Author Topic: Music Recommendations  (Read 4276 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Music Recommendations
« on: Apr 05, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I recently upgraded my stereo system to the true audiophile level.  I have a subwoofer on the way to supplement the home theater, but my two channel sound is absolutely amazing.  I've been enjoying listening to my music collection, but am finding that I don't have a lot of good quality recordings.  I'm finding that the majority of pop/rock music is mixed for the radio/MP3 world and sounds horrible on a quality system.

Here's a list of some fantastic recordings for those that are looking for some recommendations:

David Garrett - Tchaikovsky Conus Violin Concertos with the Russion National Orchestra (Deutsche Grammophon)
David Garrett - Paganini Caprices with Bruno Canin, piano (Deutsche Grammophon)
James Galway & Phil Coulter - Legends
Yo-Yo Ma - Appassionato
Michael Buble - It's Time (Songs 5, 7 & 11)
Jane Monheit - Taking a Change on Love

I have a few other great CDs, but these are by far the best recordings.

Any suggestions for me?  :dunno:
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2010, 08:02:50 PM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Re: Music Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2010, 08:50:29 PM »
Any suggestions for me?  :dunno:

You need to play Black Sabbath on 88 speed!   You'll see god!  :greengrin:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »

You need to play Black Sabbath on 88 speed!   You'll see god!  :greengrin:

I'd be willing to bet it would make my head hurt.   :hammerhead:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

exxon

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »
what speakers/head unit are you running for curiousity purposes
'86 4runner 22re
'04 TJ
'78 Ramcharger 440 35's

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 395
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »
From the looks of your list I will have to call my Grandma for suggestions. Just kidding. Beethoven has some nice range.
Precision guess work done here.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »

Beethoven has some nice range.

That's like saying Mike Tyson used to knock emeffers out.

I have a suggestion...I guess they're a love 'em or hate 'em band...Gov't Mule. Crank up the album "Dose". I love the tracks Thorazine Shuffle (killer guitar work), Larger than Life and Game Face.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
I have a suggestion...I guess they're a love 'em or hate 'em band...Gov't Mule. Crank up the album "Dose". I love the tracks Thorazine Shuffle (killer guitar work), Larger than Life and Game Face.
I've heard one of their songs (on Pandora) and liked it, but I can't think of it right now. I'm adding Thorazine Shuffle, maybe it will play one of these days. Thanks for the tip!
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »
I've heard one of their songs (on Pandora) and liked it, but I can't think of it right now. I'm adding Thorazine Shuffle, maybe it will play one of these days. Thanks for the tip!

Always glad to spread the word about them.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
I had this back in the day when I had a huge stereo system. It's synthesized classical and it has a large rage of frequencies from highs to lows.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Busters-Don-Dorsey/dp/B000003CTU
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
I've heard one of their songs (on Pandora) and liked it, but I can't think of it right now.

Hah! It finally came to me... Endless Parade.   :beerchug:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
Not that I expect to gain a lot of approval, but a buddy of mine has a killer stereo system (20K+) and some of his favorite music is rockabilly, and earlier punk rock.  One of my favorite bands is Social Distortion, and having heard it on his stereo, I would agree. 

Rockabilly is some of his favorite because it combines different music styles, resulting in a large range of instruments, rythyms, tones, and vocals.

Just a thought.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
what speakers/head unit are you running for curiousity purposes

I have an Integra 50.1 receiver with Focal 836v floorstanding speakers.  They seem to be a great match considering overall sound quality and relative price.  I've listened to Focal speakers ranging from $495 to $180,000 retail and was able to listen to my 836v speakers hooked up to the same system that is used to run the $180,000 speakers.  I know how good they can sound and I'm happy with what I have.

Focals most impressive speakers are actually a $14,000 pair of bookshelf speakers (tweeter and a single 6-1/2 inch woofer) that are simply jaw dropping.  Coupled with a $3,500 JL Audio subwoofer was about the most impressive thing I've heard.

The bottom line is that my stereo is good enough to expose poor recordings even if the music is good.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »
From the looks of your list I will have to call my Grandma for suggestions. Just kidding. Beethoven has some nice range.

You're probably right.  I'm more of an easy listening guy and don't enjoy the majority of contemporary pop, rock, rap (if one considers it music at all), etc...  There are specific songs that I enjoy, but I have a difficult time getting CDs for a single song.

I finally got Pandora sounding as good as possible with it hooked directly to the receiver and using it optimizer feature for compressed auido files.  It really sounds great until you put in the actual CD and compare, then it's not even close.

steveco.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
The Mars Volta-Deloused in a Comatourium

John Fruciante- The brown bunny OSD

Flaming Lips- Zaireeka Files CD's 1-4 played at the same time.
Let's put a smile on that face!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »
I've always been a fan of Wagner, especially the "March of the Valkyries," and Eric Clapton's lesser known album, the movie soundtrack for Rush.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_%28soundtrack%29   First seven songs are just instrumental, and with 3 songs and one being, "Tears in Heaven."  I would play the first seven tracks over and over on my system. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen