Author Topic: IROK'S VS. MTR'S  (Read 14307 times)

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
IROK'S VS. MTR'S
« on: Sep 15, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
I am trying to figure out what tires to buy when I finally finish off my SX's and cant decide between the 39.5 irok's and 37" mtr's I would like 40" mtr's but they appear to only be offered in a 17" wheel size and I dont want 17's..... I just wanted some input from you guys....
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: IROK'S VS. MTR'S
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
basically comes down to how often do you drive on the street?

if never: iroks

if often: mt/rs
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
im not thinking of road use just use on rocks and snow basically.... I really want some input from someone who has owned both tires I know people who own either or but thats not much to compare with!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2008, 02:51:45 PM »
i love my MTRs!! They work awesome. super sticky
You'll never take me alive

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »
dont own the irocks but own the mtrs and they are awsome.... whent to the mcr7 and was around a buncha swampers ''not just irocks'' and the mtrs were way stickier and hooked up better
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »
ya I have been hearing alot of that from my local buddies too! thanks for the input guys!

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »
what about a side wall comparison?? i always see people on here with mtr's that rip and poke holes in there sidewalls. i think fordh8r put a tree root through his at the con. are the irok sidewalls any better than the mtr's? :dunno:  im also debating on mtr's or iroks and would like the best bang for the bucks  :thumbs:

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2008, 10:48:46 PM »
i love my MTRs!! They work awesome. super sticky

wait til you run iroks. if its a dd get MTRs if not get iroks. i have both and wheeled both and there is no comparison. The iroks plain hook up, it is the best tire i haver used in the snow and on the rocks.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2008, 11:08:54 PM »
wait til you run iroks. if its a dd get MTRs if not get iroks. i have both and wheeled both and there is no comparison. The iroks plain hook up, it is the best tire i haver used in the snow and on the rocks.

:werd:

I have not run Iroks myself but I have run MTRs. Almost every single one of my friends runs Iroks though and if street life/ride are not an issue you cannot beat the Irok. The MTR is a great tire on the street and offroad but it is no Irok. If its not a DD go Irok. I would run them if my truck wasn't my daily driver. MTRs are about the best tire for the rocks if your truck sees a lot of pavement though.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2008, 04:58:50 AM »
Goodyear MTR's suck in the mud.  They should be called RTR's (Rock Terrain instead of Mud Terrain)  Just my  2 :twocents:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:15:16 AM »
Goodyear MTR's suck in the mud.  They should be called RTR's (Rock Terrain instead of Mud Terrain)  Just my  2 :twocents:
ya I know they really do suck in the mud.... and I live in Oregon so mud is everywhere usually so myself I have been leaning to the Irok's especially since my truck is a trailer queen! again thanks for the input guys!

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:34:23 AM »
i like my iroks... havent had the mtr's yet

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »
I started with MTRs and bought a set of IROKs to move up to the 39.5s. As everyone seems to be in agreement (MTRs for street & trail; IROKs for trail only) the only comments that I would make in addition is you really need to air down the IROK to break it in and for it stick in the rocks. The other possible issue is the sidewalls on the bias ply IROK seem to be thinner than the radial MTR. That being said, I haven't had any trouble so far with the IROKs and at 4psi they do hook up. :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
I started with MTRs and bought a set of IROKs to move up to the 39.5s. As everyone seems to be in agreement (MTRs for street & trail; IROKs for trail only) the only comments that I would make in addition is you really need to air down the IROK to break it in and for it stick in the rocks. The other possible issue is the sidewalls on the bias ply IROK seem to be thinner than the radial MTR. That being said, I haven't had any trouble so far with the IROKs and at 4psi they do hook up. :twocents:
thats what I was looking for! I have heard about haviong to break the irok's in with them at like 1 psi and drive in circles and a few other ways... how did you do yours?

