Author Topic: I expect things are gonna get pricey.  (Read 3558 times)

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I expect things are gonna get pricey.
« on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »
People are in a buying frenzy......I think I'll join them, I want a Remington 870 12 guage and a couple of uppers for my AR, one in .458 SOCOM and one in 6.5 Grendal.  Friday I picked up a case of 9mm ammo and 6000 primers,5lbs of powder and some bullets. Prolly gonna put some more in the house next payday.   I hate it that prices get jacked almost every election now.
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: I expect things are gonna get pricey.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:00:03 PM »
I worked for a small ammunition manufacturer/wholesaler leading up to and for a while after Obama's first election. If prices are steadily rising, it could be that the supply is barely able to keep up with the demand. I remember for a while we were desperate to get brass from anywhere we could, and our production crew was on triple time. I used to unload shipments from companies like Winchester and the pallets never even made it into the warehouse - I just stuck them in the back of one of our trucks.

I am sure there is probably some price gouging going on as well though. I finally burned through all my 12 gauge. Need to buy more of that, and finally get my M&P .40. After that I want to build a simple .22 and then an AR.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:18:07 PM »
ar is next on my list, and I am buying a little ammo as I find it,but no more than usual
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:50:40 PM »
I was gonna start building an AR last fall, but people were already getting paranoid.   And the only parts out there, were 3x's their normal price for the cheap parts.  Or everybody was out of stock.  Like they are now still. 

I got onto a local firearm board earlier this year, and there are some guys that have over 250,000 rounds of ammo!!  :yikes: 

Right now I'll stick with my .22's, and my two .300 Savages model 99's.  No matter how bad the stores get wiped out, there is always .300 Savage on the shelves!  :yupyup:

I've also been toying with the idea of a Cetme/HK assault rifle instead of a AR.  A buddy has both, and both are equally fun!!  The nice things about the Cetme/HK is you can get a second lower and have easily machined for full auto!!  Pull two pins and swap out the lower, and back to select fire.   And you can get a Cetme version cheaper than a AR and still have $$ for ammo.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »
Bumping this thread. Went to gunshow today, normally there's maybe 1000-2000 people there and today I'd guess there was around 5k people. It was completely insane, prices were super high and you could barely look at the tables cause there was so many people.
This happening across the nation?

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »
Bumping this thread. Went to gunshow today, normally there's maybe 1000-2000 people there and today I'd guess there was around 5k people. It was completely insane, prices were super high and you could barely look at the tables cause there was so many people.
This happening across the nation?

going to a show in Feb I'll let ya know its a small local show but none the less a gun show
Wal Mart has some decent deals sometimes but our wont restock until Feb
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
It's getting out of control lately.  I can't even get cheap ammo.  The only stuff on the shelves is the oddball stuff.  And a buddy went to a shooting range, only to leave, because it was so full of people that obviously had ZERO shooting experience.  He said there was people running around with their fingers on the triggers, loaded guns being waved around towards people, and just plain carelessness. 

It's gonna be hard to put a ban on weapons, when thousands are being sold a day right now in any given city!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »
but can they put a ban on AMMO ???
except BACON

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
but can they put a ban on AMMO ???

or tax it to where you can berely afford to buy a box
also talks on registering ammo, can you say reloads

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:26:48 PM »
After the show we went to our local cabelas and they has no 223 ammo at all, not even oddball stuff. Plenty of ever other ammo though.

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »
can you say reloads

Yes and I can say middle of woods secret voluntary range clean up = FREE BRASS :yupyup:
except BACON

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:29:05 AM »
All i wanted to buy recently was a freaking usp compact  and cdnn was out of stock and couldnt give me an eta on new ones.  :(

Cant find any uppers to finish my AR.  :(

Bummer.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:48:20 AM »

I've also been toying with the idea of a Cetme/HK assault rifle instead of a AR. 

Where do i get one?

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2013, 03:27:07 AM »
Where do i get one?

Back in Nov. I could still find them, but since people can't get AR's now.  They have moved onto Cetme's, Ak, and SKS.    :shake_head:  Hell, I can't even get 10/22's, or semi auto .17's right now.  Unless you standing at the counter the second they get them in stock at your local store.  And if you want to crap your pants, go over to Gunbroker.com and see what things are going for in the auction arena.  Factory Ruger 10/22 25 round magazines are in excess of $100 right now.  And Butler Creek versions are at least $50.  I just got two BC's from my local BiMart for $20 each yesterday.  And thats up from $12.95 a month ago.

_HOIST_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 300
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:56:22 AM »
I vowed to clean and organize all my shooting gear and put it away for 6 months so I don't get pissed off about all this crap. I'll assess the ammo situation after that. I'm not going to be blowing through my stock of 5.56 and 7.62 when it's this expensive. It really sucks that it has to be like this especially when it's prime range time now in Arizona.

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:57:42 AM »
Went to go get my s&w mp 9 yesterday and the store was packed. The guy was running 3 background checks at once. Only long rifles left were 22lr and they were expensive. Not to mention my two boxes of ammo cost nearly double what I was paying a couple months ago

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
I vowed to clean and organize all my shooting gear and put it away for 6 months so I don't get pissed off about all this crap. I'll assess the ammo situation after that. I'm not going to be blowing through my stock of 5.56 and 7.62 when it's this expensive. It really sucks that it has to be like this especially when it's prime range time now in Arizona.

I miss shooting out in Arizona.   The Scottsdale gun club was awesome,  we went there and rented an MP5 for a little.  Well just long enough to blow through 240 rounds of 9mm between my Dad and I.  That was a fun experience, most likely never get another chance to do that ever again

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
I expect things to calm down as a little more time passes and people realise guns aren't to blame.  Stock should recover and prices will hopefully adjust.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:59:16 PM »
Four years ago, it was better part of nine months for shelves to finally get to normal stocking levels.   I just hit up my local feed store and grab a box or two when I get a chance.  But it's not the stuff I want.  But Win 30-30, .357 Mag, and .38 spec. is always there.  And the feed store is owned by the cheese factory, so I can charge it, and it comes out of my paycheck automatically.   :thumbs:

When taxes comes in, I'm gonna look into getting a Savage .308.  And if I have some extra maybe one in a .223.  Which means I'll be displacing my Toyota funds for the year.  Unless I work a crapload of OT again.   :crossed: 

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
I have about 5 lbs of .223 shells from others that dint clean up after themselves :yupyup:
except BACON

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »
RGuns, I just received uppers last week.  Quality stuff, just don't ask for an ETA, 2 week lead time.

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
Anybody following the discussions on the potential gun bans?  Word is surrounding the fact that any and all gun sales (private or public) will have to be recorded and filled with the federal government.  You know damn well that there will be a huge tax/fee for each transfer. 

I remember a while back there was talk on registering each and every weapon you own, and paying a tax each year for each weapon.  I see a 2nd Civil War brewing on the horizon.   :shake_head:

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »
won't this fall on the old what they dont know wont hurt US ??
except BACON

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »
RGuns, I just received uppers last week.  Quality stuff, just don't ask for an ETA, 2 week lead time.

What is this you speak of?  Edit:  nevermind found their website!
2 week lead time isnt a big deal whatsoever
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013, 12:20:58 AM by Dingman. »