Author Topic: who can help me with the special dmv people  (Read 7128 times)

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
who can help me with the special dmv people
« on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:36:34 PM »

ive had enough. and heres the deal.

i bought a tacoma out of an insurance auction in 2006
i bought a frame at some point of time after that

i put the truck 99% of the way together and went into the dmv and said "ok what needs to be done to make this a legal vehicle?"

they responded by saying "you need a brake and light, vin verification, smog, and weight cert, the first step for you is to go to a weigh station get the cert, then go to chp and get a new vin"

so i did

went in paid my reg, gave them a weight cert and they said "as soon as you go get your b&l and smog we can give you plates and complete your registration."

so it took about 2 yrs since i had personal things going on and didnt finish the last tid bit. yesterday i go in and get a brake and light and smog and bring it in to the dmv. they say "well you owe about $290 in sales tax and $500 in late registration and fees since you havent paid the last 2 years" i told them i had paid sales tax when i purchased the truck they asked for proof and i had no receipt. so they stick me with some oddball huge fine i have to pay. anyways this has all happened after ive delt with two ppl saying what i want to do is physically impossible. they send the manager to talk to me, sort of, i wait for a half hour and he comes out of the office goes and gets a glass of water and just looks around, then goes over to a phone and proceeds to talk about baking cookies and laughing about whatnot... personal call. i get frustrated and get up and clear my throat rather loud the lady gets up to go remind him im waiting he smiles at me and turns around and continues to talk for another 10 minutes. when he finally gets to me he says he can do $400 to have me registered untill may. the fees i still have to pay are still back registration and $290 for tax that i have already paid but he "voided the penalties" not to mention i need a new vin AGAIN and that would mean i would need to get all the tests done AGAIN for the new vin

i leave

when to another office today and they told me i now had $1200 in back fees on the frame i used, $700 on the cab and $290 of sales tax and there was no way around it

another 2 hours later they decide that dmv made an error and my $154 i paid towards registration can go towards paying my back fees and i had to get my truck registered by the frame number and could not use my new vin from chp.

im honestly losing it, they apparently can "cut me a deal at $450 starting price" im not going to pay back fees for a vehicle that never made it on the road and was never fully allowed to be registered. there response to me saying i never received a registration renual was well its because it was never completed.

seriously i have done nothing other than what the dmv has asked me to do and now they are screwing me over.. surprise surprise

who knows someone that can even know someone that can help me here someone that understands the process of building a truck and how parts go together and didnt just read a book. ive talked to about 5 dmv ppl and each one tells me something different... ANYONE have any ideas???

01 taco needs, duals, front axle, linked rear, exo...

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: who can help me with the special dmv people
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »
If you get a new VIN, then there wont be any back fees to pay right?  lol i say screw the DMV, they did the same thing ot me and my truck.  except my back fees were $512. after paying $4k on the thing, you kind of have ot pay it.  But not to steal your thread, seriously, cant you get a new vin and avoid the fees?
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
i cant because they check your old vins on the vehicle to clear it for the new one. not to mention i already paid on the new vin i already received. what i dont understand is i hand someone two titles two years ago and say now what and they say abcde and now they say the titles should have been junked to create the new one and never did so i have to pay fees from then

there is supposed to be a lady that does stuff for the local hot rod club that if you give her a $100 then she takes care of it for you cause she actually understands and has done it. im sick of dealing with ppl that just cant understand and have a different opinion from everyone else down the line
rest in peace Effay

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

slabcs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 329
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:10:54 PM »
Saw you towing your Tacoma south today.
Relentless

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »
yea well tuesday your gonna read in the paper about someone with my name on monday going ballistic in the dmv haha
rest in peace Effay

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »
any chance your a member of AAA Auto club?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:02:41 PM »
yep

i dont think they do title transfers do they?
rest in peace Effay

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:05:22 PM »
When I belonged they did ALL dmv stuff.
I would transfer vehs for me many times.

and the person they had doing it knew what to do.

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »
might have to try it tomorrow then.... im a platinum member for some reason. i dont think ive ever used it but its worth a shot.. for some reason i dont think they can do it but thanks for the good idea
rest in peace Effay

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:17:56 PM »
get a wrecked taco and swap your vin#s
done
F dmv
and if you want to get technical take it to chp afterwords for a blue tag
all they do is check for stolen parts
they dont care about dumb :pokinit:
they are way more reasonable than dmv workers
just dont tell them what you did.

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:19:42 PM »
so how is buying a wrecked taco cheaper than 450?........... anyone have any personal experience
rest in peace Effay

llamas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »
ive had enough. and heres the deal.

i bought a tacoma out of an insurance auction in 2006
i bought a frame at some point of time after that

i put the truck 99% of the way together and went into the dmv and said "ok what needs to be done to make this a legal vehicle?"

they responded by saying "you need a brake and light, vin verification, smog, and weight cert, the first step for you is to go to a weigh station get the cert, then go to chp and get a new vin"

so i did

went in paid my reg, gave them a weight cert and they said "as soon as you go get your b&l and smog we can give you plates and complete your registration."

so it took about 2 yrs since i had personal things going on and didnt finish the last tid bit. yesterday i go in and get a brake and light and smog and bring it in to the dmv. they say "well you owe about $290 in sales tax and $500 in late registration and fees since you havent paid the last 2 years" i told them i had paid sales tax when i purchased the truck they asked for proof and i had no receipt. so they stick me with some oddball huge fine i have to pay. anyways this has all happened after ive delt with two ppl saying what i want to do is physically impossible. they send the manager to talk to me, sort of, i wait for a half hour and he comes out of the office goes and gets a glass of water and just looks around, then goes over to a phone and proceeds to talk about baking cookies and laughing about whatnot... personal call. i get frustrated and get up and clear my throat rather loud the lady gets up to go remind him im waiting he smiles at me and turns around and continues to talk for another 10 minutes. when he finally gets to me he says he can do $400 to have me registered untill may. the fees i still have to pay are still back registration and $290 for tax that i have already paid but he "voided the penalties" not to mention i need a new vin AGAIN and that would mean i would need to get all the tests done AGAIN for the new vin

i leave

when to another office today and they told me i now had $1200 in back fees on the frame i used, $700 on the cab and $290 of sales tax and there was no way around it

another 2 hours later they decide that dmv made an error and my $154 i paid towards registration can go towards paying my back fees and i had to get my truck registered by the frame number and could not use my new vin from chp.

im honestly losing it, they apparently can "cut me a deal at $450 starting price" im not going to pay back fees for a vehicle that never made it on the road and was never fully allowed to be registered. there response to me saying i never received a registration renual was well its because it was never completed.

seriously i have done nothing other than what the dmv has asked me to do and now they are screwing me over.. surprise surprise

who knows someone that can even know someone that can help me here someone that understands the process of building a truck and how parts go together and didnt just read a book. ive talked to about 5 dmv ppl and each one tells me something different... ANYONE have any ideas???
You must live in calyfornia go to a  SMALL TOWN and register it's amazing the difference, I lived in lake Tahoe and had to go to truckee ,the place and it was terrible ,, someone told me to go to Quincy about an hour away No Problem no  friggin politics.....try it ! problem is all the states are broke   so there trying to get  MONEY
don whitman

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:35:09 PM »
i already live in that small town you speak of, its worse than the college town over the hill i went to today
rest in peace Effay

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
mayby a burned rolled truck ???

just a thought
buddy of mine did it when dmv said 540

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
unless its local its not practical. i dont want to spend the fuel and time doing it when i have a perfectly legal truck sitting on my trailer right now dmv is just jerking me around due to there errors... just like the lady said the 1800 was due to dmv errors so is the rest of this fee
rest in peace Effay

llamas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
i already live in that small town you speak of, its worse than the college town over the hill i went to today
over in Chico ?
don whitman

