Author Topic: what vehicle did you get your new teenage driver and why?  (Read 2497 times)

jl93221

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
what vehicle did you get your new teenage driver and why?
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Im about at the point and just wanted to hear what others did thanks

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
i'm not that far along yet but when I was a teen it was a 69 VW bug that I built myself with my grandfather.

taught me alot about working on a vehicle and respect it a bit more than something that was just given to me.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
1969 ply. barracuda coup. cuz it matches the one I had in high school and still have in the garage.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
just got a 95 YJ fixer upper. Why? because she thinks jeeps are cool  :stopit:
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2012, 05:42:14 PM by AaronB »
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

blumagoo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
I think I'm gonna give the kid the 85 in 3 years and start another project.

GONZO97

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 612
  • Member since Apr '09
  • travel the path less taken
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Mattress Xpress
    • Buy me a beer
When i have kids they will be purchasing at least half of their cars, thats what my parents did for me, and i thank them for it everyday taught me to work hard
1997 4Runner Limited 3" lift on 31 M/Ts-Traded
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61054.msg749103#msg749103
1995 Xtended Cab SAS on 35's Dual Cases-Sold
1991 4Runner SAS on 33s RUF 63's in the back Bilsteins all the way around, 5.29s front and rear Detroit locked Front and Rear http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65180.0
1988 4Runner 3.0 V6--SOLD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97592.msg1086573#msg1086573
1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 3" OME Lift Springs 33" Duratracs

The Build:
Coming Soon

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
yea i had to buy my first vehicle ( 95 t100 sr5) didnt teach me anything i still beat the hell outa it but il buy my kid what ever he wants in 15 years
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
My first car was a 1986 ford ranger 4x4 that my grandpa gave me

brandon95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 193
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
when i was 14 my parents asked me what kind i wanted to drive , i told them i wanted somthing small like a third gen toyota on 35s, what i didnt know was they already bought my first car when they asked me, the next day they picked me up from school in it it was a 1990 chevy suburban 3/4 ton with a 10" lift and 38"tsls, i was so stoked, then i rolled it when i was 17 lol it sucks i miss that thing

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
both of my girls got Jeep XJ's
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I had to go in on halves with the old man for an engine rebuild in his 85 Toy Pickup. I drove that for about a year and a half and bought my 87 Pickup
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Well his 1st was what else, a 1985 4Runner. Turns 18 on 1/22 and now has a Subaru Impreza WRX.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jl93221 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
just curious but was the safety of the vehicle ever a consideration for example: air bags, antilock brakes, maybe something that has a high safety rating

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I'd never buy my kid a new car. I plan on buying them an older Toyota that needs work when they are like 13 (don't have kids yet) and if they want to drive when they get their license they can fix it and will have several years to learn. Otherwise for your question I'd recommend a Corolla or Camry. Good mileage, reliable, pretty safe.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Well I'm not going to toss him in a shoebox and turn him loose but as to airbags, antilocks and such they were not a consideration. He's been driving since he was 4 yrs old (yes four) so he was not a novice when he got his license.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I'd never buy my kid a new car. I plan on buying them an older Toyota that needs work when they are like 13 (don't have kids yet) and if they want to drive when they get their license they can fix it and will have several years to learn. Otherwise for your question I'd recommend a Corolla or Camry. Good mileage, reliable, pretty safe.

This.  But not necessarily a toyota. Figure out what the kid wants.  Had a buddy who's dad got him a '68 (I think) roadrunner.  total junkheap, had it running when he was 16, finished when he was 17.  All that work on it made him extremely knowledgeable, and his devotion to the car made him treat that thing with the utmost care and pride.  Always clean, always maintained, absolutely beautiful. 

Other than that, I'd say a small pickup, or a small 4 door. Nothing fancy, nothing fast.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Figure out what the kid wants.  Had a buddy who's dad got him a '68 (I think) roadrunner.  total junkheap, had it running when he was 16, finished when he was 17.  All that work on it made him extremely knowledgeable, and his devotion to the car made him treat that thing with the utmost care and pride.  Always clean, always maintained, absolutely beautiful. 

part of why I got mine the 69 barracuda, that and I was not going to give mine up.

PadawanYota_Stovy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 154
  • Member since Apr '09
  • I drive , I wheel , I crawl , I am Toyota
    • View Profile
My first car was a 1963 VW Bug that me and my Dad built into a Baja style vehicle after that it was my 85 Toyota pick up I still have to this day since 04.However, my daily drivers I've gone threw so many my best car was a crx 91.If you can land a stock one with under 150k that is a steal great mileage and fun to drive as well.

