Author Topic: Jake's 81 build, 40" Iroks coming soon  (Read 54526 times)

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
Re: Jake's 81 build, 40" Iroks coming soon
« Reply #121 on: Aug 02, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »
Truck looks good with the new tires.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Aug 18, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
I finally got my passenger side floorboard cut out and I had to do some more trimming to the fenders.  They finally clear!  Well as good as they're going to anyway.  The rears rub a TINY bit when it is completely stuffed but no biggy.  I also got my Longfield hub gears installed too.  Now all I need to do is go 4 wheeling.   :thumbs:

Truck looks good with the new tires.

thanks
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sep 05, 2010, 11:32:41 AM »
I watched your video a page back. I'm curios how your rig handled the hard part, er the ledges, on cheap trick. I bet it would handle those ledges much better now that ya have the irocs. Jake, were gonna have to get together for some trails sometime soon. ;)
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sep 05, 2010, 11:52:50 AM »
I watched your video a page back. I'm curios how your rig handled the hard part, er the ledges, on cheap trick. I bet it would handle those ledges much better now that ya have the irocs. Jake, were gonna have to get together for some trails sometime soon. ;)

I didn't have any trouble with the ledge at the entrance of cheap trick.  I used the bypass for the ledges towards the end  :driving:.  Never even pulled cable.  I'm sure the new iroks will make it really go.  We definitely need to hook up and go wheelin'. :thumbs:  For now I'm thinking I'll just beef up my Toyota axles.  I keep bugging Jordan7118 to get his tons in so I can have his taco rear.  This time it'll get some added beef prior to installation.   :flamer:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sep 06, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »
I
I didn't have any trouble with the ledge at the entrance of cheap trick.  I used the bypass for the ledges towards the end  :driving:.  Never even pulled cable.  I'm sure the new iroks will make it really go.  We definitely need to hook up and go wheelin'. :thumbs:  For now I'm thinking I'll just beef up my Toyota axles.  I keep bugging Jordan7118 to get his tons in so I can have his taco rear.  This time it'll get some added beef prior to installation.   :flamer:
That ledge a the start is crawlable even when wet. those ledges on up towards the exit were fun and requied some creative lines and some throttle bumps. We did that trail at night and all 4 rigs made it without winching. my buddy Chris and I made the left side ledges other 2 took the bypasses. It was dryer when we were there than it was in your videos though.

Some of my local buddies are heading back to flat nasty the 2nd weekend in oct. I'm possibly out for any trips for a while due to scedule changes at work. I may atleast try and ride along.

I wouldnt bother with a taco rear uness your planning to run chromo axles from the get go. The 3rds might be a tad bit stronger but the axles are weaker than the ifs rears. I've beat my stock ifs rear axles hard with out even a twisted spline, and have seen taco rears break under way less stress. As a matter of fact i have seen narrow rear axles break, but never a ifs rear axle.. I'm shure its been done I just havent seen it. Isnt Jordan's rear an elocker rear anyhow? The elocker 3rds are = in strength to the v6 3rds, which isnt much stronger than a 4cyl 3rd due to comparable 8" ring gears. give it time, youll see when you get to that point and really start moving your weak links around. Those 4's will start showing your weak links. :)

my favorite places:

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Sep 06, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
IThat ledge a the start is crawlable even when wet. those ledges on up towards the exit were fun and requied some creative lines and some throttle bumps. We did that trail at night and all 4 rigs made it without winching. my buddy Chris and I made the left side ledges other 2 took the bypasses. It was dryer when we were there than it was in your videos though.

Some of my local buddies are heading back to flat nasty the 2nd weekend in oct. I'm possibly out for any trips for a while due to scedule changes at work. I may atleast try and ride along.

I wouldnt bother with a taco rear uness your planning to run chromo axles from the get go. The 3rds might be a tad bit stronger but the axles are weaker than the ifs rears. I've beat my stock ifs rear axles hard with out even a twisted spline, and have seen taco rears break under way less stress. As a matter of fact i have seen narrow rear axles break, but never a ifs rear axle.. I'm shure its been done I just havent seen it. Isnt Jordan's rear an elocker rear anyhow? The elocker 3rds are = in strength to the v6 3rds, which isnt much stronger than a 4cyl 3rd due to comparable 8" ring gears. give it time, youll see when you get to that point and really start moving your weak links around. Those 4's will start showing your weak links. :)

Well I've got a complete IFS rear but didn't want to richard with modifying it.  Also I need the rear width because with my taco rear and the 40's I'm rubbing on the frame at full stuff.  Also I've heard it rumored that with IFS housings and e-lockers you don't get full axle engagement at the 3rd member.  So I'm leaning towards a set of these: http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/rear-axle-parts/chromoly-rear-axles they're on sale for $145!  My only problem is my rear is from an 02 Tacoma.  It says the axles are for 95-00 Tacos.  Is it something to do with the ABS?  So it could be easier to build up my IFS housing and add 1.5" spacers to it.  If the chromoly axles will work, I think I'd just beef up my taco housing throw those in and be done with it.  Whats your thoughts?

