Author Topic: 2010/2011 Hunting stories and pics  (Read 41146 times)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: 2010/2011 Hunting stories and pics
« Reply #60 on: Sep 26, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »
working in oroville today, saw 2 nice sized doe's up above Gold Country... wish i had my camera, they were within about 10 ft of my work truck.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sep 26, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
working in oroville today, saw 2 nice sized doe's up above Gold Country... wish i had my camera, they were within about 10 ft of my work truck.

if you were near gold country you were less than like 3 mins from my house haha i live off ward blvd.. weird :pokinit: o.O
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

kneedownnate [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sep 26, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »
Hit the mountain by stocker's place before light and parked at the beginning of the shooting area and was first up the mountain.  Spotted a fawn down the hill totally by chance within 15 minutes, then found mom.  Parked the truck in the area I wanted to scour, walked a little bit down the ridgeline real quick and was nearly hit by a pigeon, walked up the road for quite a ways, still nobody else. 

Barelled over the wrong side of the hill and went down, way down for my knees.  Saw tons of good sign, a few different sets of large bear tracks that were a week old max, thought I jumped a buck but it seems it was more likely a falling pine cone.  Started heading back toward the road and saw buck crap, 30 feet and more buck crap, 10 feet and more buck crap, again and again. 

Started heading down the right side of the hill like I originally wanted to but it got thick, knees felt like they were starting to go, and my stomach was rumbling way too much, so I headed back down the road and broke down the hill toward the truck on a skid trail.  Still nothing. 

Saw a few more pigeon so I decided to head down an old skid trail to where I knew they sometimes hung out.  Jumped one before the clearing, jumped a few more before I could get there, couple more dive bombed across before I could shoot, and for the life of me I couldn't get them to move to a tree where I could get a shot.  Picked a spot and sat there waiting, and waiting... and waiting. 

I knew the trail was overgrown a few years back so I brought the cordless sawzall.  Went back and dropped off the rifle, grabbed the sawzall and started clearing the trail just enough to quietly pass.  Got almost all the way to the clearing before the battery died, laid it down and went back to see if any pigeon had settled by the clearing.  Started slowly walking through the clearing when I heard "her her her", and 2 grouse took off from behind some bushes and into a tree, then one took off and I barely got a glimpse of the fat b*std.  Walked around the hill where it looked like he might have gone but found nothing.

Couldn't scare up the second grouse so I headed back to the truck, about 1/2-1/3 mile away.  Got 100 feet from the truck before that fat grouse busted up the hill.  :pokinit:!  Dropped the tools off at the truck and headed up the hillside looking for him.  Got up to the skid trail I'd walked down before, walked a short distance up and decided to head back down, and as soon as I turned around he busted out from some low brush... behind some trees  :shake:  None of these times could I see if he landed, so all I could do was go where I thought he might be.  Walked all over around the tree it looked like he mighta landed in, then finally saw movement on one branch, he saw me and bolted and I popped him.  Or so I thought.  He totally stalled, couldn't seem to gain his composure, banged into every branch, then finally took off.

Looked and looked and couldn't find him in a tree or on the ground.  Went back to the truck, drank some water, grabbed my camelback and headed back up to again scoure the hillside.  Nothing, no feathers, no sign, nothing. 

Long story, huh?  Yup, got back to the truck this time at 4:30 and decided to head for another spot that's usually pigeon rich and got there in just over an hour and ran into the first pigeon 75 feet from the truck.  Several others busted out of the trees but I couldn't get a shot at any.  No worries, they were flying slow and were thick, so I knew I'd find more on the ridge.  They were everywhere and kept popping out of the trees, either behind other trees or directly into the lowering sun. 

Finally got a bad shot at one leaving a tree straight ahead, pulled or didn't line up right, then caught another as he tried landing in the same tree.  Fell from the top wings flapping and was dead when he hit the ground.  Sweet!  Set him off to the side, started walking and heard a truck coming up.  WTF?!  This is a locked gate.  Damn local yocal flat biller came bombing up and spooked everything ahead and behind.  Walked quite a ways in and saw nothing, turned back and didn't see one damn bird!

