Author Topic: spuare tube driveshaft debate  (Read 4463 times)

84socal

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 888
  • Member since Aug '07
  • freind of johnson valley
    • View Profile
spuare tube driveshaft debate
« on: Apr 02, 2008, 02:22:07 PM »
ok   guys   this one guy on another forum  says that using a square tube driveshaft  on a daily driver  is a dumb idea    and he said no one runs them  for a dd   so a was just wondering if u guys could post pics   weather   its a dd   or trail only rig     that has a sqare shaft     thanx guys   i just wanna shut this guy up
thanx
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2008, 02:29:07 PM by 84socal »
Lets shoot fireballs at it !!

OH man, we're  gonna get so  busted!!!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: spuare tube driveshaft debate
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2008, 02:24:10 PM »
are you talking about using it as a front or rear shaft? on a dd, as a front shaft, it wont matter... but if you use it on a rear shaft..
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

84socal [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 888
  • Member since Aug '07
  • freind of johnson valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »
   ya   front   sorry       thanx
Lets shoot fireballs at it !!

OH man, we're  gonna get so  busted!!!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »
Front is fine for DD as long as you have selectable hubs.

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »
Square front on mine and it's a dd, no problems.  :dunno:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »
I drove MINI's truck back from the Rubicon last year all the way to Tracy at 70 mph and it was fine  :dunno:

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »
I have a square DS in the rear on the Migo - I drove it from Tahoe to Loon last year :yupyup: No big biggy... not recommended for the rear though.  Fronts - as long as your hubs aren't full time locked in you'll be good.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2008, 04:37:36 PM »
x1000000000000  on the front.  You'll be fine with the hubs unlocked.  Mine used to be a DD, put about 15000 miles on it with a square tube :thumbs:  don't even notice it on the road.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2008, 04:45:25 PM »
Sorry, kind of off topic, but how what is the recomended top speed for a square shaft.  I live in Minnesota, so I occasionally end up driving around for a while with my front locked in because of the frequent snow.  If it is not snowing I I lock the frontend out, but during storms I drive with it locked in so I can put it into 4 wheel drive if I get into trouble.  Would I still be able to do this with a square shaft?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »
Sorry, kind of off topic, but how what is the recomended top speed for a square shaft.  I live in Minnesota, so I occasionally end up driving around for a while with my front locked in because of the frequent snow.  If it is not snowing I I lock the frontend out, but during storms I drive with it locked in so I can put it into 4 wheel drive if I get into trouble.  Would I still be able to do this with a square shaft?

This depends on how well balanced your driveshaft is - if it's a well made and balanced DS, then I'd say whatever your locked in 4wd can handle.  But not for long amounts of time - that'll wear and tear on your trans and axle.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »

I wouldn't recommend it.  In reality, it all depends on how well you balance it, but because of the shape, it'll never be perfectly dialed in.  I've run mine up to 65, and didn't have any vibes when I was on the gas.  It would vibrate when I was coasting though.  Obviously, you could do it, but I would think that the excess vibration would be bad for your seals, ujoints, etc. in the long run.  Since you need it so much, I'd probably go with a round shaft for the front.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2008, 05:22:30 PM »
Well, OldYellerCJ was doing about 70-75 in my truck with square rear and it did fine, driveline bolts were loose when we got back after 3 hours of freeway driving.

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »

This is the real question.  So it's your daily driver, how often do you run in 4wd on the street, in say snowy conditions like this guy?  If you're using your 4hi to get back and forth to work in the winter I wouldn't reccomend a square tube driveshaft.  If you're only in 4wd for trails, slow to med speed fire roads and stuff like that, then it's fine (assuming selectable hubs as has been pointed out)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
Yup front square on the Mammoth too. Would not have anything else. It's not a DD but we do go on road trips with it.

Just read the post above... Florida... not an issue.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »
I think having a square driveshaft is self defeating on a daily driver as 4 high becomes next to worthless. My truck sees snow, ice on the street and I like the extra bit of security knowing that my round driveshaft is balanced. I'm sure by now most people are rolling their eyes, but having any driveshaft vibration is self defeating to the lifespan of my transfer case and front diff bearings.

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
square up front for me as well I love it!
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »
I think having a square driveshaft is self defeating on a daily driver as 4 high becomes next to worthless. My truck sees snow, ice on the street and I like the extra bit of security knowing that my round driveshaft is balanced. I'm sure by now most people are rolling their eyes, but having any driveshaft vibration is self defeating to the lifespan of my transfer case and front diff bearings.
Everyones situation is different. My Runner is a daily driver with a square front shaft but I don't see the snowy/icy road conditions.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2008, 05:38:22 AM »
If you do any driving in 4wd over 30mph then I wouldn't do it.   Yeah, yeah it may seem fine on the highway. I 've heard that before but unless it is balanced your gonna get some serious vibrations up there that will cause other parts in your t-case and 3rd member to wear out prematurely.  Then you'll just spend the money you saved on the driveshaft fixing other stuff caused by the cheap driveshaft.

I don't see how an unbalanced square shaft can go down the highway fine at 65-70mph.  if a driveshaft gets out of balance by just a few ounces it will cause a vibration.  Maybe all the other junk vibrating drowns out the front shaft. :dunno:  Maybe I'm just older and less tolerant about the poor ride quality than most but I like my dd to be a smooth ride in 2wd or 4wd.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »
mine is strictly a non dd  if i drove on road might think about round
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2008, 03:03:28 PM »
2 square shafts in my driveway... both DDs... :yesnod:

With hubs unlocked and T-case in 2wd why would it matter?  The front is just sitting there not doing anything.  :dunno:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2008, 12:48:55 AM »
I have run a square front for over 2 years, DD with up to 60 MPH 4WD use (snow). If it is made well it wont have much vibration at all. My friend has made like 30 square shafts and he made mine for me. I was driving 60 MPH on the freeway, 6" snow 4HI and i didnt get any vibration. unless you plan on commuting regularly in 4WD a square front is a much cheaper way to go for a front shaft. I rarely use it higher than 20-30 mph at the most anyway so no, your friend is full of it. Its fine for DD use.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2008, 01:09:08 AM »
Another way to look at is if Toyota knew they could have saved money by making the front shaft square they would have done it. ditto for any other car company.

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »
Another way to look at is if Toyota knew they could have saved money by making the front shaft square they would have done it. ditto for any other car company.
:werd:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2008, 06:40:55 PM »
If you do any driving in 4wd over 30mph then I wouldn't do it.   Yeah, yeah it may seem fine on the highway. I 've heard that before but unless it is balanced your gonna get some serious vibrations up there that will cause other parts in your t-case and 3rd member to wear out prematurely.  Then you'll just spend the money you saved on the driveshaft fixing other stuff caused by the cheap driveshaft.

I don't see how an unbalanced square shaft can go down the highway fine at 65-70mph.  if a driveshaft gets out of balance by just a few ounces it will cause a vibration.  Maybe all the other junk vibrating drowns out the front shaft. :dunno:  Maybe I'm just older and less tolerant about the poor ride quality than most but I like my dd to be a smooth ride in 2wd or 4wd.

:dunno: the better they're made, the less they'll vibrate.  Mine is squared up really well, and I wrapped the inner section in duct tape to fill up the slight gap between the inner and outer section.  :thumbs:  Brandon on here welded mine up, and he did a great job :yesnod: 

I wouldn't recommend it on a regular 4x4 DD, when I built mine, I was living in the Sacramento area, and going up to the snow occasionally.  Its only been coming out of the storms coming over the pass on I80 that I had in locked in.  Otherwise I was wheeling slow, or in 2wd.  If I were to DD it up here in Reno, I'd seriously consider a round d-shaft, but It isn't a DD any longer, so I doubt I'll change it. 

-Ronald Reagan

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »
:imwithstupid:

Really, how often you use 4wd on the street should determine wether or not to use a square front shaft. I guesstimated that last year, I probably drove my 4runner about 15-20 days out of the entire year in 4wd (on the street, around town, or on the freeway) because of big snow storms. Other than that, I drive with the rig in 2wd, hubs unlocked. So nothing is happening with the shaft, its just sitting there. If you think you are going to be driving 100, 200 or all 365 days out of the year in 4 hi everywhere you go, id say get a professionally made round front shaft. Otherwise, it really doesnt matter. Find someone who has made a lot of square shafts and have them make it, it will barely vibrate or make any noise.

Most people will also agree that a square shaft is stronger than a regular shaft because there are no splines to jack up.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2008, 09:42:46 PM »
If you do want to go a cheaper route with a round tube, buy the long spline kit (marlin, Allpro, etc.)  and use some schedule 40 pipe.  Check out 4rnrick's tuki suzuki build.  He has a jig for building round tube d-shafts, and has a nice how to on his thread as well

-Ronald Reagan

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:04:11 PM »
A good friend would have provided a link! :gap:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2008, 05:04:33 AM »
I think square shafts are kinda ghetto.......every one I have seen is loud and clanky.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
I think square shafts are kinda ghetto.......every one I have seen is loud and clanky.
When do you hear it make noise? In 2wd or 4wd?

87 4Runner redo

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »

I don't know...maybe more like backwoods.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)