Author Topic: 2010/2011 Hunting stories and pics  (Read 41089 times)

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 104
  • Male Posts: 646
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Re: 2010/2011 Hunting stories and pics
« Reply #150 on: Oct 01, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »
Nightforce are great scopes. My buddy has one on his M82 and 98 Bravo. Dead nuts accurate

:censored: I just looked up the nightforce that i was looking into and i went onto midway to get a rough price quote because i know my local gun dealer will give me the cheapest price since im a repeating customer, but midway listed it for $1987.99   :yikes:   
Hillcrest Crawlers

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=67011.0

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #151 on: Oct 01, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »

:censored: I just looked up the nightforce that i was looking into and i went onto midway to get a rough price quote because i know my local gun dealer will give me the cheapest price since im a repeating customer, but midway listed it for $1987.99   :yikes:   
Thats the only downfall to nightforce
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Oct 01, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »
Thats the only downfall to nightforce

This is the nightforce that i am looking into getting with the new velocity 1000 reticle. 

nxs 5.5-22x56

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/5_5-22x50___5_5-22x56/5_5-22x50_-_5_5-22x56.html

heres a link to the new reticle.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/NightforceVelocity1000Data.pdf
Hillcrest Crawlers

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Oct 06, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »
So has anyone been bear hunting this year? Only 127 have been harvested to date, so where they at this year? Last year I only ran into a 350-400 lb in the piute mountains. Last year the dfg warden said he saw alot of people pulling a bear out of up north in mammoth area. So anyone know of where they are this year? I had no luck In the southern Saquoia's area all the way up to springville area last year. I didn't have any time to get out and scout this year since work, wheeling and gf taking up my free time.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2011, 10:56:00 PM by Gixxer Jon »
Hillcrest Crawlers

kneedownnate [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Oct 06, 2011, 11:57:19 PM »
What elevations are you hunting?  I haven't actually seen one yet this year, but I'm seeing the most activity and tracks at mid elevations, though most of those are juvenile tracks.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #155 on: Oct 07, 2011, 12:44:57 AM »
So has anyone been bear hunting this year? Only 127 have been harvested to date, so where they at this year? Last year I only ran into a 350-400 lb in the piute mountains. Last year the dfg warden said he saw alot of people pulling a bear out of up north in mammoth area. So anyone know of where they are this year? I had no luck In the southern Saquoia's area all the way up to springville area last year. I didn't have any time to get out and scout this year since work, wheeling and gf taking up my free time.
Saw two on my drive home from work tonight, but Im 1300 miles away lol  :shake:. Had to throw that in there, sorry  :punish:
Good luck with your Bear hunt though.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Oct 07, 2011, 01:50:32 AM »
What elevations are you hunting?  I haven't actually seen one yet this year, but I'm seeing the most activity and tracks at mid elevations, though most of those are juvenile tracks.

I'm in 6-8k elevation
Hillcrest Crawlers

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Oct 07, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
in the area ive been deer hunting in (4-6k) ive seen loootttssss of tracks and activity. Yesterday we saw some tracks that had to have put the bear in the 500lbs range. If i can get some more time off ill probably grab a tag again this year and see what i can get. Hunting in the feather falls area
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Oct 08, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »
I've also been finding more heavily used bear trails a bit off the beaten path than I have in previous years, so maybe they've taken to staying a little more out of the way for some reason  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #159 on: Oct 09, 2011, 06:51:06 AM »
archery season opened here in pa last saturday
 not much activity this week a cupple does and a buck fight about 35yards away was cool to watch.  But on wednsday i seen a huge black bear prolly pushin 450 or 500 lbs.

ive been gettin a big 10pt on my trail camera at my feeded all summer haven seen 1 hair of him since a few weeks ago if some one poached hi ill be stuffing their limp body down an oil well
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Oct 10, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »
So today turned out to be my best day deer hunting this season.  Saw double the amount of deer I have seen any other day and had a good feeling, then saw a legal buck staring back at me through the fog.  Watched him and his buddy the spike for a minute before they jetted, then kept on up the ridge still feeling good. 

Doubled back down the mountain toward where I thought a trail would be, found an old grown over logging road and started working slowly back toward the truck.  Road opened back up to a well groomed trail and I kept slowly pushing along, but not slow enough.  I caught movement after hearing a thump and caught the backside of a large set of antlers on a very large bodied buck, but only saw it for about 2 or 3 seconds  :shake:  I have a threshold for little bucks I won't shoot, in between bucks I have to think about, and big bucks I don't even have to ponder.  He was the latter.

He was with a doe (which made me wonder if the rut had already kicked in ??? ) and absolutely dwarfed her, but after he left she stuck around and I noticed that she had a big enough body to shoot if she had a rack, so the dude was just plain big!