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
i broke mine in by airing them down to 8-10 psi and driving around on the street for like 20 miles
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »
thats what I was looking for! I have heard about haviong to break the irok's in with them at like 1 psi and drive in circles and a few other ways... how did you do yours?
My second trip to the Hammers on the IROKs, John James told me to air them down (I was at 8psi and we dropped them to 2psi) about 1/4 of the way up Sledge Hammer. It made a HUGE difference. Since then, I run them at 4 to 5psi on the trail and around 20 psi in the limited time it is on the street. ;)

edit: Here is a video of the run with tires at 8psi and being denied. :hammerhead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXNAPMMsKaw

And a pic later on the run aired down. :yesnod:
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2008, 04:58:43 PM by Shoyrtt »
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

yotakid707

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
ive owned MTRs and IROKs and i love both tires but if your doin offroad only id stick with the IROKS i love mine they arnt as sticky as the mtrs but they hook up nice

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »
these guys are all right on the money about the Iroks, all my buddies run them and i just bought my 3rd set, they suck for DD because of the wear issue, but are really quiet on the street. and they defianately need some break in, the tread peaks in the middle and wears out first if you dont break them in. I drove around town at 6-8 psi for a week or so.........
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
 :thumbs:once again thanks for the great input guys! :beerchug:

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:57:13 PM »
I wanted the MTR's until I found they bring the suck in mud.  And that's most of what I run in.  And since we live in Oregon, IROK's (swampers) are the way to go.  I'm going with the TRXUS M/T.   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:14:44 AM »
I wanted the MTR's until I found they bring the suck in mud.  And that's most of what I run in.  And since we live in Oregon, IROK's (swampers) are the way to go.  I'm going with the TRXUS M/T.   
yes I have also heard that the mtr's really do bring the suck in the mud and you nailed it rite on the head... where in oregon are u at?

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »
yes I have also heard that the mtr's really do bring the suck in the mud and you nailed it rite on the head... where in oregon are u at?

Irok's it is  :yupyup:...he's the cheezemaker probably from tillamook  :think:

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »
Irok's it is  :yupyup:...he's the cheezemaker probably from tillamook  :think:
:smack: good point!

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:57:22 AM »
Another vote for MTRs suck arse for a trail only mud tire.  IMO this isn't even a choice.  Go Irok.   I don't see mud often, but when we do, everyones MTRs do not clear mud.   Even after attempting to clear them..  Still full of mud.  TSL's, mud just falls off the tread.

My experience, the Irok is much sticker than a MTR in the rocks.  

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:00:56 AM »
 8)

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »
My 39.5" Iroks have treated me well on the Colorado rocks so far!  Alot of guys here in CO run MTR's because their rigs see alot of street time.  My brother had a set of 36" bias Iroks on his YJ.  He got 3 good years out of them driving to the trails and back.  He even got a Moab run on them (6 hours away).  If your drive times are short, Iroks would be a good choice.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2008, 01:25:42 PM »
I've ran the 37/14 iroks and now i have 37/13.5 pitbulls for general use the pitbulls are a way better tire than either. But in the snow specific iroks own, and in the rocks the pitbulls seem to hook up better.
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2008, 05:36:23 PM »
I like the BFG MTs myself.  At least the new type 2 ones they came out with last year.  They are a *vast* mind-boggling improvement over the older design. 

As for mud and snow, that's a function of the profile more than anything.  My truck has stock tires and they are pretty thin - great in snow and mud.  Wider tires aren't going to be that great either way in that stuff...  Not without studs or a silly tread design like the IROKs.  The new MTs do have wider voids though and seem to not get clogged as easily...

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #28 on: Sep 26, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »
I like the BFG MTs myself.  At least the new type 2 ones they came out with last year.  They are a *vast* mind-boggling improvement over the older design. 

As for mud and snow, that's a function of the profile more than anything.  My truck has stock tires and they are pretty thin - great in snow and mud.  Wider tires aren't going to be that great either way in that stuff...  Not without studs or a silly tread design like the IROKs.  The new MTs do have wider voids though and seem to not get clogged as easily...

i drove my iroks for a few weeks here in the winter and was suprised how well they hooked up compared to the MTRs. i was driving on pakced snow and ice and never once felt out of control or even slipped a tire much
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2008, 11:45:46 PM »
Old MTRs - yeah they sucked in snow and ice.  New ones.. better.  But they really are Baja tires - sand and dirt and rocks IMO more than true mud and snow tires.