  When I would go over the pass, I'd down shift, and give it gas, and it would slowly start to climb rpm's, and keep going till I had to back out of the throttle.  That's what I miss about carbs vs. EFI.  Give it skinny, and let it go!! 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »
I ran a Weber on my 85 truck, always bogged down when I was in the rockgardens. Was great for power but I never liked it when offroad.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
I got comparable power with the 22r carb and it always worked right  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »
My engine was built so I needed the larger carb, finally had to throw on some Mikuni side drafts to make it work but can you say $$$ for those.

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »
AHHHHH, so i shouldnt get the weber you are all saying.... what should i do about my non rebuildable- non adjustable-idling at 2500 all the time- useless stock carb then.....

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »
I rebuilt a stock carb it wasn't that bad.  Just make youself a map when you take it apart. It's nice to buy a used spare stock carb as reference too...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
My old man has owned 22r's for Thierty years; when I mentioned a weber carb he laughed at me. Rebuild a stock carb, much more reliable. You may not have the slight power gain you would get with a weber, but we don't  need hp, gear your axles / run duals and there are no power issues, just on the road.

And the incline issue is very real and happens to every weber carb.

My 2 cents, ill never run a weber

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
i have no idea how to rebuild stock carb, me and my buddy tried and couldnt get it apart cuz of stripped bolt down inside the carb, it idles at 2 grand ish and the idle screw doesnt do anything, and sometimes it wont idle... if i let it die it wont start back up immediatly unless i have someone mess with the carb, or let it sit for a few minuits.... auto parts store quoted me 800 bucks for a rebuilt stock carb.. i dont know what to even do now if i shouldnt buy a weber...

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
Well unfortunately that's what we get using 30 year old trucks  :smokin:

I don't know who you are going to hopefully not oriley's shady  :moon: I just checked rockauto, reman us emission carb is $395. What I would do is go to the junk yard, pull a carb and rebuild that one, and then your old carb is perfect for spare parts and a map. And get a fsm it will help, helps me

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
That is a really good idea, there is a couple junkyards near me that should have a carb, i will call them tommorow and call the auto parts store about a rebuild kit, and its a good local auto store, they give me good deals, the guy i was talking to said he didnt even like selling the remanufactured carbs.
and by fsm do u mean factory service manual? where would i get that?

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/#res

http://www.yotatech.com/f128/toyota-factory-service-manuals-fsm-all-years-156128/
Use the Way Back Machine at the top of the page to get the FSM links you want to download for free.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100824000604/http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

This one has a link to buy the actual FSM from Toyota Dist. Center.  Well worth the $140+ for it.  Year specific.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/FSM.shtml

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »
great, thanks!, my question with the weber to anyone with experience with it, what were the drawbacks 4x4ing? if i do the mod so it wont flood on hills  and have it tuned well? i may get a dual plane intake if i decide to get a weber.

my main concerns with stock carb is my fast idle lingake seems messed- hard to explain, - i dont even really wanna mess with it... and how there is only one idle screw when haynes manual shows idle speed and mixture, it wont adjust the idle at all, and how hard it seems to tune
- where as the pros with weber for me is i could buy a intake and bolt it all up and i have a pretty good idea how to get it tuned up and a freind that has some experiance finicking with carbs, he tried to help me fix it the stock carb and we cleaned it out but couldnt really get it apart, didnt make any diffrence.
i just have no idea where to start with the fast idle bs even with haynes manual infront of me...

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:49:21 AM »
Bump for 11th post! will upload some pictures later on,

What are the actual draw backs 4x4ing with weber, with fuel psi set to 2, carb overflow mod done, and float lowerd a tiny bit?

Keep in mind i do have a 87 SR5 with a 22re (efi ofcourse) so if i ever run into anything the carb cant handle, can always come back in efi truck.

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
I just spoke with my old man, he was saying if the carb is not running right you are best off rebuilding it, not playing with the screws in the passenger side. If its not idleing or running proper its a clog or issue in the carb not a mixture adjustment. He made it sound like they were very easy to work on, but hes a mechanical engineer so whatever. I don't have the rebuild info cause he gave me a carb he rebuilt years,ago for passing smog

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:53:32 PM »
Contact these guys on here, and see what a used carb shipped to you would be.

"Try this thread for used parts.  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39620.msg1042965;topicseen#new
Or post up in the "Wanted" section.  Hit up Tgmaul88 on here, I've gotten some really good deals from him."

Especially, if you say it looks like its been monkeyed with.  What I would do is put on the used carb.  And see what happens.  And if it's still goofy, take it to somebody that is willing to take a look.  I've rebuilt carbs, and having no idea what I was doing, its fairly easy, if you pay attention to what your doing, and label stuff, and where they came from.  And watch out when pulling things apart, so you don't jack the floats, and valves for the jets. 

Google "rebuilding 20R carbs" there is alot of sites with good links and info on rebuilding them. 

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
you already posted that link and i posted in the wanted thread already..  but no replies there, and unless the junkyard has a used carb for a deccent price then im just gonna order the weber, it isnt worth the $$ to rebuild the stock for me, or buy a used one i have to rebuild anyway.

espcially when lots of people have rebuilt stock carbs or had them rebuild it and have them idle the same, everyone i talk to loccaly said %$#@ the stock carb and get a weber.. which is what im doing i think, i need to DD the truck for a while when i rebuild my 22re for actual daily driver.

I think ill order the weber, do the hill climb mod, and see how i like it overall, if it really doesnt work 4x4ing then ill rebuild my stock carb, and use that for 4x4ing when i start daily driving my 87 again.

i really wanted  to hear WHY a weber is "bad" 4x4ing... with the kind of 4x4ing i do i think it will be fine..

.. i now have 12 posts and still cant post pictures.... :/

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »
cant upload pics cuz there too big.... :headscratch: