Author Topic: 1988 Build! SAS'd, Bobbed w/ Pics and MORE TO COME!  (Read 12491 times)

kwitcherbeliakin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 35
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
    • Significance and Serenity: What is your life about?
1988 Build! SAS'd, Bobbed w/ Pics and MORE TO COME!
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:29:14 PM »
Been wanting to do this for a long time but finally took the time to upload pictures today. I put most of this up on YotaTech as well but am putting it up here so peeps looking to do the same can find it as well!

I had always wanted a Yota but for some reason always have had jeeps. :-( When I sold my last Jeep I said, "To hell with it... I'm getting my yota." I got the older body style as I like the boxier look and the fact it has less electrical components and computers to deal with... but should have got an 85 so I didnt have to SAS it later!

The truck when I intially got it was IFS and lifted roughly 3" on 33"x12.5" Mud Terrains. At first I stripped out the interior paneling and bedlinered the interior and installed new speakers/deck/subs. There were bucket seats in it when I got it as well.  I removed the stock front bumper and put on Marlins front bumper with the optional stinger... looks sweet and mean coming at you down the road! I am always looking for suggestions and simple fixes that make life easier! I have a list of them now and will add more pictures as time goes on!

Here some photos wheeling it shortly after getting it on the way up Martinez Canyon here in AZ.

Then after trimming the rear skirts for more clearance! Also just before it was bobbed which is shown next!

Marked out 12" to cut out.

Measured and lined cutting area. Taped it off so my cuts came out clean. Cut off the end section with the lights in it and removed the middle section as well. Ended up removing 14" total.

Simply used a grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Worked great... just make sure it pulls away from you instead of toward!

Cut the frame off even with the back shackles and then rewelded the rear of them to the frame.

Lined up finally!

I almost just left it like this... looked awesome!

But had to finish it off someday!

Welded along it and man did it ever take some time to learn to weld this thin sheet metal! Welded from one side... spott welding... then I welded it proper from the other side as I could run a bead on it if I didnt hit only sheet metal. As long as it had some weld on it it was easy... but I ate so many holes in the bed along the weld at first!

You'll see some finished pictures of what it looks like when I repainted the whole truck later!

When I trimmed the skirts in the rear I went right to the edge of the tailgate so you can't even see the bed underneath it.

Here are some show shots I took... it was just a beautiful truck on a beautiful day!

Now on to the Solid Axle Swap (SAS)

Here is the front IFS all removed:

I pretty much took off the tires... dropped it to the ground and then lifted it a tiny bit... just to take pressure off the bolts. I unbolted the IFS front end and dropped it straight out, lift components and all. The parts will all go on an 87 Runner I got for 500 recently because the engine was knocking. I'll lift her for free, rebuild the engine, paint it and then sell it off unless I fall in love with her.

And the joys of having never done this before... first axle I bought looked great... except for looking at it from one angle. The short end of the axle past the pumpkin was BENT!!! Slightly but it was... damn thing. Had to go buy another one later. This was the first...

The second axle I cleaned up and then cleaned each part to bare metal and repainted it all. Added another brace and the knuckle ball kit from Marlin and heres the axle before... and after. Also added high steer kit from Marlin.

A few more shots from the front. Good looking SAS! Took it in to get aligned and the alignment shop asked what shop put the axle on? Told me to give tell them they did a perfect job ligning it up! Whew!!! That was my biggest worry... that I'd put it on crooked! I was a happy camper.

BED BOB AND SAS COMPLETE!!!

The next item of business was Marlin Rock Rails and a new paint job... I was looking at going to where there was

alot of snow for a few months and my paint has chips and flakes missing all over... just what I would get in the snow is alot of rust! So painting time.

First here are the rails welded on after removing the bed for easier painting:

I sanded down the body paint enough to remove the clear coat and ruff it up a bit so that the new paint gripped:

And the finished product! Sorry the first three are at night:

Here we go:

Another shot of the Rock Rails painted as well:

I removed the rear crossmember where the spare used to sit... it was thin metal and right behind the end of my tailgate... kinda in the way. I cut the ends off my old hitch and welded it in as my new crossmember in the rear... must sturdier and will take a pull to get me out of anywhere.

And yes the shackle angle does look steep but they are revolver shackles...

The light made this shot look kind of yellow but its the same as the outside. I ran out of paint with only that much left to go!!

Driver side Rock Rail:

Tonight I just relocated my MAF sensor. I moved the starter cellenoid further forward and put a hole in the drivers sidewall for my intake to go through. I will add a snorkle later but for now I installed it in the sidewall to save space and not make it pull the air so far. I'll get pictures at some point to show what I mean.

