Author Topic: I have a job interview, what can I expect?  (Read 7885 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I have a job interview, what can I expect?
« on: Jul 23, 2009, 08:23:43 PM »
It's at America's Tire Co very early tomorrow morning.  I haven't had one of these in a long time and need to bone up on my responses to questions, as well as which questions I should ask them. 

Aside from busting my ass, for those who've worked in the tire industry before, what can I expect?  Anybody worked for America's Tire in particular?  Anything I should know about the company to help me in the interview?

I know the basics, dress nice but not too nice, be well groomed and presentable, make lots of eye contact, avoid "ums, errs, uhhs, etc.", research the company before hand, make your flaw a positive, don't speak negatively.  I am very curious how to explain getting fired from the last place though.  I feel I was pushed out because I made too much and they were trying to make their numbers look better, but if they talk to my last boss I'm sure he'll make it sound like I did absolutely nothing.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: I have a job interview, what can I expect?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »
I would be to the point about it.  Don't get into mud slinging, but don't try to hide it either.  Acknowledge that you were fired, discuss the kind of work that you did, and if you have a (good)reference from your previous job, use that one.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
That's one thing I should have done before, talk to a couple coworkers and put them down as references, but my first reference is my first boss as a mechanic and I know he'll give me a good reference. 

I'm trying to look up information on their company but am coming up short.  I did find one article that says the company was started in 1960 by Bruce T. Halle, now has over 700 stores in 20 states with over 10,000 employees, but the info pretty much ends there.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TEXCRAWLER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -586
  • Male Posts: 566
  • Member since Aug '05
  • ROCK GOD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »
Who care if you were fired from your last job. The only thing America's tire can ask about your old job is would they hire you back or not the employeer you were fired from can't give any negative feed back by law. Tell you the truth I wouldn't even put them down. Tell the your number 1 priority is safety on the job, you are very attentive, a team player, and really like automotive mechanics. Those are always a plus.
87' Samurai, Dimond-F, Tacoma-R, 5.29 F-detroit R-spool,6 Stud knukles, 4-link coils F&R, Duel Marlin chromoly 4.7 Toyota T-Case, 39.5 TSL's, 8000 lb winch, 6 piont cage, Full Hydro, Sidekick 1.6 16V, Thourly header, LongField 30 splines, 115" WB, crawlin @ 459:1

I could care less for turtle points.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »
Try to track down their company philosophy, or mission statement, and talk about that. 

Talk about dedication to customer service, etc. etc. 

From their website
http://www.dtcorporate.com/

Discount Tire's Vision And Values

Discount Tire Company has a vision that not only lives but thrives in the hearts of its employees each and every day. From part-time to full-time employees at the store, regional or corporate level our employees work to be the best in the business.

One common thread running through the hearts of everyone within the organization remains the same - treat customers and one another with respect and fairness. Help those in need, always do what is right, work hard, be responsible and have fun.

The employees of Discount Tire represent its philosophy and its brand by remaining knowledgeable, friendly and honest. By offering the highest level of customer service, more product choices and the lowest prices, they have earned the right to be considered trusted experts.

Building customer relationships has allowed Discount Tire to become a leader in the industry. Our continual growth not only provides opportunities for employee advancement, but allows more customers to remain confident when choosing Discount Tire for all of their tire and wheel needs.

Freaking sweet!!  looking at that I just found that they opened a store here locally!  :woohoo:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:50:52 PM »
I've actually interviewed with America's Tire Co. I may be working there if I hadn't had the wrong stinkin phone number on my resume :doh:

I say just be honest with them, but don't tell them too much. I mean, don't volunteer anything more than you have to.

Good luck!!!!!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »
Like said, be honest about being fired.  But in this economy, alot of people are being fired.  You were fired over wage costs being too high!!!   

Just focus on the amount of years of service with the company.  And the dedication you gave to customer service.  How you were willing to put in long hours to satisfy your clients.  And safety is key issue.  Customer safety. 

Nate you will be fine. 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »
So it's been suggested that I wear work boots to the interview, and clean jeans rather than the kahkis.  Thoughts?
RIP KYOTA

TEXCRAWLER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -586
  • Male Posts: 566
  • Member since Aug '05
  • ROCK GOD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »
So it's been suggested that I wear work boots to the interview, and clean jeans rather than the kahkis.  Thoughts?

You could and tell them your ready to go to work on the spot.
87' Samurai, Dimond-F, Tacoma-R, 5.29 F-detroit R-spool,6 Stud knukles, 4-link coils F&R, Duel Marlin chromoly 4.7 Toyota T-Case, 39.5 TSL's, 8000 lb winch, 6 piont cage, Full Hydro, Sidekick 1.6 16V, Thourly header, LongField 30 splines, 115" WB, crawlin @ 459:1

I could care less for turtle points.

