Author Topic: Project Never Easy  (Read 73733 times)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: Project Never Easy
« Reply #210 on: Apr 29, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »
Hows the Rear disk workin bro, I am definitely going this route in the future.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #211 on: Apr 30, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
Hows the Rear disk workin bro, I am definitely going this route in the future.

I wish I could tell you, hasn't moved since I put them on. OOP's on pirate is running the same setup and I also know he's wheeled since he put them on. If you need any measurements or anything when you get around to it just let me know and I'd be happy to help out.

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #212 on: Apr 30, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
I'm also starting to lean towards a flat belly. With the rotated case it's just easier, the gain in clearance is going to be nice too.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #213 on: Apr 30, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
I wish I could tell you, hasn't moved since I put them on. OOP's on pirate is running the same setup and I also know he's wheeled since he put them on. If you need any measurements or anything when you get around to it just let me know and I'd be happy to help out.

Sounds like a deal.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
Here's some pics of the rear disk setup. The caliper is just mocked up on the rotor, not actually bolted on.

Booty fab bracket

Mocked up

Bit of an update. Sold off my old front rotors and calipers I was going to use for rear disks and bought some Montero Sport rear rotors and calipers. Almost have the rear disks done, just need to throw a couple more coats of paint on the brackets and bolt it all up.

Do you have more information on your rear disc breaks?  I did a swap I found on Pirate which uses stock front discs on a rear axle and uses a bracket much like the one you used.  I ended up doing a cartwheel in the truck and totalling it because the brakes didn't work right (Yeah I am an idiot for driving it).  It would lock up the front and pull hard to the drivers side.  The swap eliminated the parking break but it looks like your swap still has a drum center for the parking brake.  I would guess the brakets I had would still work with those rotors.  My swap also requires the axle shafts to be machined and the rotors go on the back side rather than over the front.  So carrying a spare axle shaft would require machining one and having a rotor already installed.  Tried to go cheap and it bit me in the butt. 

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »
Do you have more information on your rear disc breaks?  I did a swap I found on Pirate which uses stock front discs on a rear axle and uses a bracket much like the one you used.  I ended up doing a cartwheel in the truck and totalling it because the brakes didn't work right (Yeah I am an idiot for driving it).  It would lock up the front and pull hard to the drivers side.  The swap eliminated the parking break but it looks like your swap still has a drum center for the parking brake.  I would guess the brakets I had would still work with those rotors.  My swap also requires the axle shafts to be machined and the rotors go on the back side rather than over the front.  So carrying a spare axle shaft would require machining one and having a rotor already installed.  Tried to go cheap and it bit me in the butt. 

Here's the link to the thread where I found all the info: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969800

I was about to use stock front rotors and calipers, but decided they were too much of a hassle. This setup requires no machining, you just have to build your own brackets. As far as a e-brake, I don't have one. Montero Sports have a drum parking brake which is why the rotors look like they do. I have a parking brake on the transfer case, but I wouldn't consider it an emergency brake.

Golden State Motorsports out of Sacramento has their own disk brake kit and I'm pretty sure they have a drum style e-brake in the works too. You can find more info on that here if your interested: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034855

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
Thanks this helps.  I will have to track down some rotors.  Would the toyota calipers work with this?  If not the bracket I already have may not work because of the new calipers. 

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »
Thanks this helps.  I will have to track down some rotors.  Would the toyota calipers work with this?  If not the bracket I already have may not work because of the new calipers. 

I'm not sure if they will work or not. The toyota front are 4 piston non-floating calipers and the montero sport calipers are single piston floating calipers. Basically they are made for a rear application, unlike the fronts which I have read have problems with losing pedal on the trail. The montero sport calipers should also work well with the fj-80 master cylinder I plan to run, which was made for a vehicle with disk brakes front and rear stock.

86yoter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 314
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
just read the build bud, wow lots of work. i don't know how you go to school while you are building your rig. i wouldn't be able to focus. ever since i started looking for parts i can't get of the computer when i am in the house. but when you finish she will be a bad B#%^*!
86' runner nothing special

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
just read the build bud, wow lots of work. i don't know how you go to school while you are building your rig. i wouldn't be able to focus. ever since i started looking for parts i can't get of the computer when i am in the house. but when you finish she will be a bad B#%^*!

Thanks! It's nice that it's back home and not in front of me, otherwise I probably wouldn't be able to focus lol. I'm shooting for the end of June to be done with it  :crossed:

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »

Here's the link to the thread where I found all the info: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969800

I was about to use stock front rotors and calipers, but decided they were too much of a hassle. This setup requires no machining, you just have to build your own brackets. As far as a e-brake, I don't have one. Montero Sports have a drum parking brake which is why the rotors look like they do. I have a parking brake on the transfer case, but I wouldn't consider it an emergency brake.

