Author Topic: Any dreamweaver gurus?  (Read 1987 times)

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Any dreamweaver gurus?
« on: Nov 06, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »
I got my landing page loaded on my domain, but as i modify it and save, nothing changes on the actual website online... very frustrating as the preview in browser even reflects the changes, but the accesible website doesnt...cant figure it out!

I know this would be better asked on a computer tech forum or something, but i figured theres gotta be a few webmasters out there.... plus you guys are cooler to talk to  :biggthumpup:

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
Re: Any dreamweaver gurus?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »
I got my landing page loaded on my domain, but as i modify it and save, nothing changes on the actual website online... very frustrating as the preview in browser even reflects the changes, but the accesible website doesnt...cant figure it out!

I know this would be better asked on a computer tech forum or something, but i figured theres gotta be a few webmasters out there.... plus you guys are cooler to talk to  :biggthumpup:

I only have Dreamweaver on my computer at work so I can't open it right now and be precise, but if you go to something along the lines of "manage sites" see if you have a remote site specified.  It sounds like you probably do, in which case you're probably working locally and then any time you make a change, you have to select that file in your list and then click the little UP arrow for "put."  To "put" the file to the remote site and actually make the change.

I don't usually define a remote site, I just work directly on the active site.  But that can be kind of dangerious if you make a mistake--there's no going back easily.  LOL
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
yes i definitely have the remote site, ftp, all that set up right because the site is published online.... and each time i make a change i do save it and upload or "put" it onto the remote server, but nothing is changing....

its to the point where when i close the dreamweaver file and re open it, it looks exactly like i want it to, but  the site online hasnt changed one bit since the first time i uploaded it.  i wish i wasnt so illiterate when it comes to web stuff

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:02:06 PM »
Swith to Drupal, Marlin finally did.

As for your site, you have to make sure you either use html, or htm, and not both for your index page.

If this is all correct, make sure you clear your Browser Cache.

Try it on a second pc to make sure its not working there/

Whats the URL?

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »
ive already checked on different comps, and in different browsers, but its just not updating..

its www.release-clothing.com    btw.... but it should have a repeating patterned and gradient background and say "under construction" in the content area.

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
I see the gradient and pattern in the content area, but no under construction.

Check to see if you have the proper permissions on the directory. You can also try to delete your index file, then check you browser, and make sure its gone, then upload the new index file.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »
well i made some progress...   I went ahead and deleted the html and image files, modified and re-sliced the original photoshop file, and re-uploaded everything into both the local and remote sites.  Ironically, the background portion, which is totally constructed based off commands in dreamweaver finally updated, but the "under construction" which i REDID in the original file still wont show!

think i just figured it out, maybe... forgot to flatten before i spliced and that layer was a smart object... ima try fixin it that way

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »
think i got it... I always say no to including dependent files, but i guess i needed them, now everythings showin.... thanks for the input MPA and TrackVino!

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
Cool, I see it now.

You should really think about Drupal or Wordpress, its easy to use, update and manage.

www.drupal.org

It may even be available by your host.

Ill help you install it if you need help. Ive done it many times.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »
I'd consider those, but being a graphic design student I already have the adobe creative suite premium, and am being formally taught in these platforms so im really trying to familiarize myself with dreamweaver, fireworks, flash, etc...  I love photoshop and illustrator but dreamweaver is just plain weird!