Stats : 85 Toyota 22RE , 3" body lift, 32" wild country's, Duel Marlin, Lock rights front and rear, full inside cage. 

I drive , I wheel , I crawl , I am Toyota

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
let me answer all the question both got XJ's one was free the other was $750.00 both were 4X4 only reason wish I could have found Yodas that cheap but didnt so they got Jeeps
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
let me answer all the question both got XJ's one was free the other was $750.00 both were 4X4 only reason wish I could have found Yodas that cheap but didnt so they got Jeeps

You were just punishing them weren't you?

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
My daughter has her permit right now. She wants my 87 4Runner but we are giving her my wifes 05 VW Beetle. It has all the air bags, abs, 4 cyl and it's small + she wants it. My wife wants a different car and that car will probably go to my other daughter in 3 years.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
When i have kids they will be purchasing at least half of their cars, thats what my parents did for me, and i thank them for it everyday taught me to work hard
X2 I plan to do this with my kids.  Helps them to "earn" the vehicle that they want.

yea i had to buy my first vehicle ( 95 t100 sr5) didnt teach me anything i still beat the hell outa it but il buy my kid what ever he wants in 15 years
Yeah, i beat the snot out of every vehicle I drove til I was about 22.
First car was my parents, but I drove it most of the time.  It was an 86 tercel that they bought new a few years before I was born.  Good first car but I destroyed the front suspension jumping it. 
It was replaced with an 87 toy pickup 4x4 I bought for $1500.
I bought a 98 Tacoma to replace it.
Up until the Tacoma I abused the motors (high revs, etc...)  Took me a good 6 months of owning the Tacoma to finally back off and be content not pushing it to it's limits. 
Definitely having a slow vehicle might help to prevent high speed driving but it will never stop it.  I had 3 tickets when I was younger for 20 mph over.  2 of those 3 tickets were in my 87 pickup with a 22R.
Depends on the driver but faster vehicle might make for a less extreme driver and a slower vehicle might make for a more extreme driver

Other than that, I'd say a small pickup, or a small 4 door. Nothing fancy, nothing fast.
X2, this would be my suggestion.

My friend had a 93 toyota tercel.  Got great MPG, reliable car, kept us pretty safe.

If it were me I would get a $1000-$2000 car that got good gas milage.

Safety is debatable on newer cars.  Yes they have air bags and such but old vehicles were built differently too.

We have a 01 Toyota echo, gets 40 MPG.  My wife bought it for $6500 with 75k miles, now you can find them for $3-4k with 150k miles.  Great car but they are very light, even with air bags I would be concerned how it would manage in an accident(very thin shell).  For practical use I would buy an echo again if it were to mostly be used around town and not drive high speeds on the freeway or highway.  We have encountered winds on the highway and its a nerve racking drive.

hansi530

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 412
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
i got my self an 88 pick up for my first car and once i did my sas i bought an 87 4runner and a 97 dodge dakota and im pretty happy with them all
88 custom cab: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88026.new#new
shitlbuffout-A saying among 4x4 and off road enthusiasts. Its said after damage normally cosmetic to minor parts damage has occurred on there rig or vehicle. Shitlbuffout is :pokinit: will buff out as in the :pokinit: being the damage will buff as in painted over cleaned polished or "buffed" out.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Got my 17 yr old brother a 84 toyota excab and tube for a cage
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Parents got my brother a 97 Nissan pathfinder which he totalled. It was replaced with a free(from aunt) 94 Mazda b4000(ford ranger). It has 300,000+ miles and still runs great. Good 4wd truck for him.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Just remember that you can pretty much expect a kid to destroy their first car.  Whether it be crashing it, stripping gears, overreving, whatever.  Its pretty much bound to happen. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Just remember that you can pretty much expect a kid to destroy their first car.  Whether it be crashing it, stripping gears, overreving, whatever.  Its pretty much bound to happen. 

I still have mine.........

(and I'm 51)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I still have mine.........

(and I'm 51)

me too (on both)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
which is why I said pretty much.  Especially with today's youth. 

-Ronald Reagan

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
i got my 86 p/u in highschool....only kid with a truck that had 33's and it wasn't the rim size. Still have her and still lover her.