Author Topic: Radiator Question??? PICS INCLUDED!!! UPDATED 27 MAR  (Read 5993 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Radiator Question??? PICS INCLUDED!!! UPDATED 27 MAR
« on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:34:25 AM »
Ok, i didn't really notice this untill a few days ago....

Is this a messege that i need to replace my radiator???

military_stang
:respect:
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 11:12:33 AM by military_stang »

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: Radiator Question??? PICS INCLUDED!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:45:38 AM »
I would think so, or at least take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and repaired. Probably cheaper to get a new one.

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:47:47 AM »
What is it from though???

military_stang

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:52:21 AM »
Doesn't look too bad. If your that worried and broke, take some JB to it and all will be ok. However if you have the coin performance radiators are cheap for the 3rd gen trucks. any cooling problems?
Starting from scratch again...

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:56:02 AM »
Oh no, it's not having any cooling problems, it's not leaking either. I just didn't know if this was a sign that it was going to start acting up or start leaking. I can always put stop leak in it if it does start leaking....

military_stang

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
stop leak dont stop water from leaking out of holes in the radiator. have you ever replaced the radiator, ( is it still the original stock toyota one?) if not take an overall look at the radiator. if the rows are starting to look clogged, and more spots are starting to show on there... just replace it with a new one and have peace of mind

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:16:53 AM »
It's the original from the show room floor. When i bought this truck, nothing... and i mean NOTHING (beside the oil, filter, air fliter, wiper's... then normal stuff) has been replaced, this truck is damn near 100% stock. I have done more work to this truck than the other two owner's it has had, and i have only owned it since October....

military_stang

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »
Oh no, it's not having any cooling problems, it's not leaking either. I just didn't know if this was a sign that it was going to start acting up or start leaking. I can always put stop leak in it if it does start leaking....

military_stang

I'd rather keep an egg on me then some stopleak. Like Squirrel said, if it looks all batterd just replace it. Cooling is not something you want to skimp on. replacing a radiator is alot cheaper then replacing a motor. ah the pics don't show too well but it just looks like stress marks, i have no idea where the pink is coming from.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:24:32 AM »
X2 on that. What causes that is lack of maintenace, that is why they tell you to service your cooling system and replace you anti freeze every two years.
stop leak dont stop water from leaking out of holes in the radiator. have you ever replaced the radiator, ( is it still the original stock toyota one?) if not take an overall look at the radiator. if the rows are starting to look clogged, and more spots are starting to show on there... just replace it with a new one and have peace of mind

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:26:55 AM »
How much do new radiators cost, and not the cheepy one's???

military_stang

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
I've never replaced a 3.0 rad but in my 22re it was 98$ for a new "performance" radiator. getting them at cost helps though. Im guessing somewhere around 150 or so

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »
like sacd said, average of $150 or so... possibly cheaper. when you DO change your radiator, make sure to swap out all the usual stuff like hoses, heater lines, and thermostat so those dont become an issue down the road either. (since you are there already.)

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2007, 12:11:28 PM »
Does anyone have any sights for performance aluminum rads??

military_stang

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2007, 01:00:35 PM »
we have bought in the last year a acura integra 91 yota pick up and 84 4runner radiator and these guys are where we got em.  All new and if you get the three row the truck runs nice and cool.  And they're just up in ogden on 26th street

http://www.radiator.com/
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007, 04:59:22 PM by Fearofrunner »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2007, 03:18:44 PM »
a used toyota radiator is better than most of the "new" aftermarket ones. just my two cents
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Big Bob

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Hippies suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »
Replace the radiator!!! It will be easier now than to have your rig break down on the trail

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2007, 07:05:13 PM »
One word of the wise, you can cool your rig too much so trip row aluminum wouldnt be such a good idea. Just get a good stock replacement. Toyota knew what they were doing when they built these trucks, though sometimes it doesnt seem like it.

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2007, 07:50:35 PM »
One word of the wise, you can cool your rig too much so trip row aluminum wouldnt be such a good idea. Just get a good stock replacement. Toyota knew what they were doing when they built these trucks, though sometimes it doesnt seem like it.

