Author Topic: Just bought a first gen- pics and question  (Read 4648 times)

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Just bought a first gen- pics and question
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2013, 03:15:58 PM »
I still don't suggest you use a weber, the stock toyota parts are very high quality. I just picked up some parts from a dude up in olivehurst, ca and he has his 22r just sitting on a truck that's totally done, I'm sure he would be happy to sell you his carb, ill pm you his name on pirate and you can pm him.

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »
arggg i guess i will try buying a used carb and if that doesnt work ill buy the weber... i think weber would be the easy way out, but im starting to belive stock carb is more reliable.. even though mine wont start atm...

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
Resize them on your computer then post
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Easiest way to post pictures is to go to  www.photobucket.com and create a account, and link the pictures in your post. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
Easiest way to post pictures is to go to  www.photobucket.com and create a account, and link the pictures in your post. 

This is what I do, never had any issues

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2013, 11:55:57 PM »
Use a picture hosting site like photobucket.com(it is free) to upload your pics to, then you copy and paste the image link in your post.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
bought a used carb off a 82 for 80 bucks, going to clean it  today, do some maintenance since i just bought the truck, then i am swapping my insurance !

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
Okay so i cleaned out the 82 carb, replaced air filter and fuel filter, and since i put the carb on havnt had to pump the gas to get it started. running like a top!

My only issue is it also wants to idle high, 1500-2000 grand, and the idle adjust screw isnt even touching the throttle. this wont effect me daily driveing , just nice to have a low idle  for crawling.  i havnt heard it kick off the fast idle, so im wondering if its stuck there :/

I also installed new headlights, the the drivers side one is acting like its barlly gettign any power, barly lit up both on high/low beam :/

I am also changing my oil and spark plugs, Adjusting valve clearances, checking my breaks then torquing wheel lugs.- just want to once over since i just bought it- am i missing anythin? oh and ill buy a grease gun nextweek, grease all the fittings.

REALLY curious on any input for high idle/headlights, and i will upload pics later on ( just been busy)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »
I can't help but feel like you have a vacuum leak
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
I went over all my vacuum hoses lastnight when i installed the carb, beacuse it was a little diffrent for 82 carb, the only thing i noticed is the pcv is just barly held in there ( no seal) would that affect idle?

nisota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 608
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Wonsyld/Leard Built Fab
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »
Upload to photobucket then copy & paste the link in the box thats the best way to get pictures on here. good luck 1st gen  :love:

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »
Glad it's running better, I always have had to pump a little gas to get started, in every 22r I have owned (3). But the idle screw I don't think really does anything, never has for me.

That dude I hooked you up with get ya a carb?

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
not one pump even cold in the morning, and the idle screw will turn up the idle, but the throttle is all the way back and it idles at 1500 warm ussualy. and i live pretty far away (BC) so i went to a wrecker and bought a used one, cleaned it and hooked up the vacuum lines. i want a lower idle for crawling, why would it idle high? it idles low (1000) when its cold then the idle goes up...

and today after i changed the oil and plugs the temp gauge has went up a little from where it usually sits while im driving, still not near the red zone but i am confused why, oil is at correct level, rad is full.  i noticed a little bit of oil sprayed all over the drivers side of engine bay when i pulled over to check it out.
good news is compression is 175, 180, 185, (compression tester popped out of cylinder #4-threads are kinda fucked..) what is my best bet to fix the threads when i pull the head- or should i just plan to buy a head?
distributor cap also looked burnt and nasty inside so i will be replacing that and rotor and spark plug wires tommorow.

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
PICSS
« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »
Replaced thermostat, distrubtor cap, spark plug wires, and a rad hose today. my carb kit came in but i think im gonna try and rebuild the carb that came with the truck since this one seems to be working well, truck is also running better and i uploaded pics to photobucket finnaly as promised!!

http://s1304.beta.photobucket.com/user/jeff_anderson2/library/?

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #44 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:53:19 PM »

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
Thanks! what yall think? im loving it!  :love:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:55:38 PM »
It looks like a good starting project rig, and looks like it was an SR5 model(buckets seats and the additional gauges under the heater vents).

Someone spent a lot of time fabricating the bed, it looks like it was made from a heavier gauge steel then the oem sheet metal.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
yeah i love the box, its built really well, i am going to bolt on a peice of diamond plate aluminum for a tailgate i think.

so i just replaced my headlights, yet the drivers side headlight still barly lights up... i have no idea why or where to start..

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:18:41 PM »
Check the wiring for corrosion.  And double check your ground connection. 

Here is some good reading, and if your good at wiring you can make your own new harness.  The factory wiring is weak, and old, and Roger's harness will bring it back to life.  http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml#OnLineOrdering
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyotafever [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »
Okay thanks! i winched someone who went off the road earlier tonight (drunk) out of the ditch and now the headlight works? ahaha, karma? - really not sure, but im stoked :thumbs: and if i have any more problems i will make or buy a harness.