Author Topic: Flux core vs mig  (Read 44508 times)

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Male Posts: 1,660
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
Flux core vs mig
« on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »
Lets hear some pros and cons of flux core and mig. Why you like one or the other, ect.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: Flux core vs mig
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »
MIG for pretty stuff. FLUX for super heavy stuff or stuff you have to weld out side in the wind.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:11:37 PM »
Flux for versatility, and ease

Gas for clean, pretty, and cheap
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »
MIG for pretty stuff. FLUX for super heavy stuff or stuff you have to weld out side in the wind.
my thought exactly!  :yesnod:
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

86toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Montana 4x4 Association
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2011, 01:41:40 AM »
dual shield is where its at! flux cored wire with gas. of course in side only but an amazing looking weld. esp on stainless! very tasty haha
T86OTA

85yotapolo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2011, 04:34:52 AM »
they say using flux core is good for thick metal correct??

Muddytazz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 396
  • Member since Jan '11
  • I hear voices in my head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2011, 05:58:10 AM »
Yes, flux core will burn hotter getting a deeper penetration than gas welding.
Build it right or get off the trail

Irongrave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:16:56 AM »
with either just takes buring a lot of rod for it to look good.  spend the time in prep and in some cases almost no difference in the weld aperance.  Though echo with the rest said.  Gas for easy good looking welds, flux for out side in the wind or thicker metals
DD 06 Ram 1500, Crawler 92 XJ, Project 62 Walters snowfighter, Dr-Phats 84 p/u truggy

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
Flux core burns hotter because of the way the voltage goes from metal thru mahine, oppostie the way gas does. Gas also cools. I had a hobart 210, good welder, but after about 15 lbs of flux, it statrted to jam the liner and I had to get another one. I have since got a miller 211 and only run solid wire thru it, 4 lbs later and not a single jam or even sputter of my drive roll.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:17:18 AM »
dual shield is where its at! flux cored wire with gas. of course in side only but an amazing looking weld. esp on stainless! very tasty haha

I had no idea you could run dual shielding. Very interesting I'll have to try that.

As for Stainless, what are you referring to when you say esp? Are you talkin' a tri mix.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »
I had no idea you could run dual shielding. Very interesting I'll have to try that.

As for Stainless, what are you referring to when you say esp? Are you talkin' a tri mix.
No they make a dualshield stainless wire flux on the inside., it makes slag and uses gas. Tri mix, usings a solid wire, no slag.
The whole arguement about penetration is kinda dumb, neither one really penetrate that much, You are better off beveling all your joints.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:25:12 PM »

What polarity do you run?   The polarity for flux or the polarity for gas?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Muddytazz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
Same as gas, just takes different wire.

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »
Nope
GMAW, Solid wire- DCEP
FCAW, Self shielding- DCEN
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

Muddytazz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »
Brainfart, he is right.  I had Dual-shield on the brain.

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
Dual shield is awesome for welding thicker materials that are not very clean. Flux core is more forgiving for less than perfect surface preparation, and the addition of a shielding gas (I use Stargon from Oxarc) makes chipping the welds easier and makes the finished weld very pretty. For wire I use Esab e71t-1.
Dual shield has been used for structural steel in fab shops for some time now.
Mig is my preference for most applications on vehicles such as frame, suspension, etc. The only thing I would caution someone who is new to welding with it about is the fact that it is much easier to have lack of fusion and/or lack of penetration between the weld and base metal because the wire will melt at a relatively low amperage and create a weld that looks "nice" to an untrained eye, but will not perform well. This can all be avoided pretty easily with proper machine setup and good technique, especially proper travel speed and stickout. Mig is also great for thin materials.
Flux core is a very versatile process that can be used for most vehicle applications. A couple of the drawbacks would be it's a bit messy, both in terms of spatter on surrounding surfaces and the amount of smoke it produces.
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2011, 04:12:41 PM by yjay »
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »
i learnd tat in stead of the u or c shape you are supposed to do with soid wire and gas that you should pull or push in a straight line for flux cored and since then my flux cored welds look so much beter  i run .035 and it actually lays a nice wide well penetrated bead if you pull slowly
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »
 Dual and inner shield both have a pretty fluid puddle, helps the deposit flow out and tie in on the sides which is sweet. But both produce a lot fumes and slag so I like to run hardwire er70s6 with 25/75 shielding. Nice n clean with no surprises hidden under the slag.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
I'd have to get the particulars from my dad but I believe the spray transfer style of mig welding does better than standard mig welding for thicker material.  Not sure if spray transfer is possible with flux core or flux core with cover gas.  It might be something to look into when more penetration is desired in thicker materials.  I'll ask him about this subject the next time I get a chance. I also think that some welders require the polarity to be changed before swapping between the two methods flux and mig that is.  :flamer:

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
Penetration is not on how hot it is, its all about prep! Bevels, open roots, etc. Spray is hot and fast. Its for solid wire only and only in the flat position, vertical down and thats about it. Plus it takes a ton of power to do it, your 220 wirefeed at home wont do it.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

91 ex-cab [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
I'd have to get the particulars from my dad but I believe the spray transfer style of mig welding does better than standard mig welding for thicker material.  Not sure if spray transfer is possible with flux core or flux core with cover gas.  It might be something to look into when more penetration is desired in thicker materials.  I'll ask him about this subject the next time I get a chance. I also think that some welders require the polarity to be changed before swapping between the two methods flux and mig that is.  :flamer:
But is any one really doing spray transfer at home in the shop? I thought that was more of an industrial, and robotic use :dunno:
I always thought that mig gives you better looking welds and flux core has better penetration. Although that isn't exactly all the way right. My lincoln 180 requires you to switch polarity before going from one to the other, as does most other welders I have used/seen.

91 ex-cab [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2011, 10:56:27 PM »
Penetration is not on how hot it is, its all about prep! Bevels, open roots, etc. Spray is hot and fast. Its for solid wire only and only in the flat position, vertical down and thats about it. Plus it takes a ton of power to do it, your 220 wirefeed at home wont do it.
So with the right prep you can get the same amount of penetration out of mig as to flux core? Flux core is just better for easier prep or if you are welding outdoors(wind)?

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
You have have to switch the polarity.
The deal with penetraion is this, its not what you think it is. just butting up two edges and welding results in very little penetration. Dosnt matter what you use, flux, dual, short arc, spray, submerged arc.  What you need is the right settings to get the metal to melt and created fusion. Thats the key.  

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2011, 11:00:01 PM »
So with the right prep you can get the same amount of penetration out of mig as to flux core? Flux core is just better for easier prep or if you are welding outdoors(wind)?

Yes, you can get 100 pen welds with hard wire, and hardly any with flux if you do different preps.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2011, 11:05:40 PM »

that is a FUll pen weld with a 110 mig on 3/8s plate, vertical up, .030 hard wire, co2 gas, 10 passes, face bend. if you close at the center you will see the weld, color is little different.

Gear Jammin-Dog Chasin-Yota Man

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since Feb '11
  • Man is saved by grace, through faith, not by works
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
Whenever possible you should use shielding gas to keep the weld shielded from impurity as it cools thus giving the weld strength.
Flux core is used for windy welding applications where the normal shielding gas would be blown away.

Typically in the welding world flux core has a bad name, if wind is the issue most guys will use SMAW (stick welding).

If you want to run MIG, you will have the best results with shielding gas-NOT Flux core IMO -and I have been welding and teaching welding for some time.
1975 FJ-55 Landcruiser: pretty much stock with 31 x9.50x15 TSL's
1992 Extended Cab Pickup: 22r, weber carb, 51" RUF, F-150 rears, Aussie Front, Welded Rear, etc.
Build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=78730

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:24:06 AM »
Huh?
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »
Whenever possible you should use shielding gas to keep the weld shielded from impurity as it cools thus giving the weld strength.
Flux core is used for windy welding applications where the normal shielding gas would be blown away.

Typically in the welding world flux core has a bad name, if wind is the issue most guys will use SMAW (stick welding).

If you want to run MIG, you will have the best results with shielding gas-NOT Flux core IMO -and I have been welding and teaching welding for some time.

I would innershield has a bad name, dualshield  is great and used a lot.

91 ex-cab [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2011, 11:05:59 AM »
I would innershield has a bad name, dualshield  is great and used a lot.
Huh, thats almost the opposite of what my welding teacher told me :dunno:

Gear Jammin-Dog Chasin-Yota Man

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since Feb '11
  • Man is saved by grace, through faith, not by works
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »
Dual shield is the best set up for mig wedling for sure, it is used in almost any fab shop out there, and is the MIG equivilant for SMAW 7018 in quality and strength.

about innershield- it has its place in the welding world, just depends what you are wanting to fab.
 Dual shield is superior than innershield in most applications, and I think GMAW (mig with shielding gas) is better than innershield in most applications.

"Although the Innershield process has been displaced in many
areas by gas-shielded processes, Innershield continues to be an
important process for steel fabrication in many markets.
Innershield is the primary means for structural steel building
erection in the United States. In any shop or shipyard where wind
is a problem, Innershield can be a viable solution. Pipeline
fabrication is often done with Innershield because it is done
outdoors and shielding gas is sometimes difficult to get to these
locations."
(taken from Lincoln Electric's website)
1975 FJ-55 Landcruiser: pretty much stock with 31 x9.50x15 TSL's
1992 Extended Cab Pickup: 22r, weber carb, 51" RUF, F-150 rears, Aussie Front, Welded Rear, etc.
Build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=78730