Author Topic: California supreme court passes gay marriage...  (Read 9349 times)

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
California supreme court passes gay marriage...
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »
 Doesn't bother me, I'm not gonna tell people how to live their lives.
 whats your  :twocents:?
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
I think you need to reread whatever article you were reading. The Cali justices didn't "pass" anything...they struck down, as unconstitutional, a law banning gay marriage.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Actually, what happened was the California Supreme Court overturned a voter approved ban on gay marriage.  I am against any court overturing anything that was approved by the voters.  That is just another example of the court system trying to make laws and thats not their job.   Now what will happen is that the same voters will appprove a bill to change the Californai State Constitution so the courts cannot do what they did today.

As far as gay marriage goes,  If two same sex people want to be together I think they should have all the legal rights and responsibilities as a married hetero couple, just don't call it a marriage. Make up a new name for it and integrate it into our laws.  By allowing same sex couples to call it a marriage they are attempting to re-define what the term means.  The only analogy that comes to mind right now is that you wouldn't call your Toyota Pickup a car because its not a car, its a truck.  Calling it a car would be re-defining what the term car means.  

The whole issue is just another example of a very small group of society trying to force the majority to comply with them instead of that group adapting to society.  They have coined this term "politically correct"
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Actually, what happened was the California Supreme Court overturned a voter approved ban on gay marriage.  I am against any court overturing anything that was approved by the voters.  That is just another example of the court system trying to make laws and thats not their job.

So, if the citizens of your state passed a law that no citizens could own guns...you wouldn't want a court to overturn that?

INHO, the court did exactly what it is supposed to do. Someone brought suit, the justices read the law and found conflict with the constitution of California and nullified the law. The legislature...passed a poorly thought out and poorly written law. There are two choices...rewrite the law to meet the deficiencies that the court found or, and this is the best choice, amend the constitution.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile

As far as gay marriage goes,  If two same sex people want to be together I think they should have all the legal rights and responsibilities as a married hetero couple, just don't call it a marriage. Make up a new name for it and integrate it into our laws.  By allowing same sex couples to call it a marriage they are attempting to re-define what the term means.

:werd:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
So, if the citizens of your state passed a law that no citizens could own guns...you wouldn't want a court to overturn that?

They couldn't because it is protected by the US Constitution but I see your point.  The only option is to change their state constitution because the California Supreme court is nearly all liberal judges and they would shoot it down no matter how good it was written.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
The problem with laws is...unless you cover every jot and tittle...someone, somewhere will take umbrage and at least try to overturn the law.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
They couldn't because it is protected by the US Constitution but I see your point.  The only option is to change their state constitution because the California Supreme court is nearly all liberal judges and they would shoot it down no matter how good it was written.

So didn't you answer yourself there...if the ban was Unconstitutional per the state constitution, then it is the JOB of the court to rule that the law cannot stand.  That is the "checks and balances" function of the court.  It is what they are there for.

All state constitutions as well as the federal constitution provide that all people are afforded equal protection under the law.  This means in its simplest terms that you can't pass a law that restricting the rights of certain people whether by race, creed, religion, sexual preference, etc.

This really isn't even a close one.  You have the basic rights to LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS.  This ban clearly violates both their rights to liberty and pursuing their own happiness.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
As far as gay marriage goes,  If two same sex people want to be together I think they should have all the legal rights and responsibilities as a married hetero couple, just don't call it a marriage. Make up a new name for it and integrate it into our laws.  By allowing same sex couples to call it a marriage they are attempting to re-define what the term means.  The only analogy that comes to mind right now is that you wouldn't call your Toyota Pickup a car because its not a car, its a truck.  Calling it a car would be re-defining what the term car means.  

They do have a name for it already. A civil union.
What ticks me off about this is it only applies to gay partners.
I never wanted to get married. I had no need for marriage, I wasn't going to have kids, so I saw no need for marriage except... for the 'benefits of marriage' which is the same reason they want it.
I would have been much happier with a 'civil union' but this is not an option for straight couples then. and why not?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
They do have a name for it already. A civil union.
What ticks me off about this is it only applies to gay partners.
I never wanted to get married. I had no need for marriage, I wasn't going to have kids, so I saw no need for marriage except... for the 'benefits of marriage' which is the same reason they want it.
I would have been much happier with a 'civil union' but this is not an option for straight couples then. and why not?

Good point!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
MWM, if you wanted to fight that battle I bet you would win pretty easily, but since marriage laws/tax breaks already exist, likely no one has figured it worth the money for the lawyers to bother.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I wouldn't even know how to start fighting it but even is even..if gays can have a civil union then so can straights.
How do you even start to bring that up. That pisses me off to no end
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I ASS u ME that they will say it is because as a straight couple you can get married.

Where is the Mammoth?

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
 :woohoo: That means I can marry my hand!!!    :rofl2: :rofl2:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I had nightmares for a year about being trapped after getting married.

Where is the Mammoth?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
:woohoo: That means I can marry my hand!!!    :rofl2: :rofl2:

Wouldn't that be a form of incest?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Wouldn't that be a form of incest?