Golden State Motorsports out of Sacramento has their own disk brake kit and I'm pretty sure they have a drum style e-brake in the works too. You can find more info on that here if your interested: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034855

Cool. This is what I want to do. I never liked the idea of solid mount calipers on a semi-floating axle. :thumbs:

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
Cool. This is what I want to do. I never liked the idea of solid mount calipers on a semi-floating axle. :thumbs:

I'd recommend the swap. If anyone is interested I got all "new" parts from amazon, came out to less than $150 if I remember right. That was with free shipping though.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
Looks good bro! Nice job on that windshield cancer. That kinda work blows.
You'll never take me alive

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2012, 11:54:52 PM »
Looks good bro! Nice job on that windshield cancer. That kinda work blows.

Thanks! I ended up using an sp100 with .025 wire and gas, ended up working very well. Still have to do a bed bob, so we'll see lol.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »
With bobbing the bed I put 18 gauge behind the seam. Made it way easier. No blow through! Keep up the good work.

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »
Good info. I still have a bunch of sheet metal left over from my half doors and windshield repair, should work out nicely.

Also saw on Jrock's Buildup the cracking on the frame around the front hanger, so it looks like I'm going to add gusseting up the front hanger to the list of to dos when I get back.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »
Good info. I still have a bunch of sheet metal left over from my half doors and windshield repair, should work out nicely.

Also saw on Jrock's Buildup the cracking on the frame around the front hanger, so it looks like I'm going to add gusseting up the front hanger to the list of to dos when I get back.

Yea. Looking back I would use a piece of 1" tube or box steel and really truss that corner.

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
I was thinking running a section from the hanger back a few inches along the frame and then, like you mentioned, the inside corner of the frame. Need to practice my welds first though, they look like crap now   :thumbdown:

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »
I was thinking running a section from the hanger back a few inches along the frame and then, like you mentioned, the inside corner of the frame. Need to practice my welds first though, they look like crap now   :thumbdown:

Hahaha I know the feeling. Some days are better than others.

86yoter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »
what about pieces of chain from motor mount to frame. :thumbs:

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
what about pieces of chain from motor mount to frame. :thumbs:

That's in the works, just haven't gotten around to it yet. If I have a little extra coin I might go for this route http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64810.180;msg=1003460

nisota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 608
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Wonsyld/Leard Built Fab
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »
just go solid & rattle your teeth out all the cool kids are doin it!

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #232 on: May 10, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
What is everyone's thought's on shaved diffs? Worth it? There's a low profile plug now, but since the housing is pretty much sitting there the thought crossed my mind...

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #233 on: Jun 11, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »
Getting back to work on this soon.

How many are running martacked axles? Worth it? Wanted to look into martacking while my axle is still apart.

Also still considering welding up the drain plug, is it worth it over running the low profile plugs?

Looks like I have some searching to do.

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #234 on: Jun 23, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »
Got some new street tires  :smokin:

Just kidding  :talkingn:  Was checking to see if 16's fit with the new brakes. Decided to throw my tires on my mom's taco, they kinda fit  :gap:

86yoter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #235 on: Jun 23, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
dude have her run them they will only rub a little

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #236 on: Jun 23, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »
Lol, that's what I said. That or throw them in the back, it would go anywhere with the e-locker haha

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #237 on: Jun 28, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »
What is everyone's thought's on shaved diffs? Worth it? There's a low profile plug now, but since the housing is pretty much sitting there the thought crossed my mind...
  if you dont got 37"  tires yota diffs smack everything at hammers. I like the flat and smooth, one last thing to get caught up on

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #238 on: Jun 28, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
  if you dont got 37"  tires yota diffs smack everything at hammers. I like the flat and smooth, one last thing to get caught up on

Good point. I was lazy and didn't do it.

Peterbuilt84 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #239 on: Jun 28, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
Bit of an update. Picked up a t-case crossmember off craigslist. I think beef is an understatement, the main portion is 1/2" and it has a mini skid that goes underneath where the t-cases mount. Also bolts with through the frame. Very solid to say the least. Here's some pics I stole off craigslist.

So I got it fitted up and tried to install it, which led to this...

The truck it came out of had a 2" body lift which is why I had to cut up the floor. The top of the front output is still hitting the floorboard, so there is still trimming to do. Sheet metal work shouldn't be too bad. Also had to move the frame mounts a bit since it came off a 3rd gen.

Anybody have any suggestions on stiffening up the holes in the through the frame? Was thinking about running some tubes through the frame, but I don't know if I want to go through with it haha.