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sep 06, 2010, 11:50:09 PM »
 :)
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sep 07, 2010, 04:34:56 AM »
Well I've got a complete IFS rear but didn't want to richard with modifying it.  Also I need the rear width because with my taco rear and the 40's I'm rubbing on the frame at full stuff.  Also I've heard it rumored that with IFS housings and e-lockers you don't get full axle engagement at the 3rd member.  So I'm leaning towards a set of these: http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/rear-axle-parts/chromoly-rear-axles they're on sale for $145!  My only problem is my rear is from an 02 Tacoma.  It says the axles are for 95-00 Tacos.  Is it something to do with the ABS?  So it could be easier to build up my IFS housing and add 1.5" spacers to it.  If the chromoly axles will work, I think I'd just beef up my taco housing throw those in and be done with it.  Whats your thoughts?

If the taco rear is already in there, I'd just run it till it breaks then figure it out from there. Just be prepared for the carnage by carrying along an extra shaft to stick in to get ya back to the trailer. A friend broke a narrow rear and took out his detroit. Another friend with a 8.4 taco rear broke an axle and it just broke smooth off. Both of them were running 36s. Another friend has been running a ifs rear with 40s and has only succeeded to break ring gears with the v6 3rds, but he is in a really lightweight rig. The ring gears have been my weak link as well.

I'm not familiar with the elocker rear diffs. Pretty well everyone I wheel with goes for the basics, and trailers their junk. Unlocking a diff just isn't necessary when you only see trail time. 90% of the locals run welded diffs. We all wheel low budget, and as hard as we can git it!

What backspace are your wheels? Rubbing the frame with 40s isn't necessarily because of your axle width.

my favorite places:

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sep 07, 2010, 04:50:13 AM »

If the taco rear is already in there, I'd just run it till it breaks then figure it out from there. Just be prepared for the carnage by carrying along an extra shaft to stick in to get ya back to the trailer. A friend broke a narrow rear and took out his detroit. Another friend with a 8.4 taco rear broke an axle and it just broke smooth off. Both of them were running 36s. Another friend has been running a ifs rear with 40s and has only succeeded to break ring gears with the v6 3rds, but he is in a really lightweight rig. The ring gears have been my weak link as well.

I'm not familiar with the elocker rear diffs. Pretty well everyone I wheel with goes for the basics, and trailers their junk. Unlocking a diff just isn't necessary when you only see trail time. 90% of the locals run welded diffs. We all wheel low budget, and as hard as we can git it!

What backspace are your wheels? Rubbing the frame with 40s isn't necessarily because of your axle width.

This truck used to be my DD so thats why the elockers.  Not sure on the backspacing on my wheels they could use some more in the negative direction thats for sure.  But, I got them cheap and its hard to find cheap 17s ;)

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sep 07, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »
jake would you happen to know what the caster is on your front axle?
81 swb 22re 35's

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
jake would you happen to know what the caster is on your front axle?

Not a clue but it has the stock front hanger and 5.5" shackles.  I get very SLIGHT wobble at 40ish mph.  I have no steering stabilizer though.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #132 on: Sep 08, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »
Not a clue but it has the stock front hanger and 5.5" shackles.  I get very SLIGHT wobble at 40ish mph.  I have no steering stabilizer though.

drop hanger will fix that :]
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Sep 08, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »
drop hanger will fix that :]

I think it'd make it worse.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #134 on: Sep 08, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
no way
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Sep 11, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
I may have found a set of free tons.  My cousin's brother has an old farm truck out in a field.  It has the FF 14 bolt in the rear but he wasn't sure how to tell a D60 from a D44.  So I'm going to look at it next weekend.  I'm thinking full hydraulic steering.  Probably do something similar to what Jud did to his cooter plug  :rofl2:  Thats all assuming this truck has tons...

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Sep 11, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »
Nice, that would be cool to score a free set of tons. Hell, I'd say get the truck even if it has a D44 just for the free 14B then you can always sell the D44 and part the truck out and get over half the money for a D60.

EDIT: If it's a D44 it should be balljoint and if it's a D60 it should be Kingpin. They both have 10 diff cover bolts.

Also a D44 will have 2 ubolts on the passneger side while a D60 will have one ubolt then two studs or bolts.

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2010, 01:39:32 PM by Jud »

"bout tree fiddy"

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Sep 11, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »
Nice, that would be cool to score a free set of tons. Hell, I'd say get the truck even if it has a D44 just for the free 14B then you can always sell the D44 and part the truck out and get over half the money for a D60.

yeah i'm keeping my fingers crossed.  have you been happy with the TG hydro steering so far? 

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Sep 11, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »

EDIT: If it's a D44 it should be balljoint and if it's a D60 it should be Kingpin. They both have 10 diff cover bolts.

Also a D44 will have 2 ubolts on the passneger side while a D60 will have one ubolt then two studs or bolts.

yeah its all growed up in weeds and my cousin wasn't too interested in crawlin around in em.  I told him I'd check it out next week while I'm up there.

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Sep 14, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »

checking to see if I cut enough from the floor boards.  oh and i swapped beds to my crappy one because I didn't want to hack up my pristine new mexico bed  :thumbs:

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Sep 19, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »
well I went and looked at those axles they are in fact tons.  however, he wasn't sure he wanted to get rid of them.  I figure I'll ask him once a year after they don't move for a while maybe he'll sell em to me.  So for now looks like I will be working with the Toyota axles.

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Sep 20, 2010, 01:51:24 PM »
Here is my list of want I'm wanting to do next since I'm not going to tons yet:

Trail Gear's Trunnion bearing Eliminator kit
5th Stud mod
ARP Studs
Knuckle Ball Gussets
Maybe 4.70s in the rear case
Hydraulic assist would be nice too
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2010, 02:33:10 PM by -Jake- »

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Sep 21, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »
sounds like a good plan. i've watched this build the whole way. keep up the good work the 40's look awesome.
81 swb 22re 35's

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Sep 27, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
I pulled my entire rearend out this weekend.  It had cracked around the driver's side perch.  They must be extremely weak around those perches.  I haven't wheeled it hard and it cracked somehow.  So I ordered some 1/4" wall 3" ID DOM that I am going to weld on from the backing plate and go 9" to where the axle tube necks up to bigger.  Then I think I am going to order Sky's rear axle truss and weld it on.  I plan on making my own spring perches.  I'll also be putting together my own flip kit.  I'll have to use 3.5" u-bolts since the DOM OD is 3.5"  I also picked up an 85 front housing this weekend so that might find its way under my truck.  I'd say it wont see a trail for a while.  For my birthday I am getting ARP knuckle studs and TGs Trunnion Eliminator kit and some knuckle ball gussets. 

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Sep 27, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »
you have the tacoma elocker housing correct? so they as weak as people say it seems.
81 swb 22re 35's

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Sep 27, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »
you have the tacoma elocker housing correct? so they as weak as people say it seems.

Yep its out of an 01 Taco.  Its ok though I paid $150 for it complete ;)

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Sep 28, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
Here is my list of want I'm wanting to do next since I'm not going to tons yet:

Trail Gear's Trunnion bearing Eliminator kit
5th Stud mod
ARP Studs
Knuckle Ball Gussets
Maybe 4.70s in the rear case
Hydraulic assist would be nice too

For the price of all that you can buy the axles. Then sell you Toyota axles to pay for the disc brakes on the 14B and steering for the D60. You'd be really close to having the tons done then...

"bout tree fiddy"

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Sep 29, 2010, 06:02:56 AM »
For the price of all that you can buy the axles. Then sell you Toyota axles to pay for the disc brakes on the 14B and steering for the D60. You'd be really close to having the tons done then...

I know, I just don't know that I'm ready for tons.

-Jake- [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Oct 17, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
FINALLY got my rear housing fixed.  I bought 18" of 3" ID .25" wall DOM from speedmetals.com.  I ripped it and then cut it in half to beef up the weak parts of the taco housing.  It worked out awesome, better than I expected actually.

Here is the DOM for one side

Here is the stock side you can see my :pokinit:ty booger weld temporary patch to slow down the 90W.

Here is the driver's side almost done.  I welded about 1" at a time to keep warping to a minimum.  I made the perches out of 3" .25" wall square tubing.  I also boxed the ends in.  I bought some new u-bolts, 5/8" with 3-3/16" wide, and made my own top plates.  I also ran some 1.5" x 1.5" x .25" angle iron across the back.  Hopefully I never have to mess with it again.   :crossed:

I also traded some stuff to get a TG trunnion bearing eliminator kit from Dave'z.  I also traded a bunch of stuff to Brian Ellinger for a twin stick and ARP knuckle studs and some other little goodies.  I also picked up an 85 front housing so I might be trussing it, adding knuckle ball gussets and doing the 5th stud mod.  Then it'll finally be time to go wheeling again!  I guess ring and pinions will be my weak point now.