:dunno: :shhh:

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
All state constitutions as well as the federal constitution provide that all people are afforded equal protection under the law.  This means in its simplest terms that you can't pass a law that restricting the rights of certain people whether by race, creed, religion, sexual preference, etc.

This really isn't even a close one.  You have the basic rights to LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS.  This ban clearly violates both their rights to liberty and pursuing their own happiness.

First, marriage is not a right.  You have to obtain a license to do it.   Not everybody has the right to be married.  If it was a right then it would be able to go down to the local governemnt office and say, "ok I want to get married, assign me a wife".  

Second, the law does not restrict the rights of anybody, it simply defines what a "marriage" is and is not.  

Third, if homosexuals are successful in re-defining the term marriage then it would violate my rights to LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS because I would no longer be happy.

As I said before I have no problem with homosexual couples forming a legally binding union between each other, just call it something else.  

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
First, marriage is not a right.  You have to obtain a license to do it.   Not everybody has the right to be married.  If it was a right then it would be able to go down to the local governemnt office and say, "ok I want to get married, assign me a wife".  

Second, the law does not restrict the rights of anybody, it simply defines what a "marriage" is and is not.  

Third, if homosexuals are successful in re-defining the term marriage then it would violate my rights to LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS because I would no longer be happy.

As I said before I have no problem with homosexual couples forming a legally binding union between each other, just call it something else.  

Very nice  :biggthumpup:

But, your happiness doesn't matter you selfish man you! Now go hang some drapes!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
First, marriage is not a right.  You have to obtain a license to do it.   Not everybody has the right to be married.  If it was a right then it would be able to go down to the local governemnt office and say, "ok I want to get married, assign me a wife". 

You are absolutely correct that marriage itself is not a right.  It is, however, an expression of you right to liberty and freedom.  Under California law there are also legal and tax benefits as a condition of the marriage itself.  It is the denial of these benefits under the law to gay and lesbian couples that is unconstitutional.
While the argument can be made that they could just give them the benefits under the title "civil union", as it stands currently, those same benefits do not fully come with a civil union, only a marriage.  The law passed by voter referendum made no changes to the definition of civil union, it only denied the benefits of "marriage."  Therefore the ruling of the court only encompassed very narrowly, was the law, as written, constitutional?  The answer is clearly NO.

Per your second point, the changes the definition of marriage in no way reasonably affect your right to life or liberty.
Understand the operative word in the third part of the Declaration is the PURSUIT of happiness.  You do not have the right to BE happy, you have the right to pursue that which will make you happy barring that your pursuit would infringe on the rights of others.  Therefore, you have the right, should your happiness be bound by the definition of marriage, to get lawyers and file suit in court to have this overturned.  You will therefore be pursuing the definition of marriage that will result in your happiness.  Realize of course, that many a pursuit of happiness ends unfulfilled.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 06:40:56 PM by CTENG in KS »

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
I don't know why this is such a big deal. If two ppl want a marrage, let them.

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
What it really boils down to is that every legal resident of California gets to pay the bill for the courts and lawmakers to battle back and fourth for something that 3% of the population wants.

jrock

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
What it really boils down to is that every legal resident of California gets to pay the bill for the courts and lawmakers to battle back and fourth for something that 3% of the population wants.
Or really cares about. :beerchug:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Meh, whatever it doesn't surprise me to see that in cali. 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
According to the news of which I have little faith in, the reason they overturned the ban was due to the California constitution prohibits such a ban. I smell an amendment to the constitution. :gap:

Personally I don't care what they (gays) so in their lives but legal marriage brings many advantages with it like taxes, heath care and the like. As far as I know marriage is between a man and a woman. I'd have no problem if there were allowed Civil Union but marrage no I'm sorry that is reserved for a man and a woman. They made their choices and in doing such cannot be married but a Civil Union which is basically the same thing could be in the cards for them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:18:50 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Plus they already get married in their own way the same way a man and a woman does, it's just not recognized by the state as a legal binding contract and does not carry the same advantages. FYI what they are really trying to do is get all the things that come with a legal recognized marrage like health insurance coverage, tax breaks, credit scores and all the things that go with being married and that is what this all boils down to. If allowed it will cost us all a butt-load of money to now cover all of these now legally married people.

jrock

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Plus they already get married in their own way the same way a man and a woman does, it's just not recognized by the state as a legal binding contract and does not carry the same advantages. FYI what they are really trying to do is get all the things that come with a legal recognized marriage like health insurance coverage, tax breaks, credit scores and all the things that go with being married and that is what this all boils down to. If allowed it will cost us all a butt-load of money to now cover all of these now legally married people.
So preventing "gay" marriage is all about saving "straight" ppl $$?

Phew, for a second there I thought Church was encroaching on State.  :usa: :clap:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Now that they have the gov't out of the way on that can I propose a trade?  They can get married but at the cost of them paying for AIDS research.  :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
But if they are allowed marriage then treating their HIV would be covered under their insurance.