Author Topic: Tearing down my L52HD help needed  (Read 1569 times)

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Tearing down my L52HD help needed
« on: Aug 14, 2010, 11:06:57 AM »
Ok so I have some of the trans tore down but I dont have a puller small enough to get the main front bearing.  It has 2 slots for the puller but all my pullers are way to big and I have a bunch of them.  Once I get this bearing free I am pretty much past the hard part.  Anyone near Brentwood area have a pull which will work ?  here is a pic of the bearing and you can see the 2 holes for the puller legs.  If pic isnt good enough I can take a better one.  The gear on the main shaft is off as well as the lower bearing. 

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
Re: Tearing down my L52HD help needed
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
I'm probably of little help, but can you set up the whole assembly in a press and push from the other end?  Or maybe put a couple looong bolts through the puller access holes and attach those to a slide-hammer type puller?

Is that one of the marlin HD bearings?

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »
I'm of no help.... Can you tell what and why about what cause the failure yet?
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
Is that one of the marlin HD bearings?
Yea its the sealed type bearing he uses to eliminate the weaker stock input and output bearings.  They are large so the holes had to be enlarged.  Its part of what makes these HD stronger. 

I'm of no help.... Can you tell what and why about what cause the failure yet?

I cant say for sure but one odd thing happened when I was tearing it down this far.  The front counter shaft bearing is suppose to be pulled just like the main shaft but it came out very easy.  I am almost thinking that if that bearing wasnt tight enough it would have allowed that shaft to move when it shouldnt have.  Tho the bearing looks perfect on the inside.  Im gonna need a new counter shaft anyways so that should resolve it. 
I have a large press here and decided I am gonna use it to push the main shaft thru the case little by little.  Sucks that the gears I need to get to are on the very bottom.
I wont know anything for sure till I get it completely apart.  If I cant get it apart safely then I am just gonna stick this trans aside and give up on it till I can afford the right tools to do the job.  Really not fond of running this L43 since freeway rpms are way to high for my liking.  3800 rpm to do 70. :(