So all in all I was in the truck for about 1 1/2 hours of the day and came out with 1 pigeon, and I'm not complaining!  Still had a great time and got lots of exercise, but it would be nice to see some deer for all that effort!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Sep 27, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
if you were near gold country you were less than like 3 mins from my house haha i live off ward blvd.. weird :pokinit: o.O

I was up off LodgeView,  I saw a nice looking White 90's PU w/ exo in the back and probably rolling on 42's. You know who that is?  the guy looked like he was in his 40's or 50's getting on the freeway from Palermo.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sep 27, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »
doesnt sound familiar =\ i havent been keeping up with all the rigs in my area lately though
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Oct 10, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »
Got a grouse today.  None of that flying into branches then flying off bs like last time, it actually fell straight down.  I then watched a grouse fly off and thought "wtf, it fell straight down?!", then heard it thrashing on the ground.  Couldn't believe how big it's heart was too, at least 1 1/2" diameter and an inch or more thick! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 104
  • Male Posts: 646
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Oct 11, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »

Taken from my cousins game camera a few days ago.

Hillcrest Crawlers

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=67011.0

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:02:14 AM »
Very nice!  Looks like the deer just found some random corn from the area  :haha:

Almost looks like he's ruttin up already?  That'd be a great sign for the last week of the season here!
RIP KYOTA

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Oct 12, 2010, 06:53:40 AM »
yea well that random corn is legal in OK, but not CA. lol Its still season out there and in southern CA we still have a week left.
Hillcrest Crawlers

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Oct 12, 2010, 10:35:30 AM »
I'd like to hunt whitetail at some point, especially if I could go up to saskatchewan  :wink2:
RIP KYOTA

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Oct 12, 2010, 10:21:20 PM »

Hey Nate, Too bad that we have 30 days until opening day for Fall Turkey season....

Today we went quail hunting and brought the rifles incase we ran across a deer or bear to fill our tags, but it was way too hot for them to be moving around today.

While we were out. we stopped at out secret turkey spot  :psss:  to scout for fall turkey and they were walking around as if we werent there...  :thumbs:

All the hens were walking around us within 15 feet and the jakes and toms were about 100 yards out and after we walked up to them they didnt take off until about 20 yards away.. 

Hillcrest Crawlers

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »
Crazy!  Good sign hopefully  :crossed:  Only place I've seen a turkey lately was when I went over to pick up a part from a dude's house and saw a giant one with a 6-8" beard crossing the road when I was turning around.
RIP KYOTA

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:34:46 AM »
Crazy!  Good sign hopefully  :crossed:  Only place I've seen a turkey lately was when I went over to pick up a part from a dude's house and saw a giant one with a 6-8" beard crossing the road when I was turning around.

well the turkey in the pic are always there and are all over the damn mtns in that area. but like i said they are always right there in that meadow bc of the food they graze on is right there and a creek that constantly runs with water is 15 feet away....  loooks like Ill be eating good, this year... No digging through the freezer section at albertsons for a butter ball. lol. ahaha gonna get my mom one too...
Hillcrest Crawlers

Coastie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Oct 14, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »
is that a remington?,   Nice turkeys.  Shot one in Mariposa with a 8 inch beard last year.....
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010, 06:53:00 PM by Coastie »

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Oct 17, 2010, 12:57:29 PM »
If you're asking me, yes, that's a remington youth/ladies 870 20 gauge.  I fought a super long 12 gauge that wasn't set with the right length of pull for me for years, then finally broke down and bought this one when it was on sale and I've never had so much fun bird hunting!

So nobody has picked up anything?  I've heard incredibly few shots while out hunting, and they usually seem to be bird hunters since there are more than one in quick succession.  1 week left of b zone deer  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA

Coastie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Oct 18, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
No, time to hunt family here from NY and FL.  Yeah I have two of those 20GA youth models,  sweet little gun,  they make a great home defense gun to.  Small compact and quick to swing.   

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Oct 18, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »
:yesnod:  always beside me, loaded with buck shot  ;) 
RIP KYOTA

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »
So who all bow hunts on here? I just got a Hoyt power hawk and have been shooting it a lot. Been seeing lots of hogs behind my house. I'm going out tomorrow nite so see if I can put a stalk on one.... bow hunters post up!
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:09:57 AM »
Driving home from my friends house tonight I saw not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 nice bucks beside the road!  All were nearly forkies, but 2 were just poking out as 3 points, and one of them was frickin huge!
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Oct 22, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »
Boss said I could have saturday off if I could get another guy to cover for me, just talked with him and he's down, so here's hoping the other managers will allow it since my boss isn't there today  :crossed:

Not sure the plan, but I need to get something solid lined up rather than wandering around aimlessly or deciding what afternoon hunt I want to go on during my morning hunt.
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Oct 22, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
Hey Nate, it just started raining here (4 pm Friday) and they say 90% to 100% tonight through Sunday night. OK to crash here if yer in the area.... we might even have some chow. Hope you get the time off -- good luck wherever ya go.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Oct 22, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »
Cool, thanks!  It started raining a little before we got off work and has been off and on.  Need to get off my butt and go pull the boat out of the back of the truck. 

So I got the day off BUT...  :shake: I have to go in at 7am to attend a meeting.  I don't 100% have to be there, but I basically have to be there since I'm one of only a few guys in the position being covered, and it definitely pertains to my future job.  Shouldn't last but maybe 30 minutes, but it's the best damn 30 minutes of the day  :maddest:
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Oct 22, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »
No worries, what that could mean to your future employment picture is more important than the possibility of maybe getting a shot off during that half-hour.  :yesnod:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Oct 22, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
True, but I think you mean that 2 1/2 to 3 hours since I won't likely hit the woods till around 10 or later now...  I was going to kick out tonight or super early in the morning and park in the woods so's not to spook them with the super loud exhaust  :ack: 
RIP KYOTA

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Oct 23, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
Well i didnt get to go since i may of had to work so my dad went huntin without me.. Took this up out of barker creek in hayfork

a bit over 100 lbs

Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #85 on: Oct 23, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
Tiny.... the meat will be HELLA TENDER THOUGH! Deer just opened up here :P October 10th - December 1st
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:19:09 PM »
Not really that tiny.. thats in the back of an f 250  they dont get to be like the big fat fuckers   he was prob a good 110-115lbs  http://www.blacktailcountry.com/html/blkpage.htm go read there about blacktails ;)
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Oct 23, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »
(This is Nate at Stocker's)  Not at all tiny, congrats to your dad!  They get bigger, but that's definitely the norm for the area.  I have to wonder what the monster forkie I saw the other day weighed, looked like it had a solid 40 pounds on your dad's, but I'd be stoked to shoot that!

Got a late start due to the morning meeting, but I saw 7/9 deer, triple what I've seen any other day, so the storms seem to be pushing them around anyway.  Have a couple spots I plan to hit tomorrow morning to mid day, then kinda hunt back home.  Storms are supposed to be worse tomorrow so it'll hopefully get something with antlers out where I can see it!

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Oct 24, 2010, 01:43:56 AM »
(This is Nate at Stocker's)  Not at all tiny, congrats to your dad!  They get bigger, but that's definitely the norm for the area.  I have to wonder what the monster forkie I saw the other day weighed, looked like it had a solid 40 pounds on your dad's, but I'd be stoked to shoot that!

Got a late start due to the morning meeting, but I saw 7/9 deer, triple what I've seen any other day, so the storms seem to be pushing them around anyway.  Have a couple spots I plan to hit tomorrow morning to mid day, then kinda hunt back home.  Storms are supposed to be worse tomorrow so it'll hopefully get something with antlers out where I can see it!

They will be up and moving for sure with the weather.  My dad said he saw probably 20 deer or so that day. He was actually on his way down the hill to head to a different area and he saw it prob 50 yards up the bank from the road haha  Nailed it in the shoulder and just about disintegrated its heart. He said it came runnin down the hill across the road and got stuck in a bush on the other side almost going over the edge to basicly a cliff haha. He got way lucky on that.... just wish i could have been there to shoot it! stupid work =\
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
So again my season is a bust.  Saw several deer yesterday but they were all does and fawns.  Headed for a couple roads I wanted to hit this morning but the gates were closed, so I decided to hike up behind one.  About 15 minutes from the truck I saw movement in the trees down the hill, but just as I started to turn to look through the scope a flock of pigeons right behind me took off and spooked him off.  I say him because he ran stiff legged, stiff neck cocked back holding his head high.  Buck.

It was wet, too wet!  My supposed waterproof jacket leaks like a seive, as do my aging waterproof boots.  Decided to stick to dirt roads unless the rain let up, but not before I saw another doe.  Rain let up and the sky started to clear a bit so I followed a hunch and hit a remote gated road.  Also decided to play a hunch that I'm wasting way too much time by walking super slow, so I walked a normal to quick pace and was able to cover way more ground.  Turns out it works pretty well cause I must have pushed a doe up through the cut, then caught her when walking above. 

Kept going a ways down the road to the next cut and saw some movement.  Wind was pushing pretty hard and swirling from different directions, so I'm pretty sure they smelled me but had no idea where I was.  Watched 2 does and a fawn work up to the road, followed them around the corner then noticed the nearby hills were socked in with rain already, storm had pushed in more rain super fast.  Turned around and started jogging back to the truck - didn't want to be soaked to the bone for the 3rd time in 2 days - and noticed something else in the cut, another doe.  Watched here spook off and saw she had 2 little fawns. 

On the way back through the lewiston area I saw 19 townie deer, only one being a small buck.
RIP KYOTA