Author Topic: Radiator Question??? PICS INCLUDED!!! UPDATED 27 MAR  (Read 5901 times)

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
flex-a-lite has awesome radiators that bolt right up with electric fan packages as well. triple row, aluminum LC engineering has 3 row copper radiators. both are NOT cheap. expect to pay 3-4 bills. but its worth it. stock radiators suck.

Why do stockers suck..? Everyone I've talked to say flex-a-lights suck. With an electric fan, your not gaining enough power (from less rotating weight) to justify the price, ussually less then 1hp gain. With 3-400$ i can think of many other things that can add more power and keep your rig running like a top. But everyone has their own pinion.
Starting from scratch again...

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I think for now i am just going to go for the stock radiator.... it's holding up now, so i am not going to screw anything up..

military_stang
:respect:

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
I think for now i am just going to go for the stock radiator.... it's holding up now, so i am not going to screw anything up..

military_stang

I would have to say thats a good choice. check prices though. Most of the time a stock "performance" rad is cheaper then an oem dealer one.
Starting from scratch again...

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Really, hmm.... i am going to start looking around. But it will prolly be a while before i get one because i need to figure out if my alternator is good.. Thank you for all the awesome help...

military_stang

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
My old radiator had a few spots like that and i let em be for a while. but with time it started to leak and get coolant all over the place so i just bought a stock replacement. IMO i dont think a trick radiator is really necessary, but if you have got the money to burn why not. the flexalite packages seem pretty cool, i thought about getting one but i was strapped for cash so i just upgraded my 22re stocker to a turbo radiator which was 3 cores instead of 2. helped out a lot though and its nice not having to dump water in your rad every day to make it to work and back :P
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
With a stock truck there is no reason to spend the extra dime on an aftermarket radiator... How often to you hear of a toyota pickup overheating when the truck is in proper working order? Never. It's not a freaking V8 guys... it's a 100 horsepower 4 banger. I've got some work done in my fresh motor with original 27 year old radiator... That truck gets raped on a fairly regular basis and the temp gauge never moves. Another vote for getting stock replacement.  :twocents:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
With a stock truck there is no reason to spend the extra dime on an aftermarket radiator... How often to you hear of a toyota pickup overheating when the truck is in proper working order? Never. It's not a freaking V8 guys... it's a 100 horsepower 4 banger. I've got some work done in my fresh motor with original 27 year old radiator... That truck gets raped on a fairly regular basis and the temp gauge never moves. Another vote for getting stock replacement.  :twocents:

:psss: 'cept its a 150(?)  hp v6  :thumbs:

Add another vote for a stocker :thumbs:  I would also say to check around for a used on in good shape.  They do just fine to cool off the truck :yupyup:  Just don't skimp on the thermostat though, make sure you test it before putting it in there, and get a toyota one!
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i had an oem toyota thermostat go bad within 6 months..... i then got the dual stage toyota thermostat and havent had a problem since....

im sure more cooling capactiy, and more cores can never hurt, and i plan on running the stock v6 i beleive it is eventually on my 22r....

EDIT: jsut htought of something, my truck was in proepr working order, and it gets abused daily by me..... however, i went wheeling... mudding, and with 3.07 gears with 31s, (2wd truck) i needed to use momentum with wheelspin in order to play in the mud.... this got the truck hot, in a short amount of time.... to the point i got out of the mud, and let the truck sit for half an hour
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
:psss: 'cept its a 150(?)  hp v6  :thumbs:

Add another vote for a stocker :thumbs:  I would also say to check around for a used on in good shape.  They do just fine to cool off the truck :yupyup:  Just don't skimp on the thermostat though, make sure you test it before putting it in there, and get a toyota one!

My bad... point still stands though, because for the extra 50hp you get an extra row.  :yesnod:

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Oh no, it's not having any cooling problems, it's not leaking either. I just didn't know if this was a sign that it was going to start acting up or start leaking. I can always put stop leak in it if it does start leaking....

military_stang
dont ever use stop leak  ,,just get it checked out  ..stop leak is for emergerncy use  and even  then i think i would  walk    lol

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
I'm sorry but i have to disagree with you guys about not getting the three row, and buying a used radiator is just dumb IMO, radiators are fairly cheep and not a complicated piece to manufacture.  What's it going to hurt putting a slightly bigger radiator in the truck, if anything it will last longer being that there is more rows of cooling core and as it gets older and builds up corrosion inside it's going to take it longer to plug up. I met military stang today and he looked at the three row that is installed in the same year toyota he's got.  really it's up to him but if anything i say stay away from used or remanufactured radiators. I had a rebuilt factory toyota radiator in my runner and it lasted for about 4 years but then started getting pin holes and leaking every where, so again if you don't want to spend the extra money on a three row than just get the two row and forget about it it will last as long as your going to own the truck

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Ill be doing some more research. When i meet fearofrunner, his three row looked good... i guess it all comes down to money and research. Plus i got time, my radiator isn't doing to bad right now..

military_stang

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
I'm sorry but i have to disagree with you guys about not getting the three row

I may be a bit confused about what you are saying so take this with a grain of salt, but... he already has a three row since his truck is a V6... We're telling him to get a replacement instead of going for some aftermarket aluminum deal that cost an arm and a leg. I don't see where the disagreement is :dunno: ?

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I was looking through all my old recipets that the previous own kept, well when toyota did the engine rebuild, they also repaired the radiator, i think thats where those fills came from...

military_stang

Jeffe 81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Be carefull with NAPA radiators...at just over a year the radiator mounts broke off!
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I will prolly be waiting for a while, but i will be getting one.... i'm not going to wait for it to blow up on me and ruin my motor...

military_stang