I'm bummed but happy at the same time.  It's been a while since I've seen a buck big enough to get me excited, but seeing 3 bucks in a matter of a few hours is a tough one to pull off around here.  Should have about the last 5 days of the season to go out and will hopefully have a friend with me for a couple days to poor over that area!
RIP KYOTA

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Oct 11, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »
ok so im sitting in the tree last night watching a bob cat catch and begin to eat a chipmunk when a 6pt comes in and chases the bob cat off.  The 6pt then returns to the dead chipmunk and begins licking the blood ozzing out of it.  About 5 mins later 2 does come up over the ridge and also begin licking the blood.  while im watching them wondering what in the hell is going on a small 8pt also walks over to lap up some of the chip munks blood.  WTF? never seen or heard of this has anyone else?
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #162 on: Oct 11, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
wow. thats weird. 
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #163 on: Oct 11, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
Thats definitly strange. Never heard that before.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:24:01 PM »
thats what i thought i have asked everyone i know pretty much and no one has ever seen or herd of that happening

skylinetoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
Bow season here opens Sat. and the week is draggin! I'm ready to sling some arrows.
85 Extracab, 3RZ, 35's, bobbed
83 w/3RZ on 39.5's in the works

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #166 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:10:07 PM »
My neighbors boy shot a doe in their back yard Friday morning, his first kill. Bright and early. We helped with the butchering of it tonight.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Oct 20, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
- This is kneedownnate on Stocker's computer -

Started my short vacation/hunting this morning.  Saw great sign, saw tracks over mine from earlier in the day, saw 2 giant sets of very recent tracks in close proximity to where I saw the big buck 1 1/2 weeks ago, and saw TONS of sign off the sides of a nearby road I checked out on my way out, but didn't see even 1 deer all day.  Also found a watering hole inside the roots of a fir tree, with lots of game activity in the area too, and 2 trees with a line of sight to the watering hole... tree stand  :gap:

Will be going in and canvasing the area again tomorrow with more focus on the side of the canyon where I saw the greater sign, and hopefully I can turn that sign into something  :crossed:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Oct 22, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »

Yesterday turned up absolutely nothing, so I changed it up and headed up the ridge where I saw all the deer in the rain, and surely enough I saw deer again!  Started thinking that some day I'd look over the edge of a hill and see a large rack poking up through the brush, then looked over the edge about 10 minutes later and saw just the top of a rack sticking up, but he was eating his way down and I never even got a chance to see anything below to gauge his size or make a shot.  Back up again tomorrow morning to see if I can scare something up, which seems to be the case cause they are jumpy!

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Oct 22, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »

Yesterday turned up absolutely nothing, so I changed it up and headed up the ridge where I saw all the deer in the rain, and surely enough I saw deer again!  Started thinking that some day I'd look over the edge of a hill and see a large rack poking up through the brush, then looked over the edge about 10 minutes later and saw just the top of a rack sticking up, but he was eating his way down and I never even got a chance to see anything below to gauge his size or make a shot.  Back up again tomorrow morning to see if I can scare something up, which seems to be the case cause they are jumpy!

Good luck tomorrow. Let me know how it goes. I leave for my elk hunt on the 3rd
Hillcrest Crawlers

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Oct 23, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »
It was a bust!  I saw the same 2 fawns and doe in the same area, got to within less than 20 feet of the fawn and it knew something wasn't right, but didn't panic and went about it's business.  Then mom stepped out and saw a blob sitting in the middle of the trail, realized it wasn't there before and panicked.  I found some sign that will help me next year as I made my way down next to an older cut, but didn't find any more deer. 

2 things I've found in the area have led me to believe the deer are even more pressured than I thought;  I came out of the woods to find 2 fresh dog piles across the road from my truck, as well as quite a few spots where the dogs were digging around in the dirt, and I've found multiple sets of cat tracks, as well as one set that was quickly following a very large set of deer tracks where the deer seemed to be in a big hurry heading down the mountain.

I have lots of mental notes in case I intend to hunt the area again next year, but a friend has decided to get into hunting and we plan on going next year.  My plan is to go over topo maps and find a low pressure valley or two in a wilderness area, extensively scout from as early as possible to make sure there's an established herd and mature bucks, pattern their daily routines and make sure they stay the same, pack in and hide supplies so we can sneak in more quietly when it counts, then come out with a nice buck or two next year  ;)
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Oct 23, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
Oh, and good luck on your hunt Jon!  Elk is my dream kill.  I would feel completely content if I were able to kill a nice big bull!

And I also plan on getting a new rifle for next year.  I've clanked and clunked around for years with the old remington 788, and while they're incredibly accurate, the metal magazine is loud and awkward and has spooked too many deer!
RIP KYOTA

superyoat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Oct 24, 2011, 06:08:42 AM »
My wife's first bull
1985 4runner. 4.3TBI, ford 9" rear w/detroit, toy front w/detroit, longfield shafts, alcan springs, dual cases.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:26:13 AM »
Very nice!! Congrats to her!  :biggthumpup:

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #174 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:59:04 AM »
Thats great for a first bull!! Congrats to the both of you.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Oct 24, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
NICE RACK :eyebrow:

Wish i could go elk hunting

superyoat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Oct 24, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
NICE RACK :eyebrow:

Wish i could go elk hunting
ya its nice. i shot my cow elk about 2 miles from my house last year.
1985 4runner. 4.3TBI, ford 9" rear w/detroit, toy front w/detroit, longfield shafts, alcan springs, dual cases.

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »
45 kokes.
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #178 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
Do they give them away where you are too? We can get like 40 with a fishing lic after they milk em. Cant wait for that time to come. Gonna smoke me some Salmon
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #179 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:38:52 PM »
love kokies. have not got any in a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.  :rivers:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: