Author Topic: 3.0 V6 Power Mods  (Read 2842 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
3.0 V6 Power Mods
« on: Sep 28, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »
So im trying to figure out if there are any "cheap" power mods that can be done to these things, yes its the V6 and i never expect it to be a powerhouse, but is there anything besides $400+ headers, and $400 ECU mods? :dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 V6 Power Mods
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2008, 02:03:43 PM »
Get rid of it.

Seriously, there isn't much out there.  Everything for them is pretty pricey, and not really worth it in the long run.  I'd say the best thing you could do is upgrade your air intake, get rid of the rat maze that is in there.  That helped my truck.  I'm just running a K&N intake.  Proper gearing in the diffs makes a world of difference with whatever size tires you have on.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2008, 10:19:13 PM »
so for your intake, wahta bout all the sensors and crap? you got a pic handy?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2008, 08:14:37 AM »
so for your intake, wahta bout all the sensors and crap? you got a pic handy?
The K&N one has all the stuff on it already.  Its pretty much bolt in, and directly plugs in.  Its only the MAF that gets replaced.  I don't have a pic, or a camera right now, sorry.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »
i put a bigger throttle body in and a k&n intake with a jet chip and mine works fine it has about 170hp but i also put on a magnaflow converter and flowmaster exhaust.
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »
i put a bigger throttle body in and a k&n intake with a jet chip and mine works fine it has about 170hp but i also put on a magnaflow converter and flowmaster exhaust.

How much was the chip and the throttle body?   Everything I've looked at for power upgrades was pricey, and he's looking for cheap.  Be nice if they've dropped in price recently, might look into it :gap:

-Ronald Reagan

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2008, 12:46:15 PM »
i got the throttle body from doa racing 2yrs ago for 125 i think the chip a few yrs ago was 250 i bought both in oct of 2006

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »
i got the throttle body from doa racing 2yrs ago for 125 i think the chip a few yrs ago was 250 i bought both in oct of 2006

:psss:  that comes awfully close to the $400 headers :gap:

I think the cheapest I ever found the throttle body for is 190, but I didn't ever look at DOA.  Are they even still in business?  I had some close friends have repeated bad experience with them, so I try to avoid them.

-Ronald Reagan

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2008, 02:08:18 PM »
so is your chip an actual chip? or did you do the send your ECu into them thing? cuz right now thats $400. :disturbed: and how do you like the throttle body? noticeable improvement?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
so is your chip an actual chip? or did you do the send your ECu into them thing? cuz right now thats $400. :disturbed: and how do you like the throttle body? noticeable improvement?
Right now, I wouldn't worry too much about power upgrades.  If you set your truck up right, with the right gears for the right tires, the 3.0 will suit your needs.  Going from Reno to Loon via Carson City and South Lake Tahoe and back, I never had to drop below 55, even over echo summit, which is a pretty climb coming out of the lake basin.  Thats with 5.29s and 35" tires.

-Ronald Reagan

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2008, 02:19:51 PM »
Right now, I wouldn't worry too much about power upgrades.  If you set your truck up right, with the right gears for the right tires, the 3.0 will suit your needs.  Going from Reno to Loon via Carson City and South Lake Tahoe and back, I never had to drop below 55, even over echo summit, which is a pretty climb coming out of the lake basin.  Thats with 5.29s and 35" tires.
yea, im just thinkin if theres anything fairly simple ill try to  do it now when i gotta get the new motor in is all, but once i can im gonna gear it.

which remids me? you wanna sell your front diff to me so you have to go SAS? :gap:

or once you go sas...

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
yea, im just thinkin if theres anything fairly simple ill try to  do it now when i gotta get the new motor in is all, but once i can im gonna gear it.

which remids me? you wanna sell your front diff to me so you have to go SAS? :gap:

or once you go sas...
Well, I already promised it to someone else, but he says he doesn't need it anymore, so let me check with him, and if he still doesn't want it, then its all yours :thumbs: 

I'll throw in all my spares with it too. :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »
Well, I already promised it to someone else, but he says he doesn't need it anymore, so let me check with him, and if he still doesn't want it, then its all yours :thumbs: 

I'll throw in all my spares with it too. :thumbs:
coolbeans, just lemme know what you want for it and when. :thumbs:

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »
Headers,intake and electric fan to keep it a little cooler. I ran all downey and they told me not to waste my money on throttle body and chip oh and balance the injectors i've been told

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
So im trying to figure out if there are any "cheap" power mods that can be done to these things, yes its the V6 and i never expect it to be a powerhouse, but is there anything besides $400+ headers, and $400 ECU mods? :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2008, 05:52:42 PM »
I bought the jet chip and had my friend that worked at toyota put it in the computer. with the new throttle body i picked up like 10hp but i did notice that i did get better fuel economy

Rix86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »
400 dollars doesn't buy a lot....
having the lower half of the intake ported helps with power, as does cleaning (porting) the ports and bowls, and multi-angle valve jobs....
You'd have to do it all yourself to stay under 400 bucks, though.
400 might get you a better air filter and a cat back exhaust system at a muffler shop.
INCREDIBLY RANDOM