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2009, 01:37:01 AM »
Just make sure you have a snappy answer to the "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" question.  You can be lieing your :moon: off as long as you don't stumble with it.   Employers don't really give a crap about the actual answer but if you have one without having to think about it they think your "goal oriented".  A little knowledge about the company you are interviewing for and it's history doesn't hurt either.    Also, make sure you always look at the interviewer when your speaking to him.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2009, 02:07:18 AM »
I worked at tire pros(very similar to americas tire) for 2 years, and saw all kinds of ppl come through applying for jobs.  Honestly, I would relax because they arent expecting to hire someone that has a college degree, or is super qualified and experienced...I mean come on, its tire work not brain surgery.  Sure, it doesnt hurt to be polite and dress nice and stuff like you mentioned, but just dont worry yourself to death over it, ya know.  Focus more of your attention on just talking with the interviewer as if it were no big deal, you dont want to be thinking about if your clothes look right, while trying to answer questions.  Good luck, hope it goes well. 

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2009, 08:11:13 AM »

I'm pretty sure I"m too late on this, but I'd say no. Kakhis and a not too formal, short sleeved button up, maybe nice tennis shoes or something is a sign that you're putting forth the effort. If you show up in jeans and boots they may feel that you aren't trying very hard. Plus, it all depends on the interviewer. Everyone makes judgments differently.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2009, 05:22:10 PM »
Well, I didn't show up as early as I would have liked to but was still 6 minutes early.  There were actually several guys there working, but I guess that was cause they were having a big tent sale over the weekend and they needed to set up.

Went in and spoke to the new manager and we really only talked for a few minutes.  He said he really liked what he saw in my resume and application, and that my boss gave me a shining recommendation and said they were all sad to see me go.  The reason my boss gave for getting rid of me was restructurization, which kinda goes right along with me saying it was a numbers game.

He went and got the store manager and asked if he wanted to talk to me, and we ended up talking for probably 15-20 minutes, mostly him talking.  2nd guy really didn't ask me much, just went over a bunch of stuff on how the company was run, what had to be done to advance, etc.  He did mention the process of training, which can have you working 20-40 hours until you're good enough to work on your own for the most part.  They'll train you as much as possible, but since you have a guy with you all the time they'll pull you off if it gets too busy, and may tell you to grab a broom, clean the toilets or go home.  Both of them started off saying they really didn't have any openings at the time but they were very interested in me, but the store manager ended up hiring me anyway.

One really neat thing, and something that helped put me at ease, was that they don't have a set time you have to learn everything in.  He said it could take a week, 2 weeks, a month, 2 months, but they don't care.  They just want to make sure you're fully trained in doing things exactly how they want it done.  I'm fully stoked but still kinda have a little perma-knot in my stomach, hoping I'll measure up.  It seems like they're looking for long term and I'm looking for long term, so I can only hope it works out!

I did talk to the lady at edd and she said that if I do get approved for unemployment, they'll still pay me something as long as I'm not working full time, so if I do only end up getting 20 hours a week I'll still have something else coming in.  The job doesn't pay near what I was making before, but definately pays better than minimum wage, and I'm betting there will be raises handed out after evaluations, rather than having to beg and beg for a raise, be told you'll get one, then not seeing it for a year.

There's no set time just yet that I'll start.  They still need to get my background check (which could take a couple days to a couple weeks, just depends on how easily they find my info and how busy they are), then I have some pre-employment stuff to go through, but just the promise of a job in a tough time has me stoked!
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2009, 08:17:48 PM »
:thumbs:  Congrats, Nate! That didn't take long at all! With any luck, you'll pick it up quickly and get put on full time.  Good to know your ex gave you good marks, also good that you can get partial unemployment while on part time.   :thumbs:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
 :biggthumpup:  Nate don't worry about it.  You'll be fine.  Tire work is easy once you know what to do.  You've got a good head on you, and a good working knowledge of vehicles, so you already have a good start.  Looks like they have a good page for you to study from. http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/infoHome.do 
And they only deal with vehicle tires.  I had to learn everything there was about tires all the way up to tires that will smash your toyota.  :yikes: 

One other thing...  your knees!  I know you already have issues, but be prepared that they will be hating you.  You will do good. 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »
:thumbs: right on Nate!  Congrats!

-Ronald Reagan

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2009, 05:09:58 AM »
:cheer:   :woohoo:    :beerchug:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 25, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
Congrats...that's not a bad birthday present.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 25, 2009, 09:17:15 PM »
That's what I was thinking too  :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 25, 2009, 11:25:15 PM »
sweet dude, glad to hear!
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »
Did a little playin around with the 35s I have mounted on wheels.  Nothing major, just practiced repeatedly chucking one onto the tailgate of the 4by and it went well.  Tread against leg, kick up and roll onto gate.  Combo weighs around 68 pounds, so I need to grab something bigger or find somebody with a big vanity wheel and tire that they messed up and just wanna give away since it'll be heavier than the 35 with a 15" wheel.
RIP KYOTA

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2009, 01:00:41 AM »
If you were closer I'd let you practice on my 44's... They only weigh 167#'s each mounted on beadlocks...  :rofl:

