Author Topic: chewed up cam shaft 89 22re  (Read 5609 times)

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
chewed up cam shaft 89 22re
« on: Sep 12, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »
recently put a top end in a buddies truck and after about two weeks it started to run like crap. I pulled the valve cover off to find that the cam shaft was being eating away by the rocker arms. exhaust valve on # 3 cylinder was really bad completely gone. so i pulled the cam out and all the journals looked of except for the one in the middle on the head it a littl scarred up . and also most of the rocker arms were shot i dont know it they were like this when i assmebled a couple weeks ago didnt think tho look ive never had a problem assembling these engines before. Anyways i really dont know what caused this to happen i wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? i was also wondering if i would be ok with just a new cam and rocker arms and not worry about the slightly scarred cam journal? this was a brand new head with cam shaft by the way . When i was taking the cam out im pretty sure one of the bolts that held the middle cap on was loose maybe that could have played a part?

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Re: chewed up cam shaft 89 22re
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »
Make sure the oil holes in the shafts aren't plugged up, and they're on the correct side.
Me

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
Kinda sounds like there wasn't ample assembly lube and maybe the valves were too tight?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »
I agree with the lube.  It seems to me that the center cam journal was dry.  If you can post a pic I can tell you if it can be fixed.
If its grooved at all then I would say the head is done.  Its not worth it.  Also the rocker arm assy adjusters were worn down ?  If this is the case then the head wasnt getting oil at all.
Hate to say it but it sounds like the oil feed from block was plugged.  Your gonna have to take the head in and have it checked out again.  Also your gonna need to flush the block to clean all the oil ports.
I have never seen a head get little to no oil like this.  Almost makes me think your oil pump pressure was weak.  The only way this happens is if the pressure relief is bad and was stuck open.

I guess basically the whole engine needs to be gone thru.  A lot of damage can happen if there is low oil pressure.

floorrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 333
  • Male Posts: 304
  • Member since Jun '09
  • Common sense is not that common...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »
recently put a top end in a buddies truck and after about two weeks it started to run like crap. I pulled the valve cover off to find that the cam shaft was being eating away by the rocker arms. exhaust valve on # 3 cylinder was really bad completely gone. so i pulled the cam out and all the journals looked of except for the one in the middle on the head it a littl scarred up . and also most of the rocker arms were shot i dont know it they were like this when i assmebled a couple weeks ago didnt think tho look ive never had a problem assembling these engines before. Anyways i really dont know what caused this to happen i wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? i was also wondering if i would be ok with just a new cam and rocker arms and not worry about the slightly scarred cam journal? this was a brand new head with cam shaft by the way . When i was taking the cam out im pretty sure one of the bolts that held the middle cap on was loose maybe that could have played a part?

on these 22r/re you have to adjust the valve lash first cold, then test drive and (warm up) the engine then remove the valve cover and recheck valve lash at operating temp. i believe it is set .8 and .12. also be careful when u tighten down the valve cover, do not tighten too tight it will lift the rocker assembly and change ur newly adjusted valves. if the valve lash is too tight it will burn up the cam quick.
87 4runner, 97 3RZ, dual ultimates, 5.29's air over elocker & arb, true longs R.I.P., York belt driven onboard air and a/c.

sandfantom

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2011, 02:28:21 PM »
The cause of the cam failure may be in the oil itself.  Our government in all of its infinite wisdom has decided the the zinc and phosphorus in the older oil is a pollutant and in the last several years taken it out.  This does not affect roller tappet motors but will reek havoc on flat tappet cams.

Here is a snippet from a website on the issue:

"The EPA has put stricter emission requirements on new cars that influenced manufacturers to remove ZDDP from motor oils. If you have an older car that was specified to use SF (1988) or earlier motor oil, its design requires ZDDP. Your older performance car could be damaged with the use of modern SM oils prevalent today. Cars equipped with flat tappet cams need ZDDP because of the high-pressure points. Newer cars have roller rockers and ZDDP is not needed in those applications"

Here is the website from where the quote came from.  Although they are trying to sell a product,  there is much information about this.

http://www.zddplus.com/

This from Wikipedia:

"The main use of ZDDP is in anti-wear additives to lubricants such as greases, gear oils, and motor oils, which often contain less than 1% of this additive. It has been reported that zinc and phosphorus emissions may damage catalytic converters and standard formulations of lubricating oils for gasoline engines now have reduced amounts of the additive, though diesel engine oils remain at higher levels.[3]. Crankcase oils with reduced ZDDP have been cited as causing damage to, or failure of, classic/collector car flat tappet camshafts and lifters which undergo very high boundary layer pressures and/or shear forces at their contact faces, and in other regions such as big-end/main bearings, and piston rings and pins. Roller camshafts are more commonly used to reduce camshaft lobe friction in modern engines. Some racing oils such as Valvoline ZR-1, are available in the retail market with the necessary amount of ZDDP for engines using increased valve spring pressures. See "external links" in this article. The same ZDDP compounds serve also as corrosion inhibitors and antioxidants."

Seems like your cam failed very quickly and this may not be it, but it is something you may look into.

Hope this helps out and you figure out your problem

sandfantom
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2011, 03:07:57 PM by sandfantom »