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
just north of SLO on the 101

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »
you said go to a small town... i live in a small town. my small town dmv sucks
rest in peace Effay

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »
hows the dmv in santa maria?
rest in peace Effay

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »
BAD!

llamas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:59:07 PM »
BAD!
SORRY...........................................
don whitman

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
hmm who lives in a hillybilly state i can send my titles to and information and have the hillbilly dmv take care of making it legal and just send me my title back and ill just "buy" a "new truck" from out of state :)
rest in peace Effay

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »
There was an article in one of the 4xrags years ago called "the fish bowl theory".  The author had a old jeep truck that hadn't been registered in CA ever, had a registration from colorado that was like 12 years out of date and he had no title just a bill of sale.

He spent the whole day at the same DMV going to each line available.  Each line gave him wildly differing answers on just how much red tape he'd have to go through and how much cash it'd cost.  The last line he went through had him fill out a single form on the spot and they handed him the registration and plate right there and mailed the title.  He was convinced that they all reached under the counter into a fish bowl for an answer. :hahaha:

Anytime I have anything I figured I'd have an issue with I go to a farm store in a super small town that has a one woman DMV that is open on saturdays.  I can register anything I want with no issues. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:53:25 PM »
where is this town you speak of cause i need to go!
rest in peace Effay

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »
im gonna add to the list since they want me to register it as the frame now not the new vin chp gave me ill have an 01 motor in a 04 truck according to vin so i wont be able to smog. dmv said today they cant register it by the cab vin which i know is incorrect because when i build my 90 extracab on a 85 shortbed frame is was a 90 pickup. but apparently that is not a possible thing to do....
rest in peace Effay

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »
man, I feel for ya.
I know Paradise dmv near me is by far the best one I have ever been to.
never any wait and always smiles.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »
You should have filed a non-op with the DMV for both vins when you first started the process. If you read the details of the receipt you were originally given you would have found that the fees paid are only good for 120 days. I have gone beyond the 120 days but non-op'd the vehicle which saves the fees you paid. Don't ask me why but once beyond the 120 days they make you pay them again and charge penalties. Plus just recently fees for reg. were doubled so it sucks to be in CA.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:43:40 AM »
ya, and if you non-op a vehicle and drive it and get caught.  it voids the non-op and have to pay back reg till the date u non-oped it.  I got my truck from a tow yard and the guy had it on non-op (so it was void).  the 3rd DMV person tacked on 600 in fees the past 2 "didnt catch the error apparently"  I just assumed the lady was pocketing the money.
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

llamas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:53:49 AM »
ya, and if you non-op a vehicle and drive it and get caught.  it voids the non-op and have to pay back reg till the date u non-oped it.  I got my truck from a tow yard and the guy had it on non-op (so it was void).  the 3rd DMV person tacked on 600 in fees the past 2 "didnt catch the error apparently"  I just assumed the lady was pocketing the money.
AHHHH... the golden state !!!! what a beautiful place to live...
don whitman

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:03:09 AM »
You have to remember these are state employees who get paid the same regardless of job performance, customer satisfaction or anything else related to how they do their job.  In most cases even if they "help" you out and do it wrong the state will kick it back and deny it anyway. 

I had this happen when I bought a car from a dealer and he failed to give me the proper paperwork required when buying from a dealer in my state.  I do IT work for my local dmv office and the manager ran it through for me without the proper form and gave me the plates.  2 weeks later I got a letter from the state saying they were missing this form and the plates were canceled. 

You biggest problem is you waited 2 years to get it done and in most case the average worker in the local dmw office has no idea how to resolve your issue.  You should probably contact the main state dmw office by phone and explain your situation and ask him how to get it resolved.  Unfortunately you will probably not get out of this cheap any way you do it.  States, especially California, purposely makes this process hard to deter people from doing it all the time.  Also, many of these laws were changed after hurricane Katrina because there were literally hundreds of thousands of automobiles that they didn't want recirculated back into society once they were junked.   
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me