You'll be fine, being a tire monkey is hard work at times but you'll deal just fine.  If they have a truck slab do yourself a favor and get on it.  Swinging a duckbill sledge to bust beads on semi wheels is cake and you'll get to spend time on the road doing service calls not dealing with whiny customers and bling wheels to worry about scratching.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:55:14 AM »
44's would kill me  :haha:  They don't have a truck slab though, only passenger car/light truck tires.  I've been stretching and stretching and stretching my back too, all throughout the day, and even bought some over the counter orthotic inserts for my shoes.  Those definately make my shoes more comfy, and will hopefully help with my back a little.
RIP KYOTA

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2009, 11:02:20 AM »
:hyper:   Excellent Nate!!   That's great!   How very sweet of your old boss to give such a good review/reason.  Yeahhh, a little sarcasm there, but I'm glad to hear you didn't have to deal with figuring out how to explain what happened.   Good luck!   :thumbs:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 27, 2009, 12:01:24 PM »
Not to them, but I did finally have my phone interview with edd this morning and it doesn't sound good.  They have me down as getting 7 writeups over 14 years, though I can only really remember maybe 5, and gave the reason for termination that I left a customer stranded over night on the lake and put it off on the morning guys.  That's funny, cause the customer requested I not come out that night, despite my telling him that I was still there for a while and could come out, but I'm willing to bet the customer would deny that since they probably used it as leverage to get money back on the trip. 
RIP KYOTA

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 27, 2009, 12:05:17 PM »
Not to them, but I did finally have my phone interview with edd this morning and it doesn't sound good.  They have me down as getting 7 writeups over 14 years, though I can only really remember maybe 5, and gave the reason for termination that I left a customer stranded over night on the lake and put it off on the morning guys.  That's funny, cause the customer requested I not come out that night, despite my telling him that I was still there for a while and could come out, but I'm willing to bet the customer would deny that since they probably used it as leverage to get money back on the trip. 

:maddest:   Unbelievable!!
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2009, 12:24:27 PM »
That's a crock!!  :tantrum:  About all I can think of at this point is that you should calmly tell them (EDD) your side of the story. Be as accurate and honest as possible (pretty much your style anyway, I know) and see where it goes. Even if it goes nowhere, at least you'll clear the air and get the truth out there. To say the least, it's a bummer having an unwarranted black mark on your record.   
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
I wouldn't really worry about it, as long as you still have the new job.  If it comes up, just say that you were very persistent about coming out, but they said it would be an inconvenience to them.  Another thing, just tell them that the prior employer, created a hostile work environment for you, but since your not a quitter, you did your job to the best of your ability.  You were basically setup, and that they were trying to find a way to get rid of you for reasons that were unclear. 

As for the new job, just remember to not use your back.  Learn to roll tires on your toes when putting mounted tires and wheels on vehicles.  Don't try to lift them into place with your back.  And to roll the tires up your leg and bounce them off your knee. 

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »
Quick update, I got a $1 raise without asking.  Boss said he needed to talk to me before I left yesterday and I had a bad feeling, but he asked how I was doing and I said good, asked how I like the job and I said I really liked it, then he said he put me in for a raise and it was approved, and starting monday I'll be making $1 more an hour.  Absolutely floored me!  I was going to wait till I hit 3 months and ponder asking, especially since I don't think the guy who was hired a month or so before me had got a raise yet.  It's not going to make me rich, but when I'm scraping so hard to get by, every little bit helps!

He also said I've been picking things up very quickly, which isn't what I thought but I aint gonna argue  :gap:  I do mess up every now and then, but I guess in the grand scheme of things I'm doing well, and I'm busting my ass trying to learn and be as productive as possible, mainly trying to keep it to where I don't need to pull anybody else away form what they're doing to get things done.  But, there are times you need help, period.  Some tires just won't seat without being blasted with air, which means you have to have somebody else help, and sometimes I have trouble balancing difficult assemblies.  I had some like that the other day (bfg truck tires are typically a pita, especially the a/t) and the lead guy took over for me, then I heard him yelling at the tire and throwing weights around  :haha:  Always makes me feel better when I'm struggling, somebody tries to help me and struggles too.
RIP KYOTA

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 24, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »
Wow im suprised i didnt see this sooner.  ive been working at americas tire for about 2 yaers now and they have treated me great.  its pretty lay back but we can still get our :pokinit: done when it needs to be.  Im making $11.00 an hour and 30+ hours a week now while still going to school and my boss is always pushing me to go full time so i can really make some money.  i really wana become a welder but if that falls through its nice to know that this company will take care of me.  thats one good thing about this company is it does take care of its employees.  i dont kno if you know this but, the V.P.s of the regions make around $250K a year salary and the company buys them a car when they get permoted with a $65,000 limit! stuff like that all the way down to giving part timers a christmas bonus.im very tempted to stay with them with those possabilities but well see how it workes out.  which store do you work at if you dont mind me asking?
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!