My intake used to be hooked to a snorkle before I got it and so it was secured with bungees. I attached it with bolts to the side wall sucking air through the fender. Looks good and now I have nothing on that side of the engine. Just open space!

Driveline adjustments are next. When I SAS'd it I got a new driveline made but they didnt get my holes right so it

doesnt line up with my flanges... I might take it in to them with the flanges and have them drill them again... or just order Marlin's triple drilled flanges... can't decide yet...

I have my gearing for front and rear but will put it in when I get spool and locker for the front and rear.

Thats about all I can think of for now... I'd love to hear some space saving engine mods for the V6 or parts that are superfluous and I can simply dispose of... Looking forward to comments, criticisms, additions and subtractions of any kind.
88 Yota... SAS'd, Bobbed and more...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54104.0

toyotaexo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 286
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling ON 1 TONS
    • View Profile
nice rig

84xcab

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 261
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Bad  :moon: man! This is pretty sick. My 84 tan xcab got the skirts trimmed today and is getting bobbed 13inches tomorrow. I saw yours and I flipped, I hope mine looks that awesome. My antenna base even got loose like yours :gap: Oh and be sure to check in in the new members area to.

:welcome: to :turtle:
Bobbed 84 xtra cab, pickin up parts as I go.

If at first you do not succeed, put it in 4low and try again.

kwitcherbeliakin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Thx.  :thumbs:

Took a bunch of work but I love seeing it when I get each project finished!

Didnt know there was a new members section...  :hammer: I always just search for what I need.

I'll check it out.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
nice
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
That thing is clean, makes me wish i had a xtracab pickup  :hammerhead: now you need dual cases :thumbs:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

80_yota_pickup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
smokin truck i am very jealous about the extra cab. i got a first gen and it is tight! so did you got with a 3" spring when you did the sas or go bigger?
SAY i WON't... AND i WILL

80 pickup SB with 87 4runner SR5 interior,22re swap, welded F&R, 5" allpro springs, ultimate duals, 36" iroks, DIY beadlocks,SB bobbed 16",

coming next: full cage, longfields, and 5.29's

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
great job
I have a 86 extcab bobbed
what paint did u use?
looks like antique white?

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Reminds me of mine  :yupyup:, nice job though, looks great
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

kwitcherbeliakin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
smokin truck i am very jealous about the extra cab. i got a first gen and it is tight! so did you got with a 3" spring when you did the sas or go bigger?

I put in 4" springs packs in the rear... at least thats what the guy I bought it from said! and a front spring pack frpm an 83 toyota... that thing is SOLID. It wasnt a lifted spring so far as I know but it sure took my front end and didnt sink near as far as I thought! I don't know if its lifted or not but I think just the way the SAS worked out its higher than the rear lifted even if it was. Lol. The front has the 4 1/2 Marlin Shackles as well with spacers to tighten in on the springs. Right now the front sits a about an inch higher than the rear. :(

Gotta fix that but I broke my highlift jack the other day... sheered one of the damn bolts that holds it in place right off!

I'm replacing my revolver shackles in the rear to make up the difference from front to rear. I like the flex of the revolver shackles... but don't hit a bumpy rolling road going fast in them... whew! Acts like a spring in the rear and sends me bouncing end to end! :) Guess I could put my rear shocks back on though!

The Ext cab is great. :) I've thought of turning it into a 4runner by removing the back and adding a topper either hard or soft. I've seen some nice ones done and its been growing on me... but I like the possibility of taking it flatbed or exo'd one day with no bed... so who knows! Until then I will be content with all that space!!!

The color -

what paint did u use?
looks like antique white?

was something like a 'pebble'... and I can't believe I forgot its exact name... I better remember before I need more for touchup or something! It is a SATIN type... not Metallic, Primer, or Flat. Whatever it is I like the way it turned out! :) Because money was short and I didnt want to ORDER the paint I used the best I could find. A metal Krylon paint. It was the only paint in any Tan color I could find where they had enough for me. I used a Rustoleum white primer underneath and speckled the red to dull it and help the tan grab better. Wish I could have done the whole thing with Restoleum but I couldnt find enough paint around here in the right color. :(

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Nice job.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
How did you paint that?! it looks pro man.

