Author Topic: Special Forces  (Read 1527 times)

NoPower

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Wish the 87 had V8 power...
    • View Profile
Special Forces
« on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:40:26 PM »
Hey I know there are alot of other soldiers on this web site so I thought I would throw out a few questions. Is anyone on here SF and if so how do you like it? I am thinking about trying out for SF. My wife is NOT happy with my choice but it's what I REALLY want to do... Any advice? Amy was ok with my first deployment but is NOT really intrested in me doing another. Just some chit-chat in the camp....thanks in advance :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2009, 08:20:23 PM by NoPower »

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Special Forces
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2009, 04:44:15 AM »
What branch are you in?  I assume Army because in the Air Force we call it special operations.  What is your current MOS?  Tell me the job,not the code designation haha.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
Been there, done that!!! Got out because of the wife and kids(not a bad thing). If your wife is being difficult about a simple deployment then SF is not for you. I was an E-5, Airborne, AirAssault, Pathfinder, (just a few, I wont list my whole DD214). Many, many deployments, in and out of the country. Spec Ops at Ft Bragg for 6.5 yrs. I was the huah soldier but the family life suffered for it. Do your "real" homework on what the SF soldier does and compare it to what your lifestyle wants and needs are. In a nut shell, lots and lots of time away for training, ie deployments, training for deployments, dedication to your "team", gone for days/nights at a time. Dont get me wrong, I loved it when I was single, but when you have a wife and possibly children in the equation-does not work. I gave it all up to be a better "family" husband and father. That may sound girly to some and very masculine and honorable to others. I made my choice and I am happy for it.  Either way look at the BIG picture. Hope this helps in your decision.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

NoPower [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Wish the 87 had V8 power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »
In Afghanistan I was Infantry and served with the 82nd. I am now a tank mechanic which is a 63 series but also have an 11 bravo (infantry) and 63 bravo light wheel vehicle mechanic mos. I am in the Army for now but can't decide if I want to reup. I have also been looking into doing private sec. for like Blackwater or something along those lines. :dunno:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
I'm in EOD, we get alot of the extra training and a similar ops tempo that the special forces guys have. depends on where you get stationed at for the deployment rate. there are guys that i work with, been in for 9 years and about to go on deployment #6 (6-8 month deployments). other bases its alot slower so do lots of research and if you can get in contact with anybody in the field your interested in ask them lots and lots of details.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech