Author Topic: who can help me with the special dmv people  (Read 7129 times)

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Re: who can help me with the special dmv people
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:09:15 AM »
In California, a DMV worker has the ability, to reduce all penalties to zero.  If you get a nice worker you may just have to pay back reg.  When I was building, I failed to register for two years, and they said I owed 577.00 for my 86.  I insured it, then went to the DMV, the lady was nice, then reduced it to $149.  Big difference, the registration actually said fees paid $577, but I only had to pay $149.  This was the office in Capitola, near Santa Cruz.

blackSR5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »
Man that sucks. I would say "F" California and move the F way from that bull state. I had a street bike stolen and when I got it back 1.5 yrs later they made me pay the late fee for the registartion as well as the fee for not having insurance in the bike. I DIDNT"T EVEN HAVE IT so why would I have insurance on it....duh!! Good luck!!
Want a Runner or a truck...and a DIRT BIKE!!!

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2008, 12:05:14 PM »
thought of a couple things.... i read on dmv site they suspend your reg if you dont have insurance... since i never had the truck insured is that something to work with?

found an affidavit for non use... http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5090.pdf i think that may help as well...
rest in peace Effay

01 taco needs, duals, front axle, linked rear, exo...

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
I think that affidavit is the same one or similar to non-op.  I doubt if you can get it back dated.  Just an FYI, when your reg is suspended for no insurance, that just impacts the legality of driving it.  If you simply don't insure the vehicle for a few years, you'll still be responsible for the back fees. 

I think your best bet is to spend some time compiling all your paperwork you have so far, if you haven't already.  Any receipts you've got, the CHP process you went through, etc.  Whatever records you don't have, go back to the office that issued them, and for a small fee, you should be able to get copies.  That way, you can take them to a new person at the DMV, with a giant folder of paperwork, covering all your bases, and showing that you did it the way they said, it just took a long time.  The person may just go along with it, and follow the original plan, or they may cut you some slack on the fees, simply because they don't want to work through all the paperwork. 

Sounds like you're fighting an uphill battle, Not saying its right, but ultimately, it comes down to what they say to do.  If you don't, your truck doesn't get registered.  Your job now is to make it as easy as possible for them to see that it really wasn't running, and you've really been trying to play by their rules.  Even a printout from your insurance agent stating that your truck WAS NOT insured for the last two years may help. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2008, 11:25:30 PM »
insurance agent printout is a god idea... ive always kept the paperwork in a folder and always brought it in oganized... maybe i should un organize it to confuse them :)
rest in peace Effay

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
Without a non-op being filed with the DMV you are screwed regardless of what any other document says. The only other way around it is for it to have been in dealer stock. About the only suggestion I would have is if it doesn't have any citations or inquires by any agencies. Don't know if it will work but it is worth a try. If there has even been a parking ticket or even an inquiry by an agency when (if) you pushed it out on the street the day you cleaned out the garage, you are screwed.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 24, 2008, 05:34:25 PM »
alrighty... fish bowl tactic works... went in found a level headed person... all fees cleared. the reg i paid 3 years ago will become active in march and i have a red sticker till then.
rest in peace Effay

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 24, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »
Funny how everybody who works there is an expert, yet you never get the same info twice and are usually able to do what most their employees claim to be impossible.  Congrats man!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #38 on: Dec 24, 2008, 08:19:35 PM »
That's why I love AAA they are there for you, I've always gone through them if possible. There are some things they can't do but that's when you pony up and go to a registration service and have them work on it.

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 25, 2008, 12:09:18 AM »
i talked to AAA they dont handle such things... at least not here... so i guess i got lucky at the dmv finding the one sane person in the state
rest in peace Effay

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
They don't provide all the services, they are limited on what they can do for you. Mostly basic registration services, when it gets to things like the problem you had they can't help.