Author Topic: Nate would you buy this???  (Read 2389 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Nate would you buy this???
« on: Aug 07, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »
This is my boss's new bicycle.  He paid $5000 for it.  Is it worth it?  I told him I don't have $5000 in my truck yet.  And it doesn't come with pedals, so I think he got screwed!  :rofl2:

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Nate would you buy this???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »
somebody saw him coming  :bumpinbutts:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2008, 10:41:18 AM »
Road riders are a ridiculous bunch!  Nope, I wouldn't drop $500 on that new!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »
Bicycles are a sickness.   My old Mountain bike was well over 8k retail value.  but i worked in the industry so I got a lot of pro deals.

Cervelo makes some nice stuff.  but hands down i prefer Ti over Carbon. 

and that thing could use some better wheels.  Dont get me wrong the eastons are good wheels, I never had a problem with them at my last shop.  With a bike that nice ya should at least have some hand built wheels with Chris king hubs and Mavic hoops.  My personal favorite combo.  I'm old school with that stuff though, seems lately that everybody loves those specialty wheel sets.

My carbon road frame with Ti steer tube fork paid for half of my truck when I sold it.  :yesnod:
I like to Drive!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »
road bikes are crazy expensive...ive seen em up wards of 10k at shops. i only have about $1400 in my downhill/freeride mt bike. itll pay for duals when i sell it.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

yotacrwlr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since May '08
  • rockin ifs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »
the only bike imma ride is one with a motor  :yupyup: i wouldnt pay that much for a bicycle  :slap:
|[  ]/____TOYOTA____\[  ]|

T otaly
O verhauled    after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

Bwahahahaha...I am enjoying exercising my 2nd amendment rights.  The 357 is great cause I can go to the range and shoot cheap 38 specials all day long and save the good rounds for the communists.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2008, 01:27:58 PM »
I paid $60.00 for my Huffy.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »

:funny:

You beat me to it.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2008, 08:20:37 PM »

my wife bought me a $60 huffy for fathers day
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »
In school I was on the team didn't have anything like that then, Raleigh was the thing then, I of course had one it was fast for its day. Didn't cost much though bought the frame and built it myself.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2008, 08:37:38 PM »
some hand built wheels with Chris king hubs

Chris King and his business can suck my left testicle, then when all the salty goodness is gone they can move over to my right testicle.  They may have good components, but as a business they're beyod pathetic  ::)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »
This is how I rolled in the 70's :king:

but mine did'nt have a bell :rivers:
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
this is the $60 bike my wife got me for father's day
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2008, 10:31:09 PM »
Mudguts, I rolled with the banana seat and ape hanger bars too!!  :yesnod:  That banana seat was nice to get the girl in the pregnant dog position.  :eyebrow:   But, I had the shorter sissy bar.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2008, 11:28:09 PM »
Chris King and his business can suck my left testicle, then when all the salty goodness is gone they can move over to my right testicle.  They may have good components, but as a business they're beyod pathetic  ::)

I haven't heard this before. :dunno:  Please elaborate?
I like to Drive!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2008, 08:47:07 AM »
Poor Wermy missed out on the 60's.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2008, 09:04:31 AM »
Poor Wermy missed out on the 60's.

why yes I did.   :(
I like to Drive!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
I haven't heard this before. :dunno:  Please elaborate?

Several years ago they moved their business to redding, less than 1 mile from where I live now.  At the time I lived between 15 and 20 miles away.  I applied for a job there and was very straight forward that I'd take any job they had in order to get my foot in the door of an industry I loved and wanted to be in for the rest of my life.  There were about 5 or 6 people conductin the interview, one being a very snide, rude and inconsiderate individual.  I didn't let it show that I felt that and gave a good interview, which was going well until he asked if I'd ride my bicycle to work.  I explained that I'd really like to, but considering the condition of my knees and the fact that I'd have to ride quite some distance on dangerous roads with no bicycle lanes I didn't think it was a viable option, though I said I'd be willing to give it a try.  He asked how long it would take me to ride there, and having never done it I said I'd guess it'd take well over an hour given the circumstances.  He pretty much ended the interview right there.

That's not entirely it though.  They didn't last but a couple/few years in redding.  I've long since lost the articles, but they spoke very poorly of our town and tried placing the blame on us for their downward spiral while here, but (if memory serves) what it boiled down to was they made very poor decisions and investments during that time and weren't willing to man up to them.  It's a shame, because now their name is :pokinit: in this area, an area rife with bicyclists.
RIP KYOTA

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »
Several years ago they moved their business to redding, less than 1 mile from where I live now.  At the time I lived between 15 and 20 miles away.  I applied for a job there and was very straight forward that I'd take any job they had in order to get my foot in the door of an industry I loved and wanted to be in for the rest of my life.  There were about 5 or 6 people conductin the interview, one being a very snide, rude and inconsiderate individual.  I didn't let it show that I felt that and gave a good interview, which was going well until he asked if I'd ride my bicycle to work.  I explained that I'd really like to, but considering the condition of my knees and the fact that I'd have to ride quite some distance on dangerous roads with no bicycle lanes I didn't think it was a viable option, though I said I'd be willing to give it a try.  He asked how long it would take me to ride there, and having never done it I said I'd guess it'd take well over an hour given the circumstances.  He pretty much ended the interview right there.

That's not entirely it though.  They didn't last but a couple/few years in redding.  I've long since lost the articles, but they spoke very poorly of our town and tried placing the blame on us for their downward spiral while here, but (if memory serves) what it boiled down to was they made very poor decisions and investments during that time and weren't willing to man up to them.  It's a shame, because now their name is :pokinit: in this area, an area rife with bicyclists.

I remember when they moved to Redding from santa barbra.  They did a crappy job at planning and executing the move of their production facility.  It took them over 11 Months to get me a set of road hubs.  :headshake: 

That is a terrible interview story and I'm truly sorry to hear that Nate.  They made a lot of really poor business decisions in that time period and as a result their company went seriously down hill.   It is too bad to hear that they blamed the local area, i did not know this. 

I like to Drive!