nice truck!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
was something like a 'pebble'... and I can't believe I forgot its exact name... I better remember before I need more for touchup or something! It is a SATIN type... not Metallic, Primer, or Flat. Whatever it is I like the way it turned out! :) Because money was short and I didnt want to ORDER the paint I used the best I could find. A metal Krylon paint. It was the only paint in any Tan color I could find where they had enough for me. I used a Rustoleum white primer underneath and speckled the red to dull it and help the tan grab better. Wish I could have done the whole thing with Restoleum but I couldnt find enough paint around here in the right color. :(

nevermind.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
You've got a clean truck
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

kwitcherbeliakin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Relocated MAF Sensor in 88 V6!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »
Thx.  :thumbs:

I was getting sick of the MAF being in the way. The owner before me was in the process of putting in a snorkle and really did a halfass job with it and chopped up the firewall real good!  :hammerhead:

So I had to fix it!
Here is a pic showing all the room I got in the process:

Notice it curves under the brake cylinder and then curves back up to the MAF sensor. Doesnt bend at all aside from the curve and there is no pressure on the brakes from it. I figured it is a shorter distance, gives me more room and is much more solidly mounted.

I moved the cellenoid or whatever that is below the MAF down. Notice how on one side there is no bolt. I was bolted higher up where the MAF is. I simply put the back bolt hole where the front hole (that you can see) would have been. I will drill a new hole in the front and thread it to secure it later... but its plenty solid as it is now.

Drilled 4 holes in the wall for the bolts and then cut a square to match the opening for air into the MAF.

I didnt get a picture on the inside of the fender because I didnt want to take it off but for now I have used some screen to cover it up and still maintain airflow without getting lots of dirt. I am going to get a simple round air filter to put in there before long and eventually continue the bend up for a snorkle. Like this it wont have to go so far sucking air.

And a top view from the sidewall:

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i like your xcab!!  they are the best!  so who did the engine swap?
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

kwitcherbeliakin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
i like your xcab!!  they are the best!  so who did the engine swap?

The Xcab does rock! If I had a reg cab my seats would stick out the back window! :)

I wish I had an engine swap! I'd love diesel but who knows theres alot of options! One day I will, though what I don't know...

Just a V6 under the hood. Well taken care of as far as I know. Why'd you think I got an egine swap anyway!? Lol.

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i didnt even notice from your thread topic that it is an 88!  i figured it was an 84.  the only xtra cabs i have ever seen are 84's   i didnt even know they made xtra cabs up until 88.   so the reason i asked if it had an engine swap is because i thought it was an 84, and if that was the case then v6 wouldnt have been available yet! lol 
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

95SAS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
sick truck nice and clean!
1986 extracab, SAS 38.5's Locked Duals, truggyfied, beadlocks
1988 2wd bagged and body dropped 3'' with a healthy 22r....

my build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35602.0

80_yota_pickup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
so did you finish the snorkle or just run the MAF to the side like that?
SAY i WON't... AND i WILL

80 pickup SB with 87 4runner SR5 interior,22re swap, welded F&R, 5" allpro springs, ultimate duals, 36" iroks, DIY beadlocks,SB bobbed 16",

coming next: full cage, longfields, and 5.29's

Straight_Axle_Swap_86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Jun '08
  • Build it, break it, fix it, repeat till your broke
    • View Profile
    • my 86 build
looks like it came from the factory, nice work man

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
i like the color :D good work

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jul '08
  • When in doubt Romp it out
    • View Profile
HEY BRO how the hell have you been havent seen you since azrocks 08 damn man your trucks changed alot doin good on it man love i was the black and green 1st gen toyota out there that lead the trail when we did martinez canyon check out my build my yotas been down since then but should be up and goin here soon again i hope ill be keepin on eye on this build :beerchug:

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
hell ya man lookin good!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

kwitcherbeliakin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
I havent done the snorkle yet... havent seen water deep enough where I am yet to justify it! I rerouted the MAF because of an airflow problem and remedied it! Sorry it took so long to reply back... I forgot to turn on email updates!

I'll take a few more pics and put them up!

I just got a detroit for the rear and it will be in before long!

so did you finish the snorkle or just run the MAF to the side like that?

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
how you been man ???

kwitcherbeliakin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Busy as can be! Been ripping my truck apart, working full time and going to school way more than full time!

When are you finishing up your build? or at least getting her running again!?

how you been man ???

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
damn sounds fun. ill be finishing her up here soon hopefully

kwitcherbeliakin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
well get her done! She doesnt do anybody any good sitting at home!

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
check out the build man shes changed pretty good its the top link on my signature haha yeah i know man its been driving  :screwy: seeing it sit there that long when i get it done i wana get a run together you should come out man