I highly doubt you can get the motor too cool, the thermostat is going to controle the flow until it reaches operating temperature and then will regulate the coolent as it comes out of the motor.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2007, 07:55:55 PM »
I highly doubt you can get the motor too cool,
i was thinking the same thing...i thought cooler was always better
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:25:45 PM »
I highly doubt you can get the motor too cool, the thermostat is going to controle the flow until it reaches operating temperature and then will regulate the coolent as it comes out of the motor.

Thermostats only control overheating, not underheating. The block needs a certain temp to operate at. I'll do some more research, but a few crew cheifs back in my racing days said it's a bad idea. Keeping the induction cold is good. However having cold water running through the block is not.

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »
i agree, too cold a water temp and you are likely to have certain areas of the block and head expand at diffrent rates and what not. just place a stock radiator in there and its as good as new. it made it this far, its gotta be doing something right. add a 180 stat on it and should be good to go.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:38:01 PM »
I didn't read every post above, but is it a leak that was previously repaired?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:40:05 PM »
The pics don't do it justice but i looks like someone slaped on a red JB weld looking meterial. Thats the only thing i can come up with, since its pink. :(

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2007, 01:17:38 AM »
Thermostats only control overheating, not underheating. The block needs a certain temp to operate at. I'll do some more research, but a few crew cheifs back in my racing days said it's a bad idea. Keeping the induction cold is good. However having cold water running through the block is not.

the thermostat gradually opens to the temperature at which the springs temp is  rated at. just like when you test a thermostat in a pot of boiling water, once it reaches 180 195 or what ever then the valve is completely open.  Therefore the hot water comming out of the block will only flow so fast until it reaches the temp that it fully opens.  Reason I'm arguing is that we have a 91 toyota 3.slow with the three core and it heats up just fine even in the cold ass weather we've been having.  It heats up to normal operating temperature the heater blows super hot air but yet during the summer with temperatures of over 95 degrees you can set in traffic with the air conditioner going and the temp gauge never moves.  It's worth the money IMO... :twocents:

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2007, 04:38:25 AM »
I will try and take some more pics today of the pink stuff, i just want to know what was going on.... thank you all for being so informative, and i will be looking into a three row and into stock.

military_stang

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:43:47 AM »
Here are some pics from today....

I never really noticed this, but i think it's been repaired before....

military_stang

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
the thermostat gradually opens to the temperature at which the springs temp is  rated at. just like when you test a thermostat in a pot of boiling water, once it reaches 180 195 or what ever then the valve is completely open.  Therefore the hot water comming out of the block will only flow so fast until it reaches the temp that it fully opens.  Reason I'm arguing is that we have a 91 toyota 3.slow with the three core and it heats up just fine even in the cold ass weather we've been having.  It heats up to normal operating temperature the heater blows super hot air but yet during the summer with temperatures of over 95 degrees you can set in traffic with the air conditioner going and the temp gauge never moves.  It's worth the money IMO... :twocents:

Good Post! I was just stating what i've heard and what i've seen. IMO keeping things stock are the way to go. I always seems when you get to tricky something decides to fail or blow up. thats just me though. We had a discussion in our group. your more then welcome to search and do some research. http://wattora.com/

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
Good Post! I was just stating what i've heard and what i've seen. IMO keeping things stock are the way to go. I always seems when you get to tricky something decides to fail or blow up. thats just me though. We had a discussion in our group. your more then welcome to search and do some research. http://wattora.com/

X2 on keeping it original, from now on i try to buy Japanese parts or bite the bullet and buy it from the dealer especially electrical parts.  But thanks for the good info and Military-Stang sorry if we high jacked your post but there is some usefull information here to consider and hopefully it has helped to make your decision.

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
flex-a-lite has awesome radiators that bolt right up with electric fan packages as well. triple row, aluminum LC engineering has 3 row copper radiators. both are NOT cheap. expect to pay 3-4 bills. but its worth it. stock radiators suck.
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!